Les Miles is not okay

randomfan44

May 30, 2015
You are sounding more like Miles everday. Spoken like a true KU coach though. So the whole Pooka DA issue is kinda like what you wrote. Meh, who cares?
My comment was in reference to his overall "performance" at the media session, not about the Pooka Williams issue. There is a separate thread to discuss that.

jmb

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 12, 2006
I dont expect you to know the depths of the scholarship problems under Beaty and the previous staff so that's fine.

When Beaty started, KU was down to 39 scholarship players and he only marginally improved that in his 3 1/2 years. That's insane.

KU already has 21 commits for 2020, more than any other school in the Big 12. They aren't landing elite talent but they simply needed more D1 caliber bodies and they are doing that.

I obviously dont think they are going to win the Big 12 or anything crazy but they are improving as a program and will better as a team.
Hard to be a lot worse.

knowlesjam

Oct 21, 2012
Papillion, NE
We'll see. Just out of curiosity I looked and 247 does have them as the third ranked 2020 class in the Big 12 for whatever that's worth. I'll give him the benefit of the doubt because of his track record at his other stops, but there's no arguing that his media session yesterday was an abject disaster.
You have to look at the average rating, which gives a truer reading of the player quality when ranked against other players. KU average player rating this year is .8343, dead last in the Big 12. For comparison, last year's KU average player rating was .8384. So, other than numbers, which KU definitely needs, there has been no bump in the average quality of the KU recruiting class...just an increase in the number of warm bodies Miles will need to work his magic to get this thing going.

Sigmapolis

Minister of Economy
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 10, 2011
Waukee
You have to look at the average rating, which gives a truer reading of the player quality when ranked against other players. KU average player rating this year is .8343, dead last in the Big 12. For comparison, last year's KU average player rating was .8384. So, other than numbers, which KU definitely needs, there has been no bump in the average quality of the KU recruiting class...just an increase in the number of warm bodies Miles will need to work his magic to get this thing going.

He has a point that more mediocre warm bodies is better than fewer mediocre warm bodies, however. They were about to turn into a high school team out there.

BWRhasnoAC

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 10, 2013
Dez Moy Nez
I watched it. Very awkward but what is the guy supposed to say? 'We should probably kick him off the team but we suck really bad so I need him.'

randomfan44

May 30, 2015
He has a point that more mediocre warm bodies is better than fewer mediocre warm bodies, however. They were about to turn into a high school team out there.
Exactly. I dont care about the star rankings right now, I care about the body count. KU desperately needed an influx of recruiting bodies. I trust he can coach them up just fine, show some improvement and then start bringing in better quality recruits for 2021.

TXCyclones

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 13, 2011
TX
We'll see. Just out of curiosity I looked and 247 does have them as the third ranked 2020 class in the Big 12 for whatever that's worth. I'll give him the benefit of the doubt because of his track record at his other stops, but there's no arguing that his media session yesterday was an abject disaster.

The fact that KU is ranked third sure seems really... sketchy, at best. Everybody knows Mes Liles has several bag men, and KU has proven that they're not afraid to pay off kids. I just didn't expect that they'd be this brazen so quickly. The Mad Hatter is nuts.

cycloner29

Dec 17, 2008
Ames
Exactly. I dont care about the star rankings right now, I care about the body count. KU desperately needed an influx of recruiting bodies. I trust he can coach them up just fine, show some improvement and then start bringing in better quality recruits for 2021.

Here's one. How many more you looking for?

upload_2019-7-16_16-2-56.png

jbindm

Dec 2, 2010
Des Moines
The fact that KU is ranked third sure seems really... sketchy, at best. Everybody knows Mes Liles has several bag men, and KU has proven that they're not afraid to pay off kids. I just didn't expect that they'd be this brazen so quickly. The Mad Hatter is nuts.

As someone else mentioned above, a lot of their current rank has to do with class size. They just have more signees than most of the other programs right now. Most of the individuals in the class are three star talent, so it's not as if he's pulling in All Americans or anything. But there's something to be said for raising the talent level from depleted to just plain run of the mill bad or mediocre.

I think Miles will be able to increase the talent level there. I don't know about his in-game coaching chops or if his offenses can score enough to keep up or whether there's enough fan interest in the program even if he wins a few games. Long odds.

randomfan44

May 30, 2015
Good lord.

CyCloned

Oct 18, 2006
Robins, Iowa

When KU fails to win a Big 12 game again this year, most of those guys are going to bail, just like almost every decent recruit did to the last guy. I don't follow KU football recruiting, but I do remember them finishing dead last in recruiting in the Big 12 last year, so hard to believe they will be great this year. Also, I seems to me that they graduated a lot of starters last year.

RonBurgundy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Oct 5, 2017

Cycsk

Year-round tailgater
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 17, 2009
Wow. Just listened to the whole press conference.

Compare the first 3 minutes of his to Campbell's.

Here are some low-lights:
  • Talked about his top 2 QBs and says they can be "great ... or good."
  • Referred to "putting a field on the team."
  • "A degree is attainable" [apparently unlike at LSU].