RECRUITING INSIDER: What I know about Iowa State’s top targets

SpokaneCY

Apr 11, 2006
Spokane, WA
Surf Ninjas Rob Schneider is the best Rob Schneider.

3R333Wc.gif

This thread shall now catalog Rob's finest work.

Worlds shortest thread maybe?

fsanford

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 22, 2007
Los Angeles
There are SO MANY moving parts right now that I wanted to get everything into one spot for all of you. I’ve been working the phones this morning attempting to get a good feel on Iowa State’s spring period. Not much new here but perhaps some insight that provides more information for you all.

Here’s what I know:

Clarence Nadolny, the 6-foot-3 guard out of Paris, is officially visiting Iowa State this weekend. It’s been well publicized that it’s a three program race with Iowa State, Texas Tech and West Virginia being the leaders.

I honestly don’t have a great feel here. I think the fact that Prohm got in so early really helps but it’s difficult to ignore what Texas Tech did in the postseason. Perhaps Chris Beard being such a big name now will actually help in the sense that nobody really knows how long he will be in Lubbock?

Sahvir Wheeler, a highly-rated point guard out of Houston Christian recently de-committed from Texas A&M following the firing of Billy Kennedy.

I’m hearing he will be on campus either the 22nd-24th of the 23rd-25th. The date, at this point, is tentative.

A lot of moving parts here, as you would expect for at top 100 kid in mid-April … a former A&M assistant coach from the staff he committed to is at Georgia, where I believe he will also visit. Iowa State has to be helped by the fact that Billy Kennedy and Steve Prohm are longtime allies.

Then, of course, there is Caleb Grill. He will be on campus officially the 29th-30th. My gut tells me that Iowa State and Kansas State are the leaders but TJ Otzelberger and UNLV is an interesting outlier. There’s a great relationship with Otz, who Grill committed to at SDSU, but will the young man and his family be comfortable going to Vegas? After all, we heard that Grill left SDSU because he wanted the opportunity to play closer to home? Stay tuned. Creighton seems to be on the outside looking in.

One more: Troy transfer Javan Johnson will be in Ames May 1-3.

Also: I’m hearing that Iowa State is in the mix with a number of graduate transfers as well but there are a lot of timing issues as far as visits, etc. to still work out. I hope to have more names for you by the end of the week.

The magic 8 ball says" Reply Hazy ask again later" as it relates to Georgia.
Things might be turning in ISU's favor

Last edited:

Knownothing

Nov 22, 2006
It is insane. We have 3 open spots, 4 confirmed visits, including some highly sought after guys. What exactly am I missing?

What you are missing is this. We have 3 open spots. 4 visits and 3 of those visits we might not even be the leader on. The 4th visit is a kid who has to sit out next year and average 10 points a game at a school that is a low mid major. If you are down with that. Then fine. If we get 3 of those highly sought after players. I will gladly eat my words. However, Right now it's not looking good. Call me annoying, that's fine. I think you are an idiot myself. I have been following recruits and recruiting for over 25 years now. If you are into recruiting, you are nervous right now. If you are not then that is fine but we need some players. Not just visits.

fsanford

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 22, 2007
Los Angeles
What you are missing is this. We have 3 open spots. 4 visits and 3 of those visits we might not even be the leader on. The 4th visit is a kid who has to sit out next year and average 10 points a game at a school that is a low mid major. If you are down with that. Then fine. If we get 3 of those highly sought after players. I will gladly eat my words. However, Right now it's not looking good. Call me annoying, that's fine. I think you are an idiot myself. I have been following recruits and recruiting for over 25 years now. If you are into recruiting, you are nervous right now. If you are not then that is fine but we need some players. Not just visits.

https://www.redandblack.com/sports/...cle_e702e940-61e0-11e9-aa74-5fff9345c72f.html

Believe this is why one of those guys was considering Georgia..

Would not surprise me if he cancels his visit there..

Last edited:
Reactions: Cyclonepride

IASTATE07

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 30, 2016
So javan Johnson the only one we're looking favorable for. And about the only guy in that group that doesn't move the meter. 2017 is coming back too fast

What's the point of being doom and gloom without letting things play out? I mean CW did mention us with a grad transfer.

Kurttr

Mar 19, 2006
By all means, we should all freak out. This is such unchartered territory in college basketball and for ISU...In your many years of following ISU, please log the # of times we've been here at this time of year and had a sure thing for next year - no question marks, a top eight that was a given, nothing needed from any freshmen or a transfer from last year or a returning player that didn't get a lot of PT last year or was injured...

jbindm

Dec 2, 2010
Des Moines
So javan Johnson the only one we're looking favorable for. And about the only guy in that group that doesn't move the meter. 2017 is coming back too fast

Way too early to tell. Check back in May. Things are just too fluid to know one way or the other at the moment.

isutrevman

Jan 30, 2007
Ames, IA
Your mistake is assuming that these 4 visits are the only ones we're going to have.

Aclone

Dec 14, 2007
Des Moines, Ia.
I have been following recruits and recruiting for over 25 years now. If you are into recruiting, you are nervous right now.

I’ve been following recruiting for forty years, since guys like Dan Marino, John Elway, Clark Kellogg and Isiah Thomas were high school seniors.

I’m not nervous at all. Don’t project your insecurities on to everyone else.

clonehenge

Apr 14, 2006
There's been talk about Tech's available scholarships when it comes to Nadolny...well one just opened up...

• Informative
Reactions: isutrevman

LLCoolCY

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 28, 2010
Minneapolis
There's been talk about Tech's available scholarships when it comes to Nadolny...well one just opened up...

Yep, concerning day for Beard. Miss on Chris Harris Jr to OSU and Culver declared for the NBA. Wen't from crowded guard situation to a lot of time available.

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron