So, I've lived in Des Moines for a Week...

jcyclonee

Apr 12, 2006
Minneapolis
More likely the Vikings have some dudes walk the perimeter early in the morning and pick up the birds. A pile of dead warblers on the sidewalk is bad PR considering the public discussion/debate over it.
I've never worked with the Vikings but in a previous job, I did some business with the Wild. I'm pretty sure nothing was accomplished early in the morning because everybody in the office was hungover.

BCClone

Well Seen Member.
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 4, 2011
Not exactly sure.
I've never worked with the Vikings but in a previous job, I did some business with the Wild. I'm pretty sure nothing was accomplished early in the morning because everybody in the office was hungover.

Vikings were always on a boat cruise of some sort. Kinda fitting now that I think of the Vikings getting into trouble on a boat.

• Funny
Reactions: SCyclone

BoxsterCy

Staff member
Sep 14, 2009
Minnesota
It was a joke. The electrician bill to wire that thing would make such an undertaking prohibitive.

Ha, yeah, kinda over the top obvious so I knew that. However, I would actually be surprised if they are not policing the grounds with a cleanup each morning.ing. Not kidding at all.

• Agree
Reactions: jcyclonee

JHUNSY

Aug 31, 2013
Des Moines, IA
Urban experience, in that I've been told that Des Moines has made downtown living much more palatable lately, with entertainment and grocery options. I've lived in suburbs my whole life. While I'd love to move to Chicago in a couple of years, because I adore that city... I just don't have a lot of hope for the future of Illinois. If I can get an urban experience near ISU/Ames, I'm all for it.
Wife and I have lived in East Village for a year and a half now and we've loved it.

Sounds like it'd be a good fit for the lifestyle you're looking for. Ease of parking and traffic access (some congestion at peak hours or around events, especially while the downtown bridges are under construction), affordable prices for a great supply, and nightlife. We can realistically walk anywhere in downtown, the gym, to the sculpture park or library, the bars and restaurants, or the arena.

We avoided Court Ave because bar life wasn't something we wanted to live by/come home to everyday. We've heard people often move out of that area as soon as they can between of the constant noise and cleaning puke up off of their patios every Saturday morning. (Granted you get more noise downtown regardless but we're five floors up so it's never bothered us).

I talked her into it because I also wanted to avoid the trap of living in suburbia all our lives. We were also not really eager to own yet.

If you do prefer ownership though, there's a decent supply of condos and townhomes (some of these are priced rather aggressively though for the DSM area). It's all about location.

VeloClone

Jan 19, 2010
Brooklyn Park, MN
Ha, yeah, kinda over the top obvious so I knew that. However, I would actually be surprised if they are not policing the grounds with a cleanup each morning.ing. Not kidding at all.
Yeah, it was such a hot topic that we added some bird glass (probably the first actually used in the Twin Cities) on our project because we knew we would be under scrutiny. The size of area we were talking about it probably will save only about 100 birds or less for the life of the glass at a huge premium cost. But we made some people happy.

jcyclonee

Apr 12, 2006
Minneapolis
Vikings were always on a boat cruise of some sort. Kinda fitting now that I think of the Vikings getting into trouble on a boat.
Vikings have been getting into trouble on boats for centuries. This seems to represent most of their existence:

hagar.jpg

Still. Skol!

jcyclonee

Apr 12, 2006
Minneapolis
Yeah, it was such a hot topic that we added some bird glass (probably the first actually used in the Twin Cities) on our project because we knew we would be under scrutiny. The size of area we were talking about it probably will save only about 100 birds or less for the life of the glass at a huge premium cost. But we made some people happy.
How much was the electrician's bill?

oldman

Nov 5, 2009
Urban experience, in that I've been told that Des Moines has made downtown living much more palatable lately, with entertainment and grocery options. I've lived in suburbs my whole life. While I'd love to move to Chicago in a couple of years, because I adore that city... I just don't have a lot of hope for the future of Illinois. If I can get an urban experience near ISU/Ames, I'm all for it.
There are tons of lofts downtown. My daughter and her husband lived for a couple years in Rocket Transfer apts (7th & MLK). very nice and decent price point. HyVee grocery is a couple blocks to the east, farmers market every Saturday, bars and entertainment , Iowa Cubs, and DM Civic Center all within walking distance.

Reactions: harimad

jcyclonee

Apr 12, 2006
Minneapolis
Wife and I have lived in East Village for a year and a half now and we've loved it.

Sounds like it'd be a good fit for the lifestyle you're looking for. Ease of parking and traffic access (some congestion at peak hours or around events, especially while the downtown bridges are under construction), affordable prices for a great supply, and nightlife. We can realistically walk anywhere in downtown, the gym, to the sculpture park or library, the bars and restaurants, or the arena.

We avoided Court Ave because bar life wasn't something we wanted to live by/come home to everyday. We've heard people often move out of that area as soon as they can between of the constant noise and cleaning puke up off of their patios every Saturday morning. (Granted you get more noise downtown regardless but we're five floors up so it's never bothered us).

I talked her into it because I also wanted to avoid the trap of living in suburbia all our lives. We were also not really eager to own yet.

If you do prefer ownership though, there's a decent supply of condos and townhomes (some of these are priced rather aggressively though for the DSM area). It's all about location.
East Village has proximity to the always controversial Zombie Burger.

CysRage

Oct 18, 2009
Ft. Dodge Chef's Kitchen closed? On the bright side there's a Wendy's across from the Purina plant.
Chef's kitchen has been closed for at least 7 years. The building sat vacant and rotted until a couple years ago they restored it. As far as I know, it's still vacant but I think the building is in much better shape.

The FD Wendy's was amazing (seriously noticeably better than Wendy's elsewhere) until they changed owners (old owners I believe also owned Taco Tico) and built a new location (new location was built over the old location's parking lot). Now it's no better than any other Wendy's.

• Agree
Reactions: SCyclone

JMA1125

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 7, 2014
West Des Moines is the best for everything. Location, price point for money, restaurants, bars, trails, people. We just moved from Valley Junction to the Easter Lake area. We got more for our money, but REALLY miss the people.
WDM is great except that the high school is way too big. There are almost 700 kids in each grade.

Reactions: cyclonpediaJoe

cyclonpediaJoe

Jun 27, 2012
Norwalk
WDM is great except that the high school is way too big. There are almost 700 kids in each grade.
Totally agree. It's easy to get lost in the mix there. We just had a kid and are in DSM Independent. Hoping to open enroll into Carlisle when he is old enough. No chance we are sending him to East.

JP4CY

I'm Mike Jones
Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 19, 2008
Testifying
Valley West Mall would have been perfect for either another high school or for DMU (possible move).

Doc

This is it Morty
Aug 6, 2006
Denver
I don’t think I would mind living in downtown Des Moines. The only problem would be the humidity.