Impossible Burger

Cyclonepride

Thought Police
Staff member
Apr 11, 2006
A pineapple under the sea
www.oldschoolradical.com
I was attending a work conference this week, and one of the meals we were served featured the new, meatless, Impossible Burger. Now, I am not, nor have I ever been, even remotely a vegetarian, and I will not be giving dead animals up any time soon. However, I will say that I found the impossible burger to be pretty shocking. I wouldn't say it tasted exactly like beef, but it was reasonably close. Close enough that I could see in the near future, that they'll be pretty indistinguishable. But more important than it's closeness to beef, was the fact that it just tasted good. It's the first meatless burger I can say that about. I was impressed.

Anyone else try one?

Just heard that BK was going to introduce this into their menu. I'll definitely try it. My wife will be excited if it's good, as she's vegetarian.

JY07

Aug 20, 2009
DSM
Beyond Meat.

They IPO’d yesterday and the stock doubled in price.

I would think if they can sell their product at a comparable price to meat, eventually they'd be huge.

I think most people eat meat just out of convenience: it's relatively cheap and tastes good. If you can replicate both, and throw in the guilt pitch that nothing died for your dinner, I think over time people choosing the meat option would dwindle

KnappShack

May 26, 2008
Parts Unknown
I would think if they can sell their product at a comparable price to meat, eventually they'd be huge.

I think most people eat meat just out of convenience: it's relatively cheap and tastes good. If you can replicate both, and throw in the guilt pitch that nothing died for your dinner, I think over time people choosing the meat option would dwindle

I would take that option. If there is a meat alternative that I can use to cook with or grab at the drive thru then I'll take it.

Del Taco has fake meat tacos that get good reviews. Impossible burger. I'm in.

Reactions: harimad

DeereClone

Nov 16, 2009
I think it's really interesting that the current food movement is from less processed and manufactured foods to more natural, wholesome foods. But in meat it seems to be going the other way from natural, wholesome beef to a processed, manufactured substance.

As a farmer I am a little biased.

Al_4_State

Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 27, 2006
Driftless Region
Visit site
I ordered a veggie burger at DQ when in Rochester Minnesota. Hey, it is a burger with veggies right? Heck no, they took beans, corn, and some other Godforsaken crap, mashed it together and put some seasoning in it. It was bad.

As bad as the time I was at the rainforest cafe and got the mushroom burger. A flipping mushroom on a bun. What is that?

Why were you ordering a veggie burger at DQ?

Also, it better not be the old DQ on north Broadway that's open seasonally. That place is unimpeachable.

DeereClone

Nov 16, 2009
Also for those that are interested in this product - what is the driver behind your interest?

BCClone

Well Seen Member.
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 4, 2011
Not exactly sure.
Why were you ordering a veggie burger at DQ?

Also, it better not be the old DQ on north Broadway that's open seasonally. That place is unimpeachable.

At mayo and felt like a burger but not the cafeteria food so it gets a little limited when you have to stay in walking distance. It is the one underneath the courtyard stuff there.

I thought a veggie burger is what it means in Iowa. I hamburger with vegetables on it. I now know.

Reactions: Al_4_State

JP4CY

I'm Mike Jones
Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 19, 2008
Testifying
Portobellos are delicious, unfortunately I think they are even better on top of a burger.
I don't really care for mushrooms at all but OMalley and McGees in Ames (RIP) had portobello fajitas that were amazing.

• Agree
Reactions: JaCyn

DeereClone

Nov 16, 2009
At mayo and felt like a burger but not the cafeteria food so it gets a little limited when you have to stay in walking distance. It is the one underneath the courtyard stuff there.

I thought a veggie burger is what it means in Iowa. I hamburger with vegetables on it. I now know.

I made that mistake with a mushroom burger one time. I thought I was getting something similar to a mushroom and swiss but ended up getting a giant portabella mushroom on a bun. The waitress literally LOLd when I told her they must have forgot my hamburger patty.

