Hoiberg to Huskers

• After Iowa State won the Big 12, a Cyclone made a wonderful offer to We Will that now increases our match. Now all gifts up to $400,000 between now and the Final 4 will be matched. Please consider giving at We Will Collective.
    This notice can be dismissed using the upper right corner X button.

WastedTalent

Oct 22, 2012
Weiskamp was an Iowa commit at 15 there was no recruiting of him. Look where Carton ended up OSU is down a little with their coaching change but they get big time kids there all of the time and have a big history.

Lipsey I can see but again if he goes 5 star then Nebby is probably the least of our worries in that battle. Now if a guy comes along from Iowa that starts off slow in the 200’s and then starts working his way up to get in the top 100 yes then I’d agree Fred would probably be a player against us and Iowa for that kid.
I'm not saying Weiskamp directly. Of course he was never coming here, but if another recruit like him comes along, then they'll be a battle. Same with Carton, there was something that he didn't like about Iowa St, or maybe even something Prohm didn't like about him, but there will be another recruit in Iowa like those two, in terms of national rankings, and abilities.

Gunnerclone

Jul 16, 2010
DSM
I'm not saying Weiskamp directly. Of course he was never coming here, but if another recruit like him comes along, then they'll be a battle. Same with Carton, there was something that he didn't like about Iowa St, or maybe even something Prohm didn't like about him, but there will be another recruit in Iowa like those two, in terms of national rankings, and abilities.

Carton was a 5 star top 20 kid. Weiskamp was a top 60 kid. Not even comparable. Once Carton went 5 star the pool of possible landing spots went way down in number and way up in pedigree and ISU and Iowa were done.

cydsho

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 10, 2006
Omaha, NE
I mis-read the tweet, deleted my post. Moos expects to take 7-14 days to hire someone. Said he's talked to Fred (and others) but hasn't met him in person in Lincoln.

I thought the tweet read that they were going to have a coaching firm do research for 7-14 days.
Wait, what? Does it take that long for the ink to dry on Hoiberg's contract? I thought it was a done deal?

madguy30

Nov 15, 2011
He has made that abundantly clear, so why should we root for him at Nebraska? I will never root for Nebraska, so I will never root for Fred while he is coaching there.

I wouldn't root for him but I'd check out Nebraska basketball just to see how it goes.

• Disagree
Reactions: mynameisjonas

WastedTalent

Oct 22, 2012
Carton was a 5 star top 20 kid. Weiskamp was a top 60 kid. Not even comparable. Once Carton went 5 star the pool of possible landing spots went way down in number and way up in pedigree and ISU and Iowa were done.
It was still Ohio St.

I would like to think that Prohm, through longevity and success, can improve Iowa St to a point that he can land an instate kid that is a high 4* or a 5*

Malone

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 7, 2010
Des Moines
And I assume you are a prick

I'd rather be a prick than somebody who believes an individual on a message board posting a prediction has any bearing on anything that happens in this world

Use your brain. Stop breathing from your mouth

Gunnerclone

Jul 16, 2010
DSM
It was still Ohio St.

I would like to think that Prohm, through longevity and success, can improve Iowa St to a point that he can land an instate kid that is a high 4* or a 5*

I just took a walk around St Johns arena the other day (which is like a shrine to OSU sports now) Made me look at OSU b-ball in a totally different light.

dahliaclone

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 4, 2007
Minneapolis
Maybe it's just me, but I refuse to get upset about what a grown man decides to do for a living.

Yeah, yeah, I know...but I honestly feel the negative reaction this is getting is a pretty good sign of the insecurity that some Cyclone fans bring along with their fandom.

He has every right to do what he feels best. And sometimes minds change (i.e. 'hating' recruiting and now back to college coaching). And I think what he did for us as a coach was great. But I don't wish him success at Nebraska. Not because it's THE MAYOR going to Nebraska. Because we will be fighting for recruits with him. I only hope he beats Iowa every game.

dahliaclone

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 4, 2007
Minneapolis
Good luck to Fred. I can't imagine how tough it was to coach here. The pressure must've been unreal, plus the inability of going anywhere in town with his family without being bugged by fans.

Possibly not untrue...but it was his idea to pitch Pollard to come back as coach. There sure seems to be a lot of 'oh poor Fred. He must have just hated it here. He MUST have not gotten along with Pollard. He REALLY must have hated recruiting...' Blah blah blah. He's a big boy and knew what he was doing/getting himself into when he took the job here.

jsb

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 7, 2008
I understand this. I don't agree with this.

Counter-narrative for the thought-driven (read: not emotion-driven, crazed fanaticism) man:
He is a grown man making financial decisions for his family. He was open with JP from the beginning about his desire to be an NBA coach. He left for a situation reuniting him with a connection - Gar Forman (who ironically was the reason Fred was fired). He didn't feed a line about recruiting - he hated it and still does, and will hire a staff that does a lot of heavy lifting for him there. Why not go somewhere that has great facilities, B1G dollars, midwest roots, low expectations, and great fan support? And Fred doesn't give a flying f**k about what you think about his legacy.

That’s fine. But then we shouldn’t be forced to give a **** about him.