***Official 2018-19 Transfer Thread***

• After Iowa State won the Big 12, a Cyclone made a wonderful offer to We Will that now increases our match. Now all gifts up to $400,000 between now and the Final 4 will be matched. Please consider giving at We Will Collective.
    This notice can be dismissed using the upper right corner X button.

Knownothing

Nov 22, 2006
If the feelings are hard enough, so be it, but they would have to be pretty hard to push the guy into making some really sub-optimal decisions regarding his professional future like that.

Does he really want to put TWO MORE YEARS on the clock until he can receive a paycheck for playing basketball? He was born in March 1998. If he waits to what would be his RS-junior season to go pro, he would be doing so at age 23 when he leaves.

If he wants a place where he is guaranteed a starting spot and to be the focus of the offense in a major conference, well, Iowa State is sitting there waiting for him at the moment.

That Is the problem. He thought he was guaranteed a starting spot last season and he lost it do to injury.

Sigmapolis

Minister of Economy
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 10, 2011
Waukee
That Is the problem. He thought he was guaranteed a starting spot last season and he lost it do to injury.

I think Prohm got himself behind the Eight Ball on that one.

Weiler-Babb was clearly the best PG on the team.
Haliburton was the most well-rounded player, and Shayok was the best scorer.
Horton-Tucker was probably promised a starting spot during his recruitment.
No way you are going to go 5/0 with Talen at the 5, are you?

Wigginton was the odd man out.

Even if he feels burned by the situation, unless Jackson or Leech comes in and is an absolute monster as a scorer next year, then no way Wigginton does not start.

Doc

This is it Morty
Aug 6, 2006
Denver

Even if he feels burned by the situation, unless Jackson or Leech comes in and is an absolute monster as a scorer next year, then no way Wigginton does not start.

IMO, it was Haliburton v. Lindell for that starting spot and Prohm went with the player who was better for his team.

Cyclonepride

Thought Police
Staff member
Apr 11, 2006
A pineapple under the sea
www.oldschoolradical.com

I think he handled it as well as he could. Two of his most talented players were playing with an eye toward their professional career. In the end, he just alternated them.

• Agree
Reactions: ATCy

heitclone

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 21, 2009
Way up there

I love Lindell and would welcome him back with open arms but the guys you listed are also much better defenders than him.

Kurttr

Mar 19, 2006
Ok, now do the hypothetical situation where THT comes back because... or, how about Tucker wanted to come here but didn't like the lighting in Hilton...gotta love the abyss. The good thing is, this will all be known soon, so no vacuums/abysses to fill with completely random speculation.

Sigmapolis

Minister of Economy
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 10, 2011
Waukee
IMO, it was Haliburton v. Lindell for that starting spot and Prohm went with the player who was better for his team.

I think he handled it as well as he could. Two of his most talented players were playing with an eye toward their professional career. In the end, he just alternated them.

I love Lindell and would welcome him back with open arms but the guys you listed are also much better defenders than him.

Agreed on all of this.

A line-up with Shayok, Horton-Tucker, and Wigginton out there =

not a lot of defense
whollllllllllleeeeeeeeeeee lotta chuckin'

Haliburton was better than him and deserved the starting spot.

Wigginton should say "I need to get better -- to have a well-rounded game where I can score AND distribute AND play defense, like Haliburton can."

Not pine for his spot back.

Reactions: Doc

Statefan10

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 20, 2019
I would have liked to see Halliburton's energy off the bench ... he would have been a great 6th man.
Lindell won 6 man of the year though.. And if there was someone who should not have been starting it probably should have been THT. He was unplayable at times.

Sigmapolis

Minister of Economy
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 10, 2011
Waukee
Lindell won 6 man of the year though.. And if there was someone who should not have been starting it probably should have been THT. He was unplayable at times.

In a perfect world, I think Wigginton earned it over Horton-Tucker.

Reality is complicated, though, because --

-- I think Prohm might have promised THT/Simeon a starting spot for him
-- Horton-Tucker could be a monster or awful... sometimes it makes sense to see if you have the hot or not version going that night as early as possible
-- if he is on, leave him out there, if not, then put in Wigginton for him
-- Wigginton still played more minutes in the Big 12 than Talen did

Taking Haliburton off the court just would have been a bad idea overall, though.

scottwv

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 18, 2011
Melrose Iowa

He was 6th man of the year....but I think starting mattered a lot to Lindell and he may have been better and more focused. Not sure Halliburton cared as much about starting and it would have been a different energy when he came in.

