Hunter Dekkers Commits

ForbinsAscynt

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 8, 2014
Just looking at 247 rankings you can see a huge jump in homegrown commits in 2020. Blaise would be that last in-state prospect to get.

Reactions: Brandon and GT25Ump

cyclone4L

Jun 30, 2013
To everyone saying "THIS IS A STUPID MOVE",

This is the way recruiting is going to shift. Teams are going to start taking two quarterbacks.

"BUT YOU CAN ONLY PLAY ONE QUARTERBACK! TWO QUARTERBACK SYSTEMS DON'T WORK!" Calm down... I agree with you. On the field, you need THE guy. You need the leader that unifies the offense. I agree 100%.

So why take two quarterbacks? It has to do with the new trend of transferring. Last season, we had TWO quarterbacks transfer. We had one leave the year before that. And before that, we we in a mad scramble to find anyone fairly decent. James Cappello = transfer. Jared Barnett = transfer. Grant Rohach = transfer. Trevor Hodge = transfer. Dom Delira = transfer.

Two QB classes is going to be more regular now, if not the norm.

Also, a note about Chubba Purdy. He liked Iowa State, but he didn't want to come here. He wanted to make a name for himself and not just be Brock's brother.

nwiafan

Dec 22, 2008
Hawarden
Hunter is a great athlete and very hardworking kid that will turn a lot of heads. If he was at a larger school, he would have had an even longer offer list. His family were lifelong TOE fans and have now officially switched allegiance.

Plus he has a chip on his shoulder from the TOE and a certain coach that blew him off!

Bipolarcy

Oct 27, 2008
Why did we offer if we have Aidan? If we were taking two in this class I would have thought Chubba would have received an offer.

(Legitimate question, not criticizing the staff)

There was a story about him anchoring his team's 4x100 relay team at the state track meet, then driving or flying to the Nashville elite 11 regional competition, where he won MVP honors. I think you have to offer an in-state kid with athleticism like that, no matter what position he plays.

Last edited:

Aclone

Dec 14, 2007
Des Moines, Ia.

This is the way recruiting is going to shift. Teams are going to start taking two quarterbacks.

"BUT YOU CAN ONLY PLAY ONE QUARTERBACK! TWO QUARTERBACK SYSTEMS DON'T WORK!" Calm down... I agree with you. On the field, you need THE guy. You need the leader that unifies the offense. I agree 100%.

So why take two quarterbacks? It has to do with the new trend of transferring. Last season, we had TWO quarterbacks transfer. We had one leave the year before that. And before that, we we in a mad scramble to find anyone fairly decent. James Cappello = transfer. Jared Barnett = transfer. Grant Rohach = transfer. Trevor Hodge = transfer. Dom Delira = transfer.

Also, a note about Chubba Purdy. He liked Iowa State, but he didn't want to come here. He wanted to make a name for himself and not just be Brock's brother.
Who is saying “This is a stupid move”? I haven’t seen a single one.

And you listed an assortment of quarterbacks transferring, some of whom never should have been offered in the first place. This is not Paul Rhoads’ quarterback room.

As far as Chubba “not wanting” to come here...link, please?

aauummm

April is International Guitar Month
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 29, 2007
I get around
I believe that Johnny Majors has said repeatedly that Matt Blair was the best athlete he ever coached.
Ahh, ok. Wasn't completely sure about Johnny saying that about George. Matt would also be a good candidate for that designation.

Last edited:
  • Creative
Reactions: Althetuna

Cydkar

Apr 12, 2006

Straw man post

CycloneFan97

Jun 19, 2017

And you listed an assortment of quarterbacks transferring, some of whom never should have been offered in the first place. This is not Paul Rhoads’ quarterback room.

Watch this, Chubba talks about how he wants to write his own story, and not live in his brother's shadow for another couple of years.

LarryISU

Feb 10, 2013
Omaha
Maybe it's just me, but Dekkers has the name and the look to be one of those nationally promoted top quarterbacks some day. "Hunter Dekker, Heisman candidate, coming up next on ABC as the highly ranked Iowa State Cyclones take on ......" Yeah that sounds about right. Great addition to Cyclone Nation!

Reactions: acoustimac

cyclone4L

Jun 30, 2013

Watch this, Chubba talks about how he wants to write his own story, and not live in his brother's shadow for another couple of years.

I haven't even seen this. I've heard this from a source.

For my "stupid move" comment, there is a dude who posted "not good." Basically means he thinks it's a stupid move.

Aclone

Dec 14, 2007
Des Moines, Ia.
Ahh, ok. Wasn't completely sure about Johnny saying that about George. Matt would be a good candidate for that designation.
Johnny might have said that about George when he played...then revised it when Matt came along. That was a couple of years later, right?

In much the same way, Matt Campbell once said that Enyi Uwazurike was the best athlete he’d ever signed, or somesuch. A couple of years later, that title transferred to Will McDonald.

Reactions: wgleason

aauummm

April is International Guitar Month
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 29, 2007
I get around
Johnny might have said that about George when he played...then revised it when Matt came along. That was a couple of years later, right?

In much the same way, Matt Campbell once said that Enyi Uwazurike was the best athlete he’d ever signed, or somesuch. A couple of years later, that title transferred to Will McDonald.
Quite possible because I've since ran across a couple of sources that had Majors saying that George was the finest athlete that he'd ever coached, anywhere. Anyway George was an amazing athlete no matter what and excelled in multiple sports and at multiple positions in football. No doubt that Matt Blair was also a tremendous athlete.

Brandon

Feb 6, 2014

My guess is the staff likely knew chubba didn't want to come here.

CTTB78

Apr 7, 2006
Ahh, ok. Wasn't completely sure about Johnny saying that about George. Matt would be a good candidate for that designation.

I'm going with Johnny saying George was the best offensive player he had at ISU, and Matt was the best defensive stud he ever coached.

Reactions: Aclone