Do you tip for a takeout order?

Do you tip when you pick up a takeout order?

• Yes

Votes: 57 17.6%
  • No

Votes: 183 56.5%
  • Depends on the restaurant

Votes: 84 25.9%

• Total voters

ruxCYtable

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 29, 2007
Colorado
In high school and college I worked in restaurants for many years and never received a tip for a takeout order. Now it seems like they expect it.

I usually tip but at a lower rate than for table service. Like 10%.

• Winner
Reactions: tzjung and Gossamer

Gossamer

Apr 10, 2014
here's the deal...when you call in, they know your name...it's being tracked in their system. if you don't tip, they know it...and most likely, you'll end up paying for it...either in missed food or something worse.

Fact: someone it helping you get your food. Don't be an ******* and not tip people who work in the food service industry. What's a couple bucks...seriously.

Urbandale2013

Jan 28, 2018
Urbandale
here's the deal...when you call in, they know your name...it's being tracked in their system. if you don't tip, they know it...and most likely, you'll end up paying for it...either in missed food or something worse.

Fact: someone it helping you get your food. Don't be an ******* and not tip people who work in the food service industry. What's a couple bucks...seriously.
See this mentality is ****. If people do stuff to people’s food they should be in jail. There should be no expectation of a tip for takeout. Servers/bartenders seem to be some of the most entitled people. They complain about not making enough in tips yet say if we move away from tipping they will make less. We should move away from tipping and pay people what they are worth. If they don’t think that is enough then they should find another job.

wxman1

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jul 2, 2008
Cedar Rapids
See this mentality is ****. If people do stuff to people’s food they should be in jail. There should be no expectation of a tip for takeout. Servers/bartenders seem to be some of the most entitled people. They complain about not making enough in tips yet say if we move away from tipping they will make less. We should move away from tipping and pay people what they are worth. If they don’t think that is enough then they should find another job.

This! It is not my responsibility to make sure you make whatever amount you want to make. If I don't like what I am making and think I am worth more I have a conversation with my boss and/or find a new job making that amount. I don't go to my customer and say "Hey I think I am worth $10k more so I think you should pay us more".

If you don't like the work or what it pays find something new. Period.

cyclonedave25

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jul 10, 2007
Chicago, IL

So you’re saying some places will do illegal things if you don’t tip on takeout places? That’s dumb.

If you truly believe your post, I assume you basically tip everybody? Car mechanics, grocery store employees, dentist, doctor, plumber, McDonalds Drive Thru, etc. All provide a service to you, do you tip them too?

Gossamer

Apr 10, 2014
lol...you all are looking at it from a wage standpoint...where did I mention they weren't happy with what they were making. If you are in a situation where a tip can be applied, I believe you should...IF you receive good service. I also spent a lot of time in that industry in college...in Ames...where I was treated fairly by most people. Again, a couple bucks to you may be something different to someone else. Might just mean appreciation. Do what you will...cheap bastards.

Gossamer

Apr 10, 2014
So you’re saying some places will do illegal things if you don’t tip on takeout places? That’s dumb.

If you truly believe your post, I assume you basically tip everybody? Car mechanics, grocery store employees, dentist, doctor, plumber, McDonalds Drive Thru, etc. All provide a service to you, do you tip them too?

my comment is dumb or the act is dumb? I agree with you in one case. :)

If you are smart, and I want to believe you are, then you know your second point is ridiculous. I didn't imply that in any sense. That said, I have given people tips for service beyond what I was expecting, when I could. I'm ok with appreciating people both doing their job and doing it better than others. Sometimes it comes in the form of a thank you, sometimes I refer other people to them and sometimes, I may give them extra money! GASP!

Keep all that money in your pocket...don't let it out...never use it to make someone happier or better or to show appreciation...just hoard it.

In any case, I'll keep on doing what I feel works pretty well for me. So far, I have found it's never hurt someone to tip when I can and when they have deserved it.