FYI - not saying Prohm decision was wrong he obviously knows the team and game better than me...just something I thought would be interesting to see last season.

Statefan10

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 20, 2019

-- Horton-Tucker could be a monster or awful... sometimes it makes sense to see if you have the hot or not version going that night as early as possible

Taking Haliburton off the court just would have been a bad idea overall, though.
I agree.. The situation was more complex than just flipping the two guys.

• Agree
Reactions: Doc and srjclone

WIB

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Oct 2, 2010
Ames
I mean does anyone have insider info on this. I thought the odds of LW coming back were less than 1%. Has anything changed that I've missed?

Cyclonepride

Thought Police
Staff member
Apr 11, 2006
A pineapple under the sea
www.oldschoolradical.com
I mean does anyone have insider info on this. I thought the odds of LW coming back were less than 1%. Has anything changed that I've missed?

It's all pure speculation, based on Lindell not getting invited to the big combine, and not performing particularly well in the G league combine (and the fact that the combination almost 100% means that he won't be getting drafted).

TheHelgo

Mar 20, 2006
Where did all this speculation about Prohm 'promising a starting spot to THT' come from? I honestly can't see Prohm making anyone a promise like that - its a recipe for problems. I can see him saying 'we envision such and such', but an outright promise - no way.

Regarding LW, I am in the camp that cannot see him coming back no matter what. At this point, he would probably view himself as better off in the G-League or in Europe somewhere. Thankfully all of this (and the Bolton question) should be wrapped up in a week.

• Agree
Reactions: Cyclonepride

Knownothing

Nov 22, 2006

The great thing about Chicago kids. They usually are ballers. The bad thing, you have to cater to soooo many AAU, High School, Handlers, and all that nonsense in order to get players and future players. So you have to start THT if that is what was promised in order to get future players. THT deserved the start but man when he was off it was scary bad. When he was on (Illinois) he was Charles Barkley good.

jbindm

Dec 2, 2010
Des Moines
Where did all this speculation about Prohm 'promising a starting spot to THT' come from? I honestly can't see Prohm making anyone a promise like that - its a recipe for problems. I can see him saying 'we envision such and such', but an outright promise - no way.

I doubt an outright promise was made, but I suspect that when you recruit an area like that the implications are pretty clear that if you want to keep that talent pipeline open then those guys had better be in the starting lineup.

Sigmapolis

Minister of Economy
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 10, 2011
Waukee
The great thing about Chicago kids. They usually are ballers. The bad thing, you have to cater to soooo many AAU, High School, Handlers, and all that nonsense in order to get players and future players. So you have to start THT if that is what was promised in order to get future players. THT deserved the start but man when he was off it was scary bad. When he was on (Illinois) he was Charles Barkley good.

I doubt an outright promise was made, but I suspect that when you recruit an area like that the implications are pretty clear that if you want to keep that talent pipeline open then those guys had better be in the starting lineup.

Right -- so let him start and then yank him if he is having a bad THT night.

I remember Wigginton being in at the end of games far more often.

Conference minutes
---
644 = Weiler-Babb
583 = Haliburton
578 = Shayok
477 = Wigginton
461 = Horton-Tucker
422 = Jacobson
201 = Lard

Last four games...

THT = 35, 25, 22, 15 (average of 24.25)
Wigginton = 22, 29, 29, 29 (average of 27.25)

Horton-Tucker played more in the Baylor game (when he had 21 and was 8/15 from the floor, including 3/6 from three) but after that... more Wigginton.

You should care more about how much you play and if you finish games more than if you start them, or at least that is how I would approach them.

CyPunch

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 3, 2019
Sandy Springs, GA

It seems like Lindell has more of that going on than Talen tbh...

Messi

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 25, 2011
Cedar Rapids

6-4 184 lb guard

Played 1.5 years at Indiana and .5 at Ok State

This year for osu
8.1 ppg 3.0 rpg 1.0 apg in 22 mpg. 36% from 3