Hoiberg to Huskers

CTTB78

Apr 7, 2006
Pulling for LSU tonight, not only because I can't stand Izzo and Michigan St., because we then get see if this was all smoke or not.

Reactions: isutrevman

Cydkar

Apr 12, 2006
... but we all must move past it...
giphy.gif

• Funny
Reactions: NWICY

allfourcy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 26, 2012
I'm with you on everything except the bolded. Fred has probably earned somewhere north of $50,000,000.00 during his career as a player, front office man and a coach. He also doesn't seem like someone that would have squandered all of that away.

Of course not....I probably didn’t word that very well. Just stating the obvious that he wants to work and coaching is his passion still at this stage of life.

LLCoolCY

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 28, 2010
Minneapolis
Getting the band back together. Lutz next?

@JPPelzman Hearing that St. John's assistant Matt Abdelmassih likely will be headed to Nebraska to join old boss Fred Hoiberg unless there is a last-minute snag in Hoiberg's negotiations with the 'Huskers #sjubb

FinalFourCy

Mar 5, 2017

@JPPelzman Hearing that St. John's assistant Matt Abdelmassih likely will be headed to Nebraska to join old boss Fred Hoiberg unless there is a last-minute snag in Hoiberg's negotiations with the 'Huskers #sjubb
Time for Doc Sadler to go home. Yeah, bud.

AuH2O

Sep 7, 2013
I think it is natural to always compare the current coach with the last coach. With Hoiberg, it was always talking about how much he showed how McDermott really sucked. The worst part with this one though is that Fred is a ISU legend and brought the program back.

I think if there had been a coach in between them, you wouldn't hear the back and forth. I really don't understand why people can't like both but that's just me.

To be fair, we didn't need Fred to show how bad McDoormat sucked here. Orr, Floyd, Larry and even Wayne Morgan did plenty to show that.

• Agree
Reactions: NWICY and ca4cy

AuH2O

Sep 7, 2013

Not sure what it was exactly, but for some reason Matt A. always bugged the crap out of me, even when he was recruiting for ISU.

Mr Janny

Welcome to the Office of Secret Intelligence
Staff member
Bookie
SuperFanatic
Mar 27, 2006
Who never won the Big 12 or made it past the Sweet Sixteen.

Hoiberg's ghost ain't MJ's ghost. Prohm will be fine if folks settle down and let him.

Well said. The potential of what Fred could have been is a lot bigger than what he actually accomplished at ISU. That's not to relegate his accomplishments, which were definitely impressive, but not exactly legendary.

NorthCyd

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 22, 2011
"My motivation is this ghost I'm chasing," James said in an interview with Sports Illustrated.

"The ghost played in Chicago."

Prohm is coaching against a ghost.
Jordan isn't suddenly going to start playing for the Clippers. Not sure the ghost analogy fits if the ghost is going to start coaching next door.

Sigmapolis

Minister of Economy
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 10, 2011
Waukee
Jordan isn't suddenly going to start playing for the Clippers. Not sure the ghost analogy fits if the ghost is going to start coaching next door.

I think the point is you're competing against an idealized memory, wrapped in 20 layers of warm, fuzzy nostalgia, where people have forgotten the challenges, little failures, and bumps along the road that make up the reality of any career or competition.

It is hard for LeBron to measure up to Jordan when all we think about is Game 6.

In some ways, I think that might make things easier on Prohm (e.g., people will stop acting like Fred make deep runs in the NCAA tournament and won Big 12 regular season championships, which he never did or really came very close to), but I can see that Nebraska having a better season than us by one inch will equal absolute calamity for those types and whatever success we have beyond them will easily be dismissed or discounted somehow.