So, I've lived in Des Moines for a Week...

AuH2O

Sep 7, 2013
That's always been a tough area too, and it's nice that Cool Basil is doing well.
Used to live a few blocks from there, and there were a few attempts at making a nice restaurant take off but it never happened. Glad to see that is working out - I've heard good things

Wife and I used to just go to Flying Mango when it was a night out. Need to hit it up again soon. Catfish and Smoked Andouille are manna from heaven.

dosry5

Nov 28, 2006
Johnston
My wife and I have our 5 year anniversary coming up next weekend. Any recommendations for dinner in the Des Moines metro? Our family is on a tighter budget so I don't want to go anywhere too expensive but don't want a chain restaurant either. Any recommendations?

If you come to my house I’ll throw some burgers on the grill. But you have to agree to pick up dog poop in the yard. No such thing as a free lunch.

• Funny
Reactions: NWICY and oldman

jcyclonee

Apr 12, 2006
Minneapolis
If it's downtown it's migrating birds flying into the tall buildings at night. When I worked downtown St. Paul the sidewalks were littered with little dead warblers and other small birds in April and May. :(
Weird. I don't see dead birds in Minneapolis. Not even near the stadium that's supposed to be a death trap for birds.

harimad

Jul 28, 2016
Illinois
Regardless... the time is soon coming to finally GTFO of Illinois.

If I want the urban Des Moines experience, what areas/neighborhoods should I be looking at?

JHUNSY

Aug 31, 2013
Des Moines, IA
The time is soon coming to finally GTFO of Illinois.

If I want the urban Des Moines experience, what areas/neighborhoods should I be looking at?
Define urban experience (It's DSM so keep that in mind).

Looking to rent or buy? Other points of interest to note?

harimad

Jul 28, 2016
Illinois
Fall makes up for winter. The only times I really hate the weather are extended rains, extended subzero cold, and snow after mid March. Fall is amazing though.
This could not be truer. Fall is by far my favorite time of year, and I think it's because of growing up in Iowa that I feel this way.

Reactions: Cy4Lifer

Cyclone06

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 11, 2006
Urbandale
Update below for accuracy. Also Simons is a very solid and welcoming spot. Small so it gets crowed but they know how to make you happy.
My suggestion is to try out the best hidden gem places to eat on a night you go to the Funny Bone after. Makes for a good night out, Id recommend the following before hand.
Sakari (they have a lot more than amazing sushi)
Simons (Beaverdale area)
Chef's Kitchen (Beaverdale Area) - CLOSED

• Agree
Reactions: chadly82

BoxsterCy

Staff member
Sep 14, 2009
Minnesota
Yeah, they fixed that by electrifying the whole thing so now it acts as a giant bug zapper - vaporizing anything that flies into it.

More likely the Vikings have some dudes walk the perimeter early in the morning and pick up the birds. A pile of dead warblers on the sidewalk is bad PR considering the public discussion/debate over it.

VeloClone

Jan 19, 2010
Brooklyn Park, MN
More likely the Vikings have some dudes walk the perimeter early in the morning and pick up the birds. A pile of dead warblers on the sidewalk is bad PR considering the public discussion/debate over it.
It was a joke. The electrician bill to wire that thing would make such an undertaking prohibitive.

• Agree
Reactions: jcyclonee

jbindm

Dec 2, 2010
Des Moines

Depends on what you want - rent, buy, condo, house, upkeep/maintenance, places,activities you want immediate access to, school districts if you have kids, etc.

jbindm

Dec 2, 2010
Des Moines

I hear that's one of the requirements written into Kirk Cousins' contract. So if you want a picture or an autograph just head on over to the stadium around 4:30 every morning and look for the guy with an orange vest, a headlamp, and a garbage bag full of dead birds wandering around the building exterior.

cyclonpediaJoe

Jun 27, 2012
Norwalk

West Des Moines is the best for everything. Location, price point for money, restaurants, bars, trails, people. We just moved from Valley Junction to the Easter Lake area. We got more for our money, but REALLY miss the people.

harimad

Jul 28, 2016
Illinois
Define urban experience (It's DSM so keep that in mind).

Looking to rent or buy? Other points of interest to note?
Urban experience, in that I've been told that Des Moines has made downtown living much more palatable lately, with entertainment and grocery options. I've lived in suburbs my whole life. While I'd love to move to Chicago in a couple of years, because I adore that city... I just don't have a lot of hope for the future of Illinois. If I can get an urban experience near ISU/Ames, I'm all for it.

• Winner
Reactions: aauummm

jcyclonee

Apr 12, 2006
Minneapolis

My sister wants to do the same thing. She already bought a house in Des Moines to move into when her business is sold.

Reactions: aauummm

BCClone

Well Seen Member.
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 4, 2011
Not exactly sure.
Urban experience, in that I've been told that Des Moines has made downtown living much more palatable lately, with entertainment and grocery options. I've lived in suburbs my whole life. While I'd love to move to Chicago in a couple of years, because I adore that city... I just don't have a lot of hope for the future of Illinois. If I can get an urban experience near ISU/Ames, I'm all for it.

Sheldahl would be good for you.

• Funny
Reactions: VeloClone

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron