Is Purdy Hurt?

SCarolinaCy

Jun 20, 2011
Greenville, SC
We haven’t had a starting QB finish an entire season in like 10 years. We haven’t had a QB talent like Purdy for more than that.

So fans want him to run the ball more....

Purdy was 30/41 for 278 with 2 TDS and 0 INT. Plus a game saving fumble recovery. Outside of taking a few more shots down the field, what more do you want him to do??
Agree. I noticed his throws to Pettway were darts. He is clearly most comfortable, at this point, in his securing the ball in tight spaces.

• Friendly
Reactions: Sighclone44

besserheimerphat

Apr 11, 2006
Mount Vernon, WA
As for the 4th and short play and 3rd and short plays.. those are RPO’s ant it’s QB choice and Purdy chose wrong....but part of that is calling the RPO.
I haven't seen a replay to know if it really even was an RPO or not, but that being said, if it was an RPO there's no way us fans can know if it was the right decision or not. To know that, you'd have to know what his pre- and post-snap reads are. It may be that pass was the correct read and it was executed poorly. You can't judge a decision on its results - there are too many other variables.

• Winner
Reactions: GoCats and cyence

besserheimerphat

Apr 11, 2006
Mount Vernon, WA
The clones need an O-line coach that can develop players. Well, the whole team needs that.
On the post game show, Bruns said the OL was improved. During the game, Jay Jordan tweeted that the backs were not gaining as many yards as the OL had them blocked for. All the OL haters and Bruns/Jordan can't both be right, and I know who's opinions I value more.

besserheimerphat

Apr 11, 2006
Mount Vernon, WA
Because his ability to scramble is what makes him good. If he can scramble, he can break the defense up.
Scramble != designed run plays

Let the RBs take the beating of designed runs, teach Brock to recognize when he should/shouldn't scramble (and for gods sake, slide when you can), then let him run the offense. They didn't fully do that yesterday, but I don't want Brock getting a significant number of QB keepers either. He's not built like Tim Tebow or Cam Newton to dish out or absorb a ton of big hits.

cyrocksmypants

Dec 29, 2008
Washington DC
Scramble != designed run plays

Let the RBs take the beating of designed runs, teach Brock to recognize when he should/shouldn't scramble (and for gods sake, slide when you can), then let him run the offense. They didn't fully do that yesterday, but I don't want Brock getting a significant number of QB keepers either. He's not built like Tim Tebow or Cam Newton to dish out or absorb a ton of big hits.

I don’t recall a whole lot of designed run plays from last year, unless you consider RPO or read option as designed quarterback run plays.

• Agree
Reactions: khardbored

CyTwins

Jan 20, 2010
Ankeny
That's awesome, but surely 13 points in regulation is disappointing?

Very. Execution in the red zone was pretty pathetic and we didn't really have any explosive plays. We moved the ball well and our front 7 were great. That's the positives

• Agree
Reactions: cyence

FinalFourCy

Mar 5, 2017
Very. Execution in the red zone was pretty pathetic and we didn't really have any explosive plays. We moved the ball well and our front 7 were great. That's the positives
More pathetic was only getting to the red zone three times in regulation, although 10 points in three trips is bad too

tolfbfan

Nov 29, 2015
Ohio
Glad I didn't watch on TV. The end of the world and all.

images

Reactions: Die4Cy

madguy30

Nov 15, 2011
On the post game show, Bruns said the OL was improved. During the game, Jay Jordan tweeted that the backs were not gaining as many yards as the OL had them blocked for. All the OL haters and Bruns/Jordan can't both be right, and I know who's opinions I value more.

Hot take for me is that Hall's going to get the timing down for things and be really good by October.

cycjob

Oct 10, 2014
The team adopted the #ProveIt mantra. I think it is safe to say that they didn't prove anything in the UNI game. I was very surprised Purdy had no runs. That is what makes the offense multiple and who doesn't like "Pump Fake Purdy". Purdy faking a defender out of his socks was the best part about last years team.

madguy30

Nov 15, 2011
The team adopted the #ProveIt mantra. I think it is safe to say that they didn't prove anything in the UNI game. I was very surprised Purdy had no runs. That is what makes the offense multiple and who doesn't like "Pump Fake Purdy". Purdy faking a defender out of his socks was the best part about last years team.

If a QB is scarmbling a lot, that's not a great thing.

I think roll outs should be common with Purdy especially with multiple tight ends. We'll see if the staff has that in the works.

Last year it was things like the lack of the check down to the RB that imo held things back....not at least rolling Purdy out is the same.

Perhaps the line can't get out there in time...I'd figure by year 4 that's an option.

Reactions: besserheimerphat

dualthreat

Oct 8, 2008
Purdy was fine today. What people need to be worried about is the OL. Based on today's performance it seems like all that offseason talk about an improved OL was all hype.

We ran for 185 yards which is probably an all time record for Iowa State against UNI. There's been several years we rush in the neighborhood of 50 yards.

And our backs weren't exactly lighting the world on fire. Few broken tackles. If anything that group is a little over hyped not the OL.

WTS, I like our backs. I'd start Lang again, then Hall and Kene. Sorry Croney, you looked good but when you fumble on the goal line.. you go to the bottom of the chart.

• Agree
Reactions: CyclonesRock

Cat Stevens

Mar 7, 2017
Glad I didn't watch on TV. The end of the world and all.

images

Yeah don’t pay attention to these folks.

Many of them shot off their mouths to their hawk fan buddies and had to eat crow, so their natural ***** came out.

There’s also a couple of non Iowa State fan trolls.

A couple of them want everyone to think they’re the smartest guys in the room (hint, they aren’t)

And finally you have the doom and gloom emo group.

There’s 11 shots left. The staff gets to do what they love the most, break down film and teach on the practice field. Their history tells me it’s gonna be ok.

Good to see you back.

ISUMojoMan

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 2, 2010
I Got home and watched the first half. Two penalties and a sack killed our first three drives, could have easily been up 21-0. It’s a weird game when you dominate statistically but not on the scoreboard. They got lots of film to watch, so hopefully it looks a little different against TOE! One good thing is they didn’t choke under pressure.

tolfbfan

Nov 29, 2015
Ohio
Yeah don’t pay attention to these folks.

Many of them shot off their mouths to their hawk fan buddies and had to eat crow, so their natural ***** came out.

There’s also a couple of non Iowa State fan trolls.

A couple of them want everyone to think they’re the smartest guys in the room (hint, they aren’t)

And finally you have the doom and gloom emo group.

There’s 11 shots left. The staff gets to do what they love the most, break down film and teach on the practice field. Their history tells me it’s gonna be ok.

Good to see you back.

A Championship Caliber team should be able to lineup and punish in these games. I don't believe CMC will ever show anything more than vanilla football in these type games. It will be great film for teaching and challenging. Next up!

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron