Random Thoughts the 13th: Jason Takes RTT

Status
Not open for further replies.

CycloneErik

Jan 31, 2008
Jamerica
rememberingdoria.wordpress.com
Another example about me from MrsWx for @cmjh10 especially when we had the daycare in the house if I came home and there were dishes to be done I would just jump in and do them because there was work to be done. That didn't go over well because she "was going to get to them".

When we are cleaning or doing work around the house she will often comment that I am running around like a chicken with it's head cut off (not literally but I am going fast or something) when to me I have a job and an objective and I am just working. It just so happens to be at a faster pace or more focused than she is.

I have a restaurant co-worker like that. She's great, but it's in her head to be the one doing everything. I sneak in work when she's not looking or in the middle of something.

Reactions: wxman1

coolerifyoudid

Feb 8, 2013
KC
I offered to go to Hy-Vee for Mrs. Velo the other day because we were having shrimp and we didn't have any ground horseradish for cocktail sauce. She told me it was in a strange place at the store but she couldn't remember where. Daughter and I looked for a few minutes but gave up quickly and asked for directions. Girl we asked didn't know so she had to go get help as well. Turns out it is in the seafood section - I never realized horseradish grows in the sea. I always saw it growing in our yard when I was a kid.

Apparently most people use it exactly as we were going to use it.

(I rejiggered that last sentence to avoid using a preposition at the end of the sentence.)

We never would have found it if we hadn't asked for directions.

The Price Chopper near my house recently switched their store around. I'm getting used to finding the staples, but other things require some Scooby Doo detective work.

One weird example: My daughter likes Zebra cakes, so I would occasionally put one in her lunch over the summer. Instead of having all of the different brands together near the bread, they separated the different brands and threw them on random end-caps throughout the store. The Zebra cakes ended up near the salad bar. I ended up finding them about three trips later.

Side note, pretty much every single snack cake tastes disgusting to me now. I can't believe I ever liked them.

coolerifyoudid

Feb 8, 2013
KC
Another example about me from MrsWx for @cmjh10 especially when we had the daycare in the house if I came home and there were dishes to be done I would just jump in and do them because there was work to be done. That didn't go over well because she "was going to get to them".

When we are cleaning or doing work around the house she will often comment that I am running around like a chicken with it's head cut off (not literally but I am going fast or something) when to me I have a job and an objective and I am just working. It just so happens to be at a faster pace or more focused than she is.

I'm admittedly the cause of a lot of frustration with certain chores. When I'm cooking, I'm also cleaning dishes up while I go so I don't have to deal with it afterwards. As a result, I rarely sit idle while preparing a meal. If my wife wants to help, she'll inevitably end up getting in my way and getting mad because she wants to help.

If we are picking up the house, I will pick something up in one room and put it in the proper place, then notice something in that room and put it in the right place, and so on and so forth. I have issues returning to the original scene empty handed to finish a room.

I call it efficient. She calls it infuriating.

wxman1

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jul 2, 2008
Cedar Rapids
So they are working on redoing the outside of the wall I sit next to and I just ran out to my car to get something and notice that they have a "Dangerous Asbestos" sign up. Lovely...

• Friendly
Reactions: cyrevkah

NWICY

Sep 2, 2012
If you are talking Lake of the Isles I think your "teardown" would start at around $2M for the low end lot/house, than add the cost tearing down, designing and building. Lake of Isles has been pretty busy with these the last five years or so. More teardowns but now seeing some where they have worked with at least the existing house structure. At least folks with that much money aren't using a builder McMansion designer but hiring a real house architect. In a hood of big houses the new designs don't look that out of place to me. I get it, the place is where I'd love to live* if I was a 1 percenter and I get that the old houses ain't everyone's cup of tea with little rooms, little closets, old baths and kitchens.

* As it is at least I get to bike by and sometimes gawk. :rolleyes:

The new stuff does look pretty cool. I noticed the one house even has minimalist deck chairs on their deck/porch not sure how comfortable they would be, looked to be made out of metal strapping but they looked neat on the deck/porch. West side of the road if I remember right.

NWICY

Sep 2, 2012
So they are working on redoing the outside of the wall I sit next to and I just ran out to my car to get something and notice that they have a "Dangerous Asbestos" sign up. Lovely...

At least they're warning you, take a dust mask.

BoxsterCy

Staff member
Sep 14, 2009
Minnesota
The new stuff does look pretty cool. I noticed the one house even has minimalist deck chairs on their deck/porch not sure how comfortable they would be, looked to be made out of metal strapping but they looked neat on the deck/porch. West side of the road if I remember right.

