CW - Steve Loney rumors...

SpokaneCY

Apr 11, 2006
Spokane, WA
Isn't it possible that he's just a retired coach that loves football, has spent his entire career around helping young people learn the game and now just misses the game so he hangs around the program?

Is it possible? Sure but why would I take YOUR word for it? I think it's cool past ISU personalities are interested enough to want to be part of the program. I think we need help and I'm interested how his involvement came about. Did he reach out when Manning was gone? Is this a shot AGAINST Manning and his OC duties? Is he coaching special teams? Does he have practice day responsibilities?

I've never used the message board excuse - but I am now. If I can't find anything coming from our program, I'm going to reach out on these boards because I KNOW there are 2 out of 100 that either have the same interest, or have some real info.

• Dislike
Reactions: CyDude16

isufbcurt

Apr 21, 2006
Newton
I never say that thread... Could you link?

I'm curious about his capacity because CMC doesn't seem to do anything without thought. I'm curious about his role, his responsibilities, how he's affecting the offense, really just curious. Whom approached whom? I'm curious how many people you can have on the sidelines whether it's just coaches, consultants or if anyone can hang down there if you have a pass. Is he wearing a headset? How much is he apart of our program? Curious if Loney has any impact on play-calling or any of that stuff. I'm curious if there is "official" word from our leadership on this. Curious if we're still using that O-line consultant too.

I guess if I was making fun of a guy wearing a hawk hat in some random airport or uniform colors there would be more interest and less snark but this is all I have for ya'll.

He is most likely coaching the coaches, in other words lending his experience on handling certain situations (blocking techniques and adjustments). This sort of thing is mainly a planning thing, in other words he's watching film with the offensive staff and lending his wisdom. He is most likely not on the headset giving advice during the game but more giving it directly to the sideline coaches if he sees something.

You can have as many consultants as you are willing to pay. You watch some of these games every week and they show the coaches box and it's packed full of coaches and consultants.

cyrocksmypants

Dec 29, 2008
Washington DC
Are we using the other guy still?

Here's what's funny - I'm getting shade about asking about an old coach who many thought highly of but there are tens of thousands of posts on uniforms, old rock bands with no ties to ISU and hawks - ALWAYS about hawks. I'm personally interested in OUR program and those that touch it. Nothing more, nothing less.

Flame on I guess.

That’s not why you’re getting shade.

DeereClone

Nov 16, 2009

I'm curious about his capacity because CMC doesn't seem to do anything without thought. I'm curious about his role, his responsibilities, how he's affecting the offense, really just curious. Whom approached whom? I'm curious how many people you can have on the sidelines whether it's just coaches, consultants or if anyone can hang down there if you have a pass. Is he wearing a headset? How much is he apart of our program? Curious if Loney has any impact on play-calling or any of that stuff. I'm curious if there is "official" word from our leadership on this. Curious if we're still using that O-line consultant too.

I guess if I was making fun of a guy wearing a hawk hat in some random airport or uniform colors there would be more interest and less snark but this is all I have for ya'll.

What did you mean in your original post when you said something like "why he sucks so hard now" ???

Clonefan32

Nov 19, 2008

Here's what's funny - I'm getting shade about asking about an old coach who many thought highly of but there are tens of thousands of posts on uniforms, old rock bands with no ties to ISU and hawks - ALWAYS about hawks. I'm personally interested in OUR program and those that touch it. Nothing more, nothing less.

Flame on I guess.

I'd refer you back to your first post, which mentions literally none of this, while asking the question "why does he suck so hard right now?"

Just so I'm clear, you are wanting to know what role, if any, he plays on the staff, while also wanting to know "why does he suck so hard right now?", which I assume is a reference to our offensive line play, which according to you he may or may not be involved with.

Got it.

ChrisMWilliams

Publisher
Staff member
Bookie
Apr 10, 2006
Bondurant, Iowa
www.CycloneFanatic.com
Loney retired from the Cowboys a few years ago and moved back to central Iowa to be near his family. Campbell has an open arm policy to former players and coaches. He also greatly respect's Loney and his extensive resume, specifically with what he's done in the NFL. He is not on the staff in any official capacity and does not actually coach players, but is often a guy Matt will go to for advice on X's and O's matters. That's the gist of it, based off of what I know.

Clonefan32

Nov 19, 2008
Loney retired from the Cowboys a few years ago and moved back to central Iowa to be near his family. Campbell has an open arm policy to former players and coaches. He also greatly respect's Loney and his extensive resume, specifically with what he's done in the NFL. He is not on the staff in any official capacity and does not actually coach players, but is often a guy Matt will go to for advice on X's and O's matters. That's the gist of it, based off of what I know.

This fails to address why he "sucks so hard".

Cycsk

Year-round tailgater
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 17, 2009
This fails to address why he "sucks so hard".

Of course, it doesn't, because Loney is good. I can't believe how many posts are replying to a stupid comment by the OP that would have been best ignored.

cyrocksmypants

Dec 29, 2008
Washington DC
Of course, it doesn't, because Loney is good. I can't believe how many posts are replying to a stupid comment by the OP that would have been best ignored.

I mean, his stupid comment got @ChrisMWilliams to respond, something I still haven’t been able to do, and statistically speaking, I’m the best poster on the website.

CyDude16

Oct 2, 2008
Heads in the sky

Yep, doubling down on your stupidity, good work.

ArgentCy

Jan 13, 2010
Did he travel to Waco? Clearly the offense needs all the help they can get so I don't see any problems with having more experienced guys around. It makes me like Campbell more because he is at least willing to have these guys around and listen to them.

CYdTracked

Mar 23, 2006
Grimes, IA
Steve Loney has earned the respect to advise if the coaching staff wants him to. The man has an impressive resume of experience and had some of the best offensive lines at ISU under his tenure here. I'm glad to hear he's helping out in some capacity. He's been employed by 6 different NFL teams coaching the OL so I don't see why anyone would have issue if he is lending a hand on a volunteer basis to help out his alma mater.

Playing career
1970–1973
Iowa State
Position(s) Offensive lineman
Coaching career (HC unless noted)
Iowa State (GA)
1975 Missouri Western (OL)
1976 Missouri Western (OC/OL)
1977–1978 Leavenworth HS (KS)
1979–1980 Morehead State (AHC/OL)
1981–1983 Morehead State
1984–1986 The Citadel (AHC/OL)
1989–1992 Colorado State (AHC/OL)
1993 Phoenix Cardinals (AOL)
1994 Connecticut (AHC/WR)
1995–1997 Iowa State (OC/OL)
1998–1999 Minnesota (OC/OL)
2000–2001 Iowa State (OC/OL)
2002–2004 Minnesota Vikings (OL)
2005 Minnesota Vikings (OC/OL)
2006 Arizona Cardinals (OL)
2007 Drake
2008–2011 St. Louis Rams (OL)
2012–2013 Tampa Bay Buccaneers (AOL)
2015–2016 Dallas Cowboys (AOL)
2017 Dallas Cowboys (TE)

cycloner29

Dec 17, 2008
Ames

Flame on I guess.

dk4Mj6.gif

• Funny
Reactions: CYdTracked

Help Support Us

Become a patron