Impossible Burger

swiacy

Apr 9, 2009
The meat vs. plant based diet debate always takes a goofy turn when individuals start throwing out the suffering animal/cafo/big ag angle. Protein is pretty much the same in plant or animal until additional animo acids and other elements found in meat protein that are not available in plants are brought up by scientists. Studies have shown that brain development is diminished in children on a strict plant based diet due to the non availability of these elements. And for the suffering animal argument, the reason the economics of confinement work so well is because the animal is not suffering and is able to maximize it's genetic potential to the fullest.

WhatchaGonnaDo

Jun 28, 2011
Yep. And every vegetarian I met was 100% organic. So hence the question. Glad you get offended first before explaining any.
Since every vegetarian you've ever met was non-GMO and only ate organic, I guess that applies to everyone everywhere then.

We've been genetically modifying plants since the beginning of time to increase yields. The GMO and organic labels are nothing more than a marketing ploy that create an unnecessary stigma.

Congrats, you've met a vegetarian who doesn't believe in non-GMO or organic products.

Reactions: besserheimerphat

WhatchaGonnaDo

Jun 28, 2011
I get the feeling once you finish your transition you'll fit right in with the vegetarian crowd.
Just trying to help people realize that stereotypes don't always apply

I'm sure you don't appreciate when you are wrongly placed into a "box"

• Friendly
Reactions: aobie

Peter

Feb 21, 2010
Madison, Wisconsin
The meat vs. plant based diet debate always takes a goofy turn when individuals start throwing out the suffering animal/cafo/big ag angle. Protein is pretty much the same in plant or animal until additional animo acids and other elements found in meat protein that are not available in plants are brought up by scientists. Studies have shown that brain development is diminished in children on a strict plant based diet due to the non availability of these elements. And for the suffering animal argument, the reason the economics of confinement work so well is because the animal is not suffering and is able to maximize it's genetic potential to the fullest.

I've been to a hog confinement. Don't tell me those animals aren't suffering.

CYphyllis

Jun 22, 2010
Just trying to help people realize that stereotypes don't always apply

I'm sure you don't appreciate when you are wrongly placed into a "box"

When I was younger maybe a little, but honestly at this point in my life I couldn't give a **** less. Chalk it up to undeserved confidence through basic experience.

BCClone

Well Seen Member.
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 4, 2011
Not exactly sure.
Yes and no. If the impossible burger takes off, it's probably a net neutral proposition because of how much of the burger is made of soy based products. If that's the primary source of it, well I think everybody is probably in a similar situation.

The impossible burger and the cell based proteins are matching the protein levels of animal based meats.

I've worked on farms. I built grain bins for a while. While the suffering of animals in the case of pigs and cows I think is overstated, the suffering of poultry is understated. Those birds have the crappiest life possible, maximized genetic potential or not.

Yep, I’ve read reports that one of the largest factors in climate change here in the Midwest is grain/soy production. The high populations used are creating higher moisture events and higher temps. Increasing land for corn/soy/wheat will have a negative outcome if climate change is your biggest concern.

FOREVERTRUE

Sep 18, 2017
Memphis Meats is another company doing it as well. In our lifetimes I think we'll be done eating animals. Honestly I think it's something our grandchildren will look back on and be absolutely embarrassed by and consider completely barbaric.

My children and I will continue to hunt for years and years. I like the taste of venison and the peacefulness and anticipation of hunting. I also like to fish and I just think your timeline may be a little skewed. Don't get me wrong, but there is no way it will happen in our lifetimes.

WhatchaGonnaDo

Jun 28, 2011
When I was younger maybe a little, but honestly at this point in my life I couldn't give a **** less. Chalk it up to undeserved confidence through basic experience.
Cool

I don't have much tolerance for ignorance at the level of "all vegetarians are non-GMO and only eat organics"

JM4CY

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 23, 2012
America
giphy.gif

alarson

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 15, 2006
Ankeny
I do think that many decades from now, raising animals for meat will be mostly replaced by both vegan options (Beyond/Impossible) and lab meat that bypass any questions of animal welfare and resource usage.