• Agree
Reactions: chiroclone88

cyclonedave25

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jul 10, 2007
Chicago, IL
my comment is dumb or the act is dumb? I agree with you in one case. :)

If you are smart, and I want to believe you are, then you know your second point is ridiculous. I didn't imply that in any sense. That said, I have given people tips for service beyond what I was expecting, when I could. I'm ok with appreciating people both doing their job and doing it better than others. Sometimes it comes in the form of a thank you, sometimes I refer other people to them and sometimes, I may give them extra money! GASP!

Keep all that money in your pocket...don't let it out...never use it to make someone happier or better or to show appreciation...just hoard it.

In any case, I'll keep on doing what I feel works pretty well for me. So far, I have found it's never hurt someone to tip when I can and when they have deserved it.
The whole point of tipping for something they are already getting paid to do is dumb.
I am far from a tight wad, I tip a full 20% on all meals when I sit down and all bar tabs.
But, the fact that some people in our society expect to get tipped because they did their job “good” is dumb. You should always expect to do your job good, regardless if you get a tip or not.
Just like you should always say Thank you, whether you think they did a good job or not.

isufbcurt

Apr 21, 2006
Newton
A lot places split it up.

I have heard that but none of the restaurants I do work for do that, so I have not seen it first hand. The restaurants I am familiar with the cooks get paid above minimum wage and get no tips, the wait staff is paid less than minimum wage and receive tips.

• Informative
Reactions: NWICY

VeloClone

Jan 19, 2010
Brooklyn Park, MN
lol...you all are looking at it from a wage standpoint...where did I mention they weren't happy with what they were making. If you are in a situation where a tip can be applied, I believe you should...IF you receive good service. I also spent a lot of time in that industry in college...in Ames...where I was treated fairly by most people. Again, a couple bucks to you may be something different to someone else. Might just mean appreciation. Do what you will...cheap bastards.
I worked several jobs through college with a main one in a restaurant. While we expected tips for waiting tables and delivery we never expected (and almost universally didn't get) tips for carry out.

As far as delivery goes, I generally had a better chance of getting a tip from poor college students than I did from some of the more wealthy in town. I once drove through flooded (literally) streets in what amounted to a monsoon with heavy winds and unbelievable lightning so I could stand on the steps of a McMansion as the owner raved about how bad the weather was while she waited for me to dig 7 cents out of my wallet for her change.

Last edited:

VeloClone

Jan 19, 2010
Brooklyn Park, MN
I pay $16 at a barber shop for a haircut. I always give them a $20. I figure a 25% tip is more than enough. I usually tip right about 20% (including tax) for decent service on a sit down meal rounded up or down to the nearest buck. If the service is lacking I might go down a bit. For a buffet where all they are doing is taking away a few dirty plates I usually leave a couple bucks for a table of 4. I'll tip an airport shuttle driver a couple bucks. Maybe a few more bucks for a cab ride since I'm the only fare on board.

• Agree
Reactions: Gossamer

Blandboy

Mar 31, 2006
Bettendorf
Yes, because they’re generally the same people that are waiting tables and are making a servers wage. It still takes time to give me my order.

except they’re not waiting tables or providing service; they’re getting paid to simply take your order and hand you the food.

baller21

Mar 15, 2009

People who **** with your food are disgusting individuals. There should be cameras on food service workers at all times. I never send food back to the kitchen either for fear of them doing something to it. If I get bad food I just won’t go back.

• Agree
Reactions: Gossamer

keepngoal

OKA: keepingoal
Staff member
Bookie
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 20, 2006
Always. They get paid crap. 20%, every time.

Reactions: AgronAlum

Sigmapolis

Minister of Economy
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 10, 2011
Waukee
I give 20% minimum on anything you might remotely tip on unless somebody basically walks out, looks me dead in the eye, and spits in my food "Seabass-style."

Service work is hard. Reward them. The universe will pay you back somehow.

AgronAlum

Jul 12, 2014
except they’re not waiting tables or providing service; they’re getting paid to simply take your order and hand you the food.

Yet still raking in a whopping 4 dollars an hour or whatever it is.

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron