Hoiberg to Huskers

Die4Cy

Jan 2, 2010
I will never really understand where this Cult of Fred came from.

Accomplishmemts as a player aside, he left ISU after flirting for two years with several universities and awful NBA gigs. No more accomplishments coaching here than the current guy has. Has the same deficiencies Prohm has, and more, if you count his lack of interest in recruiting.

But they want Fred even though he couldn't GAF about them. It's rather disturbing.

CoKane

Oct 26, 2013
Cedar Rapids
Fred only cares about Fred and has shown that he'll dump whatever school he's at as soon as a better offer shows up - the college game already has enough coaches like that.
Get a grip. He left us for his dream job which didn't work out, and now he's back to coaching college again. What did you want him to do, never coach again so none of us ever felt bad about him leaving in the first place?

Brandon

Feb 6, 2014
We have a coach at Isu who wants to be here and who does a phenomenal job recruiting. Hoiberg has said some **** in the past that makes me feel he isn't genuine, the recruits will see it for what it is.

Die4Cy

Jan 2, 2010
It’s a selfish opinion. I understand that. On here if you don’t like Steve you aren’t a real fan. I’m sad bc we extended a coach I don’t believe is a good enough coach. And someone I revere just signed with Nebraska.

It’s a selfish opinion I know but I dont care.

Now bring on the “give up your tix, you’re not a real fan, etc.”

original.gif

• Funny
Reactions: WastedTalent

Dandy

Future CF Mod
Oct 11, 2012
Western Iowa
Fred only cares about Fred and has shown that he'll dump whatever school he's at as soon as a better offer shows up - the college game already has enough coaches like that.
Buzz Williams left VT for TAMU a day after losing in the tournament. 90 percent (made up number but probably accurate) of college coaches have any loyalty to their current job. Always chasing the bigger paycheck.

imnclone

Oct 22, 2006
So if Fred is on the Tim Floyd plan, that would make Fred's Nebraska gig the same as Floyd's USC gig.

That is what I was thinking too

Tim Floyd
Iowa State: 81–47 (.633) 30–30 (.500)
nba: 93–235 (.284)
USC: 85–50** (.630) 38–33** (.535)

Big Red Fred (heard Blum say this, funny)
Iowa State: 115–56 (.673) 49–39 (.557)
nba: 115-155 (.426)
Nebraska:

** Tim Floyd suddenly resigned as basketball coach at Southern California on Tuesday following allegations that he gave $1,000 in cash to a man who helped steer former star player O.J. Mayo to the Trojans.

But I don't think Fred will be handing anyone cash in an envelope.

Jeff Goodman @GoodmanHoops

Fred Hoiberg is also expected to hire St. John’s assistant Matt Abdelmassih, source told @Stadium. Abdelmassih was with Hoiberg at Iowa State and did much of the heavy lifting with recruiting.

Appreciate Fred bringing ISU's program back to life, but he is gone now. Would never pull for UNL no matter who is coaching there.

CYphyllis

Jun 22, 2010
Get a grip. He left us for his dream job which didn't work out, and now he's back to coaching college again. What did you want him to do, never coach again so none of us ever felt bad about him leaving in the first place?

It feels like you had that reply copied and ready to paste. It has absolutely nothing to do with what I replied with.

If you think white knighting for Fred Hoiberg is the mature way to handle the news, you're wrong, it's nothing more than naivety.

Die4Cy

Jan 2, 2010
Buzz Williams left VT for TAMU a day after losing in the tournament. 90 percent (made up number but probably accurate) of college coaches have any loyalty to their current job. Always chasing the bigger paycheck.

And to be honest, coaches who are loyal or give a home town discount get burned by AD's the first time they go .500. You see it all the time.

It's a business.

• Winner
Reactions: rochclone

CoKane

Oct 26, 2013
Cedar Rapids
It feels like you had that reply copied and ready to paste. It has absolutely nothing to do with what I replied with.

If you think white knighting for Fred Hoiberg is the mature way to handle the news, you're wrong, it's nothing more than naivety.
What? I was responding you to being pissed that Fred decided to go coach somewhere else. Reading is your friend

3TrueFans

Just a Happily Married Man
Sep 10, 2009
Ames
I will never really understand where this Cult of Fred came from.

Accomplishmemts as a player aside, he left ISU after flirting for two years with several universities and awful NBA gigs. No more accomplishments coaching here than the current guy has. Has the same deficiencies Prohm has, and more, if you count his lack of interest in recruiting.

But they want Fred even though he couldn't GAF about them. It's rather disturbing.
I can't speak for anyone else but for someone that has lived in Ames their entire life Fred is a hometown guy. I'm not an NBA fan but when he played in the NBA I always thought it was cool when he did well just because of the connection back to Ames. I don't see why I should be upset because he's taking jobs that aren't Iowa State, lots of Cyclone fans take jobs at places that aren't Iowa State.

I'd be mad if he went to coach at an actual rival like Iowa or Kansas, or if this were 2009 and he went to Nebraska, but the whole Nebraska rivalry thing died like a decade ago.

• Agree
Reactions: CycloneRulzzz

clonehenge

Apr 14, 2006
They're not a rival, the cyclones never play them anymore.

They are now a recruiting rival for any good Iowa, Minnesota, Wisconsin, or Illinois HS kid.

Don't kid yourself, Hoiberg will be going after many of the same upper Midwest recruits that Prohm will.

It was bad enough battling Iowa, Minnesota, Wisconsin and Illinois for these kids.