*** Official UNI VS IOWA STATE Game(Day) Thread ***

clonedude

Apr 16, 2006
I hear you, although we know otherwise. Seriously, it looks like the wildcards from Purdy that gave our offense a needed edge a year ago, has been coached out. We need him to improvise, as that creates more advantages than our staff can. See UNI’s freshman qb scrambling his way to keeping an outclassed UNI offense in the game.

Games like this are the cost of the approach working against good teams. What makes games against top-25 talent close, makes UNI/Drake close

I fear the coaching staff knows we don't have a backup QB that can win games for us, so the very last thing they want is for Purdy to take off running. It sure seemed that way to me. He never kept it on the RPO's either, even when it was glaringly obvious that handing it off would go nowhere.

• Agree
Reactions: khardbored

iowastatefan1929

Oct 26, 2006
too bad for newell
a sprain is at least 6 weeks
i figured having 6 good olinemen would be needed
now we gotta play those grunts in 2 weeks but have some time to get things together

• Dislike
Reactions: BigCyFan

FinalFourCy

Mar 5, 2017
I fear the coaching staff knows we don't have a backup QB that can win games for us, so the very last thing they want is for Purdy to take off running. It sure seemed that way to me. He never kept it on the RPO's either, even when it was glaringly obvious that handing it off would go nowhere.
It was the same with Kempt and Noland, which really hurt the offense. Not sure of the reason, but we’re okay with it resulting in the offense being stunted.

clonedude

Apr 16, 2006
This will probably sound bad, but it's not intended to be at all.... Newell and Knipfel are the two guys we could least afford to get injured on the OL IMO.

• Agree
Reactions: BigCyFan and STLISU

iowastatefan1929

Oct 26, 2006
75 got benched on the oline for letting that end get at purdy casuing the only td for uni
that was some flashbacks to rhoads era wow
i remember uni ravaging our offensive tackles in rhoads era

WastedTalent

Oct 22, 2012
I hear you, although we know otherwise. Seriously, it looks like the wildcards from Purdy that gave our offense a needed edge a year ago, has been coached out. We need him to improvise, as that creates more advantages than our staff can. See UNI’s freshman qb scrambling his way to keeping an outclassed UNI offense in the game.

Only first game this season, but so far you are correct.

It's one thing I have not liked about this staff since the beginning. Their lack of creativity in the off-season. Or at the very least, not using creativity in the beginning of the season.

They had a whole off-season to implement Lanning into an offensive role, but only used it when they were forced to. Also, came into a season thinking a bland Kempt was good enough to win multiple games.

I have no idea of Real's abilities, but if he has skills he needs to be out there in some capacity. Again, it is the first game, against an opponent they should never have to be creative against, so I will withhold judgment.

Cat Stevens

Mar 7, 2017
Part of me is really hoping this game was as unimaginative on offense as it was simply because the coaches didn't want to show anything.

Nah. They threw every single offensive play they had at uni. I’m kidding of course.

Manning didn’t have his best day. But that people on here are already doubting this staff after what they have done here, is really bad. And so typical of some of these folks.

If we are successful they will be all over how great the coaches are too. It’s really stupid. You should be able to say act like youve been there, but this group hasn’t.

Remember when they’d hype up teams that were picked 8th and then clonedude up when they showed that they were in fact bad.

Last year people were on Campbell after the hawk, Akron and tcu game. Then they would have given him their wives going into the Texas game. It’s just dumb.

jmb

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 12, 2006
You fear your shadow, paper cuts, and windmills. Chase the no serviceable qb in the stable thing.

GoClones123

Sep 5, 2010
Clive, IA
Don’t know if the Purdy lack of running was on purpose or not. Perhaps they are simply trying out 4 running backs to see who takes the position and told Purdy to hand it off so they could evaluate?

Purdy is a known asset, why run the crap out of him if you have 4 RB’s your on the fence about?

iowastatefan1929

Oct 26, 2006
a knew this would be a nail biter and almost posted to the forum beforehand warning yall but figured the sarcastic troll comments from kool aiders wasnt worth it

this team is fine but needs to recover from newell injury

• Agree
Reactions: CYCLNST8

clonedude

Apr 16, 2006
Now that I think of it, this game offensively for ISU reminded me a lot of the Iowa game last year. We come out on the first drive and we're hitting TE's, getting good yards running, even mixed in a WR sweep pitch to Jones for huge yards, but then it all stalled when Jones dropped the WR screen pass on 3rd and 2 or whatever it was.

And then the rest of the game..... nothing. We never saw that sweep pitch to Jones again after the 1st drive, even though it worked so well. It was when Jones came in motion, we hiked it to Purdy in shotgun, and he just touched passed it forward to Jones in motion. I guess it worked too well to ever use again.