I could see this happening for ground beef and a lot of the beef that goes into processed foods.

But for higher quality cuts i think the 'real' thing will always have its place.

alarson

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 15, 2006
Ankeny
I think it's really interesting that the current food movement is from less processed and manufactured foods to more natural, wholesome foods. But in meat it seems to be going the other way from natural, wholesome beef to a processed, manufactured substance.

As a farmer I am a little biased.

One could argue there's plenty that's not necessarily 'natural' about our beef production. The average weight of cattle didnt exactly get hundreds of pounds larger on its own. Which has had its own downsides.

FOREVERTRUE

Sep 18, 2017
What you're talking about is vastly different than factory farming.

I agree, however you said we'll be done eating animals and that is not the case.

I could see this happening for ground beef and a lot of the beef that goes into processed foods.

But for higher quality cuts i think the 'real' thing will always have its place.

I could very much see this happening.

AdRock4Cy

Jul 21, 2010
Ankeny
riiiight.

Cycsk

Year-round tailgater
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 17, 2009
I've worked on farms. I built grain bins for a while. While the suffering of animals in the case of pigs and cows I think is overstated, the suffering of poultry is understated. Those birds have the crappiest life possible, maximized genetic potential or not.

How much of the "suffering" is a matter of perception on our part as it looks bad to us?

DeereClone

Nov 16, 2009
One could argue there's plenty that's not necessarily 'natural' about our beef production. The average weight of cattle didnt exactly get hundreds of pounds larger on its own. Which has had its own downsides.

Are humans not natural, either? I’m guessing the average size of American adult has seen a very similar growth pattern.

I would consider increased genetics, better nutrition, better care-taking, better facilities, etc to all be natural changes that we have made to increase the average size of a slaughtered cow.

The packers drove the size increase, looking for cattle that would be larger to “maximize the hook” that the carcass hangs on in the slaughter house - a 900 lb carcass and 700 lb carcass have similar fixed costs, so it’s more profitable to process the larger animal. We have reached that maximum now and you actually get docked for carcasses over a certain weight, so I’m guessing the industry will adjust/has adjusted to stop the growth for now.

Reactions: amishclone

CloneGuy8

Mar 20, 2017
Since we've gotten more healthy, my wife will put this fake meat in stuff like spaghetti or taco's and I honestly can't tell a difference

BCClone

Well Seen Member.
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 4, 2011
Not exactly sure.
Are humans not natural, either? I’m guessing the average size of American adult has seen a very similar growth pattern.

I would consider increased genetics, better nutrition, better care-taking, better facilities, etc to all be natural changes that we have made to increase the average size of a slaughtered cow.

The packers drove the size increase, looking for cattle that would be larger to “maximize the hook” that the carcass hangs on in the slaughter house - a 900 lb carcass and 700 lb carcass have similar fixed costs, so it’s more profitable to process the larger animal. We have reached that maximum now and you actually get docked for carcasses over a certain weight, so I’m guessing the industry will adjust/has adjusted to stop the growth for now.

I forget the specific plant, but the hog carcasses were increasing enough that the rails finally broke due to excess weight.

capitalcityguy

Jun 14, 2007
Des Moines
Since we've gotten more healthy, my wife will put this fake meat in stuff like spaghetti or taco's and I honestly can't tell a difference

This comment is interesting to me because I used to be there but now I view this in the opposite direction.

From my current perspective on healthy eating, there is really not a lot that is healthy when looking at the makeup of tacos and ESPECIALLY spaghetti other than the animal protein…and you are essentially removing that.

Not a doctor and not disparaging you, just making an observation based on where I’m currently at (i.e.…I’m currently following ketogenic/carnivore way of eating).

• Agree
Reactions: CycoCyclone