CW - Steve Loney rumors...

BWRhasnoAC

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 10, 2013
Dez Moy Nez
Everyone knows that great coached players magically over come physical short comings. Jimlad obviously.

kcbob79clone

Many pining away for him and it turns out he's been back with the program for how long? Really thought this would be bigger news but maybe I've missed an article or 2. I only have 10,800 posts and been active here since 2006 so must have just slipped by.

So let's just assume I'm silly and dumb, what exactly has Loney been doing? How long has he ben doing it? What's his role/responsibilities? How many coaches/consultants can you have on a sideline? Has anyone asked him a question? These are all journalism-ish questions so hoping the resident journalists would have some insight.

Thought journalism was just looking into old tweets, or since Loney is older then high school yearbooks

DeereClone

Nov 16, 2009
I'm with Spokane. I was very intrigued when I heard that Loney was back in an advisory role. He's a smart dude, and I'd be interested in knowing what he's contributing. I've certainly read articles about much more trivial matters.

I think a news story on Loney's career, what brought him back to Ames, and what is current role is would be interesting and a good read. Spokane is insinuating that Loney "sucks" and shouldn't be around the program. Two completely different things.

CloneFan4

Aug 5, 2010
West Des Moines
I guess I'm not understanding the "sucks" part of this especially when the offensive line has had some of their best grades under Campbell, this year.

Campbell and Co wouldnt be where they are now if they weren't so humble and acted as a sponge to any information they could take from various coaches and consultants.

We've had some of our best offensive lines in the history of Iowa State football under Steve Loney. I for one am thrilled and thankful that he's willing to give us his time and knowledge.

psychlone99

Apr 6, 2006
psychlone99.wordpress.com
I think a news story on Loney's career, what brought him back to Ames, and what is current role is would be interesting and a good read. Spokane is insinuating that Loney "sucks" and shouldn't be around the program. Two completely different things.
Thank you for clarifying. I agree with Spokane in the sense that I am interested in knowing more about Loney being on the sidelines. What is his role? Is he around the program all week? What room(s) is he sitting in on? Etc, etc.

madguy30

Nov 15, 2011
I'd bet these coaches would look really good if they were at OU. The play calling would be amazing.

isufbcurt

Apr 21, 2006
Newton
Many pining away for him and it turns out he's been back with the program for how long? Really thought this would be bigger news but maybe I've missed an article or 2. I only have 10,800 posts and been active here since 2006 so must have just slipped by.

So let's just assume I'm silly and dumb, what exactly has Loney been doing? How long has he ben doing it? What's his role/responsibilities? How many coaches/consultants can you have on a sideline? Has anyone asked him a question? These are all journalism-ish questions so hoping the resident journalists would have some insight.

He's not an official assistant, just a consultant. Pretty much doing what Hofner did before he left for the AAF league

FinalFourCy

Mar 5, 2017
Thank you for clarifying. I agree with Spokane in the sense that I am interested in knowing more about Loney being on the sidelines. What is his role? Is he around the program all week? What room(s) is he sitting in on? Etc, etc.
Probably just a fan offering some advice like all of us. Let’s not turn this into something it’s not and a needless headache. At the most he’s an analyst- just a sounding board for the staff.

https://www.kansascity.com/sports/college/big-12/university-of-kansas/article235530772.html

This week, The Star found five instances of KU football analysts — prohibited from giving on-field instruction by NCAA bylaw 11.7.3 — appearing to coach players over the last five months. The game and practice video reviewed included multiple examples of a special teams analyst giving directions during drills on April 9 and Aug. 9 and also in KU’s 29-24 home loss to West Virginia on Saturday.”

cyrocksmypants

Dec 29, 2008
Washington DC
I guess I'm not understanding the "sucks" part of this especially when the offensive line has had some of their best grades under Campbell, this year.

Campbell and Co wouldnt be where they are now if they weren't so humble and acted as a sponge to any information they could take from various coaches and consultants.

We've had some of our best offensive lines in the history of Iowa State football under Steve Loney. I for one am thrilled and thankful that he's willing to give us his time and knowledge.

Also, while the line was hot trash last weekend, before that, they’d actually been performing very well this season.

Clonefan32

Nov 19, 2008

Boy, if a guy with a ton of experience helping with our often-maligned offensive line has you this riled up I'd love to see how you deal with actual problems.

NorthCyd

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 22, 2011

Wow... someone's been eating their douche-flakes.

Clonefan32

Nov 19, 2008

Without doing much investigative journalism of my own, I would imagine the answer would look something like this:

"Coach Matt Campbell has brought on Steve Loney, a former offensive coordinator under Dan McCarney, in an advisory role with his primary duties being development of the offensive line. When reached for comment, Coach Campbell had the following to say: "I think very highly of Coach Loney, and when I learned he was available and willing to help us out I jumped on the opportunity. Coach Loney has been developing offensive lines for decades and his experience will help us immensely."

What else do you expect? Dig up that Coach Loney, after coaching, took up a second life as a Pentacostal minister in southern Louisiana? That he started his own dance academy for little girls? That he's quietly gaining support from within to overthrow Matt Campbell as head coach?

He's a guy on the sideline helping with our offensive line. That's the story.

SpokaneCY

Apr 11, 2006
Spokane, WA
I’d guess “dumb” was because there was a thread on this a couple of weeks ago.

He’s not an assistant coach. Looks like he’s retired in Ames and “advising” in his free time. CMC was wise enough to accept his help.

Why is this such a big deal to you?

I never say that thread... Could you link?

I'm curious about his capacity because CMC doesn't seem to do anything without thought. I'm curious about his role, his responsibilities, how he's affecting the offense, really just curious. Whom approached whom? I'm curious how many people you can have on the sidelines whether it's just coaches, consultants or if anyone can hang down there if you have a pass. Is he wearing a headset? How much is he apart of our program? Curious if Loney has any impact on play-calling or any of that stuff. I'm curious if there is "official" word from our leadership on this. Curious if we're still using that O-line consultant too.

I guess if I was making fun of a guy wearing a hawk hat in some random airport or uniform colors there would be more interest and less snark but this is all I have for ya'll.

SpokaneCY

Apr 11, 2006
Spokane, WA
Without doing much investigative journalism of my own, I would imagine the answer would look something like this:

"Coach Matt Campbell has brought on Steve Loney, a former offensive coordinator under Dan McCarney, in an advisory role with his primary duties being development of the offensive line. When reached for comment, Coach Campbell had the following to say: "I think very highly of Coach Loney, and when I learned he was available and willing to help us out I jumped on the opportunity. Coach Loney has been developing offensive lines for decades and his experience will help us immensely."

What else do you expect? Dig up that Coach Loney, after coaching, took up a second life as a Pentacostal minister in southern Louisiana? That he started his own dance academy for little girls? That he's quietly gaining support from within to overthrow Matt Campbell as head coach?

He's a guy on the sideline helping with our offensive line. That's the story.

Are we using the other guy still?

Here's what's funny - I'm getting shade about asking about an old coach who many thought highly of but there are tens of thousands of posts on uniforms, old rock bands with no ties to ISU and hawks - ALWAYS about hawks. I'm personally interested in OUR program and those that touch it. Nothing more, nothing less.

Flame on I guess.