BCClone

Well Seen Member.
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 4, 2011
Not exactly sure.
I made that mistake with a mushroom burger one time. I thought I was getting something similar to a mushroom and swiss but ended up getting a giant portabella mushroom on a bun. The waitress literally LOLd when I told her they must have forgot my hamburger patty.

I ordered that at rainforest cafe. Was in a hurry to help the kids and then just did a quick glance on the menu. Helping the kids seemed to be my job. Even today with the youngest 12 I seem to be the rushed one so I do a glance and order. I didnt' think it was just a mushroom, but the rest of my family knew and never said anything until I started eating it.

Halincandenza

Oct 24, 2018
The impossible burger and the beyond meat burger are the closest veggie burgers to real burgers. Others really aren’t trying to mimic real meat but these brands are trying to do that because they are targeting meat eaters as well as vegetarians. I like them both.

coolerifyoudid

Feb 8, 2013
KC
My wife ordered an impossible burger a while back, and I had a bite of it. I was surprised at how well it tasted.

That being said, I will stick to my carnivorous ways if given the option.

DeereClone

Nov 16, 2009
My wife's oncologist wants her to avoid food with hormones (meat, dairy) and eat particular things that will help make her body inhospitable to cancer while the chemo does its work.

I am sorry to hear that about your wife, hope for nothing but the best for you guys!

ISUTex

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 25, 2012
Rural U.S.A.
Next couple of years they will probably come out and tell us that the "Impossible Burger" causes cancer. Will probably be worse than soda and e-cigs. :confused:

• Agree
Reactions: snowcraig2.0

TruClone

Mar 25, 2009
Quad Cities
The way I look at it, if I want a burger, I will eat a burger. Not something someone is trying to make taste like a burger when I can just have a real burger. Call me crazy...

Mr Janny

Welcome to the Office of Secret Intelligence
Staff member
Bookie
SuperFanatic
Mar 27, 2006
Also for those that are interested in this product - what is the driver behind your interest?
For me it was purely curiosity. It was the same reason I try any food that I haven't before. I don't care much about the vegetarian/carnivore debate. If something is good, and it's not too terrible for me, I'm willing to give it a shot, and if it's good enough, add it to the regular rotation.

DeereClone

Nov 16, 2009
For me it was purely curiosity. It was the same reason I try any food that I haven't before. I don't care much about the vegetarian/carnivore debate. If something is good, and it's not too terrible for me, I'm willing to give it a shot, and if it's good enough, add it to the regular rotation.

That makes sense - do you see yourself making a change in your diet and eating habits to alternative "meat" going forward or is this just a one-time "try it to see what it's like" type of deal?

Mr Janny

Welcome to the Office of Secret Intelligence
Staff member
Bookie
SuperFanatic
Mar 27, 2006
That makes sense - do you see yourself making a change in your diet and eating habits to alternative "meat" going forward or is this just a one-time "try it to see what it's like" type of deal?
I can say, with near certainty, that I have no plans to cut meat out. I am not looking at this new product as an alternative to anything. In my opinion, it stands on its own. It doesn't have to be replace meat to have a place on the menu at my house.

CascadeClone

Oct 24, 2009
I think it's really interesting that the current food movement is from less processed and manufactured foods to more natural, wholesome foods. But in meat it seems to be going the other way from natural, wholesome beef to a processed, manufactured substance.

As a farmer I am a little biased.

I don't know if "processed" is a fair word. My understanding is they are using the same cells and biology to just "grow" muscle tissue (ie meat) in a petri dish. So it is literally meat, just not from a whole animal. I'm not sure how they provide energy to it to keep it growing, I suppose google can tell us.

Not sure if that is what the Impossible Burger is, but I had read this as something that was being done and close to fruition. On one hand, it's great that it is the "same" thing. On the other hand, it's kinda creepy af too. Not sure how I feel about it.

I could see this taking up some market share from "traditional" sources. Possibly a cheaper source of protein. But maybe the traditional would then command a price premium.

They are also growing organs, like kidneys and livers and such, for transplants. I think they are doing some of this already.

Brave new world kids...

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron