Hoiberg to Huskers

KnappShack

May 26, 2008
Parts Unknown
I understand this. I don't agree with this.

Counter-narrative for the thought-driven (read: not emotion-driven, crazed fanaticism) man:
He is a grown man making financial decisions for his family. He was open with JP from the beginning about his desire to be an NBA coach. He left for a situation reuniting him with a connection - Gar Forman (who ironically was the reason Fred was fired). He didn't feed a line about recruiting - he hated it and still does, and will hire a staff that does a lot of heavy lifting for him there. Why not go somewhere that has great facilities, B1G dollars, midwest roots, low expectations, and great fan support? And Fred doesn't give a flying f**k about what you think about his legacy.

If Fred doesn't care then why should the average Cyclone fan care about his legacy?

StClone

Dec 17, 2009
Wisconsin
At Nebraska that is like winning the national championship.
Nebraska
So just because Foster doesn't get a blue blood offer, Iowa St wouldn't want him? Don't agree with that.

And I would take a Weiskamp just about any year.

I didn't take that as the inference. Just that, Blue Bloods recruiters may evaluate Foster differently than recruiting services and not see him as a priority over other big time recruits. He is without a doubt the best the state of Iowa produces and likely a very good recruit for any Iowa School.

WastedTalent

Oct 22, 2012
I dont doubt he grew up being aware of Fred but wouldn't Fred have been the coach when he was like ages 6-11 or something? I would think he's much more aware of Prohms teams. Fred impressing him would be mostly by name, what he's heard about him.
I figure up to 5th grade. I realize he's more aware of Prohm and his team's, but I was 5th and 6th for Floyd, Cato, Willoughby, Jacy, Pratt, Bankhead. Those guys are legend to me.

Reactions: heitclone

Gunnerclone

Jul 16, 2010
DSM
So just because Foster doesn't get a blue blood offer, Iowa St wouldn't want him? Don't agree with that.

Didn’t say that at all. And the Weiskamp reference was to highlight that Iowa produces that top 50-100 kid pretty rarely so the recruiting battles that Fred could potentially be involved in with ISU and Iowa will by proxy be pretty rare which isn’t what the post Inoriginally responded to I was concerned about.

The overall point is I don’t really give a **** about recruiting Iowa because it’s not going to make or break recruiting classes or the program.

FinalFourCy

Mar 5, 2017

Counter-narrative for the thought-driven (read: not emotion-driven, crazed fanaticism) man:
He is a grown man making financial decisions for his family. He was open with JP from the beginning about his desire to be an NBA coach. He left for a situation reuniting him with a connection - Gar Forman (who ironically was the reason Fred was fired). He didn't feed a line about recruiting - he hated it and still does, and will hire a staff that does a lot of heavy lifting for him there. Why not go somewhere that has great facilities, B1G dollars, midwest roots, low expectations, and great fan support? And Fred doesn't give a flying f**k about what you think about his legacy.
That’s all true. But we also should not give a **** the Nebraska coach was formerly a Cyclone and once carried The Mayor moniker. Just like every Nebraska coach before him, I hope he fails and gets zero positive attention in Iowa and recruiting areas.

Mar 7, 2019
I dont doubt he grew up being aware of Fred but wouldn't Fred have been the coach when he was like ages 6-11 or something? I would think he's much more aware of Prohms teams. Fred impressing him would be mostly by name, what he's heard about him.

Lipsey (sp) has been quoted that Fred is one of his basketball idols (saw it in an interview he did).

Reactions: heitclone

aeroclone

Oct 30, 2006

So then why not hire recruiting assistants to do the lifting while in Ames? Look, there is nothing wrong with doing what is best for you and your family, I have no issue with that. But those actions have consequences beyond your family. If you want to say Fred doesn't give a **** about what I think about his legacy what you are really saying is Fred doesn't give a **** about his legacy period. Your legacy here isn't just stats, it is the hearts and minds of the fanbase. If you want to rise to the status of golden child or ISU Mt Rushmore or whatever, there are things you just can't do. Ditching your school for the next "better" opportunity to come along and then shacking up with a hated rival when it doesn't work out is one of those things that you can't pull off without tarnishing your perfect image.

Last edited:

WastedTalent

Oct 22, 2012
Didn’t say that at all. And the Weiskamp reference was to highlight that Iowa produces that top 50-100 kid pretty rarely so the recruiting battles that Fred could potentially be involved in with ISU and Iowa will by proxy be pretty rare which isn’t what the post Inoriginally responded to I was concerned about.

The overall point is I don’t really give a **** about recruiting Iowa because it’s not going to make or break recruiting classes or the program.
Agree with the last point, but he will be recruiting against Iowa St, there's no doubt. Lipsey, and Foster in the future, and it's difficult to project future recruits, so looking at the past, he would have recruited Carton and Weiskamp as well. All guys that I would love to have at Iowa St.

FinalFourCy

Mar 5, 2017

Moreover, Iowa hasn’t taken more than a couple Iowa recruits that we have wanted, and we’ve clearly been successful despite not having Iowans. But We still compete with them, and I generally want to see them lose. That would not change if a former Cyclone coached Iowa.
UNL isn’t Iowa, but there’s still market share and it’ll likely increase with Hoiberg there.

isuno1fan

Mar 30, 2006
Clive, Iowa

Screw you. You jinxed the MBB team out of the tournament with your dumbarse Houston thread

Last edited:

Gunnerclone

Jul 16, 2010
DSM
Agree with the last point, but he will be recruiting against Iowa St, there's no doubt. Lipsey, and Foster in the future, and it's difficult to project future recruits, so looking at the past, he would have recruited Carton and Weiskamp as well. All guys that I would love to have at Iowa St.

Weiskamp was an Iowa commit at 15 there was no recruiting of him. Look where Carton ended up OSU is down a little with their coaching change but they get big time kids there all of the time and have a big history.

Lipsey I can see but again if he goes 5 star then Nebby is probably the least of our worries in that battle. Now if a guy comes along from Iowa that starts off slow in the 200’s and then starts working his way up to get in the top 100 yes then I’d agree Fred would probably be a player against us and Iowa for that kid.

cyatheart

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 18, 2008
Look, it's not good for Iowa State basketball where a guy that we know is a great coach, with deep Iowa roots to be at Nebraska. We want them to suck, and they won't now most likely. Same for Iowa, same for Minnesota....etc. It is better for Iowa State if they suck. By the way, this is not good for Iowa or Creighton either. (You want to play for Fred, Greg or Fran? Easy question.) Now it's not the end of the world, each coach has to have their own inroads to recruits and there are plenty of good players out there. My guess is there won't be a ton of overlap, but take Xavier Foster...does he take a look at Nebraska now? I have no idea, but it's not crazy. My guess is Fred puts in a call. But if things ever get sideways on Prohm here, and Fred is winning at Nebraska, it's going to get toxic very quickly. I am not of the opinion anything could be done about this, at any point. It is what it is.

I am not one who wants Fred back, it is better if Prohm keeps improving as a coach, keeps recruiting at a high level and stays. But it would be better if Fred were not 200 miles down the road, as it just makes this ghost impossible to shake.

Dandy

Future CF Mod
Oct 11, 2012
Western Iowa
Well Fred’s supposedly on vacation. Or they could be waiting until his sons team is done with the ncaa Tournament
I mis-read the tweet, deleted my post. Moos expects to take 7-14 days to hire someone. Said he's talked to Fred (and others) but hasn't met him in person in Lincoln.

I thought the tweet read that they were going to have a coaching firm do research for 7-14 days.

• Informative
Reactions: RRRunotEntertained