I love the west side houses on Isles and their landscaping. Guessing they all have gardeners and such. Some beautiful presentations.

• Agree
Reactions: NWICY

BoxsterCy

Staff member
Sep 14, 2009
Minnesota
Woof, dew point is 72 degrees. Feels like the weather is getting ready to poop on us.

Checked radar, and, yup, poop it is! Lining it up for the central metro. We could use some rain (can't believe I am say THAT after this summer so far) but would prefer a shower and not another severe thunderstorm.

BoxsterCy

Staff member
Sep 14, 2009
Minnesota
Woof, dew point is 72 degrees. Feels like the weather is getting ready to poop on us.

Checked radar, and, yup, poop it is! Lining it up for the central metro. We could use some rain (can't believe I am say THAT after this summer so far) but would prefer a shower and not another severe thunderstorm.

Storm tracks are working again on the glitchy Wundermap. NWICY chose wisely on biking here Sunday and not today! Rolled through too fast to get any needed rain. Now it is perfectly still with not even a breeze again.

upload_2019-8-5_13-12-37.png

Last edited:

ImJustKCClone

Ancient Argumentative and Accidental Assassin Ape
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 18, 2013
traipsing thru the treetops
The Price Chopper near my house recently switched their store around. I'm getting used to finding the staples, but other things require some Scooby Doo detective work.

One weird example: My daughter likes Zebra cakes, so I would occasionally put one in her lunch over the summer. Instead of having all of the different brands together near the bread, they separated the different brands and threw them on random end-caps throughout the store. The Zebra cakes ended up near the salad bar. I ended up finding them about three trips later.

Side note, pretty much every single snack cake tastes disgusting to me now. I can't believe I ever liked them.
Never have liked Little Debbie stuff (except the pecan spinwheels) because the cake part is usually dry. Used to love Twinkies & HoHos & DingDongs, but when Hostess shut down and came back under new ownership, they changed their recipes. Now their cakes are as dry as Little Debbies' are. :(
Ah well, probably healthier for me if I don't eat them.

ImJustKCClone

Ancient Argumentative and Accidental Assassin Ape
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 18, 2013
traipsing thru the treetops
I'm admittedly the cause of a lot of frustration with certain chores. When I'm cooking, I'm also cleaning dishes up while I go so I don't have to deal with it afterwards. As a result, I rarely sit idle while preparing a meal. If my wife wants to help, she'll inevitably end up getting in my way and getting mad because she wants to help.

If we are picking up the house, I will pick something up in one room and put it in the proper place, then notice something in that room and put it in the right place, and so on and so forth. I have issues returning to the original scene empty handed to finish a room.

I call it efficient. She calls it infuriating.
Once again - I LIKE your wife.
When Lew & I do a thorough housecleaning now, we "assign" ourselves rooms. Our cleaning styles are so different we piss each other off if we're working in the same area!

• Agree
Reactions: oldman

SCyclone

Mar 11, 2014
Fort Dodge, IA

You realize that swearing off snack cakes eliminates the possibility of using the Dan White defense in the future. :rolleyes:

SCyclone

Mar 11, 2014
Fort Dodge, IA
On cleaning.....first, I'll admit I'm OCPD (much different than OCD, you can look it up), so I tend to be a neatnik. The vixen never uses the word "cleaning" without modifying it with the word "thorough". This intrigued me after we got married.

However, I find that her cleaning style, while excellent, is not exactly thorough. And I'm talking about stuff most people wouldn't even think about, like dusting the top of the base trim, the panels in the interior doors, cleaning dust off the top of the shower enclosure, etc.

And yes, I know I'm obsessive, hence the OCPD in the opening paragraph. My "thorough" is just a bit more "thorough" than hers. ;)

BoxsterCy

Staff member
Sep 14, 2009
Minnesota
Do you ride your bike through that neighborhood? Guessing it would be good for landscaping and house decorating ideas.

Good for ideas if you have an unlimited budget and hired help! But, yes, I ride there all of the time. With all of the trail closures Lake of the Isles is on most of my routes. Considering double laps I've probably biked the reach NWICY is talking about maybe 40-50 times this summer. Paths there are in the best condition of any of the lake paths and it's not busy during the week so you can bike at a decent clip without being an *******.

wxman1

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jul 2, 2008
Cedar Rapids
At least they're warning you, take a dust mask.

Technically they didn't even do that since we were never notified and the sign is only around the construction area and not obvious to those in the area unless you happen to look over there.

Status
Not open for further replies.