So, I've lived in Des Moines for a Week...

Gonzo

Mar 10, 2009
Behind you
I love my greasy burgers. Plus it's just a unique place.

The steamed buns at Zombie are nice. Not enough attention is given to the bun at most burger joints. The bread matters. They do it well. It's a little like Templeton Rye. The rep outshines the reality. But still a good burger.

IaState2021

Apr 19, 2019
Things I have learned:

The weather is glorious! I hope it stays this way year round.

The people are super nice.

Every time I see a Cyclone shirt or hat, I smile.

It was easy-peasy to sign up for Nex Gen internet and Direct TV for a decent price. Next day service. Works great!

Plenty of cool restaurants and bars.

The only thing that freaks me out is that I have seen 3 dead birds on the sidewalks. What's up with that?

Viva Des Moines!
The weather is great in the spring and fall. Summer is nice too, but it can get really hot. You are probably going to hate winter, It got down to -22 at one point.

• Agree
Reactions: AlaCyclone

BWRhasnoAC

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 10, 2013
Dez Moy Nez
The steamed buns at Zombie are nice. Not enough attention is given to the bun at most burger joints. The bread matters. They do it well. It's a little like Templeton Rye. The rep outshines the reality. But still a good burger.
I'm a foody and when you mix gourmet with greasy, its game over for me. Unfortunately I'm doing the keto thing and can't have the bread anymore :(

Knownothing

Nov 22, 2006
Things I have learned:

It was easy-peasy to sign up for Nex Gen internet and Direct TV for a decent price. Next day service. Works great!

The only thing that freaks me out is that I have seen 3 dead birds on the sidewalks. What's up with that?

Viva Des Moines!

The dead birds are called Hawkeyes.

NoCreativity

Nov 12, 2015
Des Moines
Lucky for you the Big 4 classic just ended. This board is in full meltdown mode every December about the thought of Iowa State playing in such a horrible city and venue as Des Moines.

• Funny

JP4CY

I'm Mike Jones
Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 19, 2008
Testifying
I would assume its because Formaro is big into baking. The South Union breads are really, really good.

• Agree
Reactions: capitalcityguy

oldman

Nov 5, 2009
Burgers are good, french fries suck.

• Agree
Reactions: BigCyFan and 2020cy

chadly82

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 10, 2009
Things I have learned:

Viva Des Moines!
My suggestion is to try out the best hidden gem places to eat on a night you go to the Funny Bone after. Makes for a good night out, Id recommend the following before hand.
Sakari (they have a lot more than amazing sushi)
Simons (Beaverdale area)
Chef's Kitchen (Beaverdale Area)