***Official Texas postgame thread***

ISUChippewa

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 10, 2006
Well, no sense trying to sugarcoat this one. What a disappointing game, and while I wasn't expecting a victory, especially without Lard, I also wasn't expecting a total beatdown for the last thirty minutes of the game.

It's no secret that I'm an ardent and passionate defender of CSP, and that's not going to change. I've consistently always been a defender of the coach (any coach) when it comes to the X's and O's part of the job, due to the fact that it's their career and a career they have been preparing their whole professional lives for, and that I feel even the most questionable coaches (like Greg McDermott, whom I was otherwise very critical of) know more about basketball and have forgotten more about basketball than any random number of posters on a message board know about the game. I do not care if your daughter's 4th grade gym league team went undefeated with you as the volunteer coach; you do not know more about basketball than a college basketball coach, even at the Division III level. Period. End. Of. Story.

It's easy to be critical of the coach, and sometimes with validity, for a loss like this, and easy to credit the players (and sometimes only the players) after a big win. That's the nature of the beast, so to speak, but I still question the fairness of it. Another one of the reasons why I defend Prohm, to the point of being defensive and at times over the top about it (looking at my own behavior objectively over the last couple of weeks) is because I feel that he gets held to a very high, at times even unfair, standard of performance. Anecdotally, I do not remember CFH ever getting the amount of criticism that CSP does, even after a win, and likely that's because of his hometown hero status. Again, understandable to a point, but not always fair or right. And for some posters, even just a select few, to be calling for his head, is just plain stupid and needs to be labeled as such.

Back to the game....I really wonder if we've already peaked, and that's my worry at the moment. We really can't even blame this one on a bad start, as we were were up 16-7 a few minutes into the game. What worries me is our mental fragility; once Texas tied it up at 23 all and then went on that monster run to close the first half, we completely folded. This team does lack mental toughness, and at this point in the season I don't know if that is something that can be "coached" out of them or if it's just a bug we're going to have to deal with and adjust to.

Bottom line, as disappointing as today was, we've still won 20 games up to this point in the season and will be in the tournament, one year after finishing dead last in the conference. Objectively, that's a pretty nice bounce back kind of season to have under our belts.

ISUChippewa

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 10, 2006
Hopefully this loss gets Texas into the dance. At least the conference will split some ncaa tournament money out of the deal.

Still trying to decide if we are living through Morgan 2.0 or McDermott 2.0. CSP can recruit but production on the court just plain suxs.

tumblr_mesg0scc9Q1ragpqjo1_400.jpg

Reactions: DarkStar

ISUChippewa

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 10, 2006
I don't think there is much correlation between how a team plays in the few games leading up to the NCAA's, and then how they perform during the tournament.
There are tons of examples of teams "limping" into the NCAA's and then winning, and then also teams that are "hot" entering the NCAA's and then getting beat the first weekend, or getting upset at some point.

Cough....'14-15, aka the UAB season.....cough

IASTATE07

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 30, 2016
I'm disappointed with the game today and how we've been playing. I think we'll split the last two games and win one in KC. Hopefully with about a week off between the Big 12 Tournament and the NCAAs that we can play well that first weekend.

kcbob79clone

This is a bad defensive team who play well enough from time to time to hide it.

That is all you need to know.

I honestly think they know WHAT to do but try to make a spectacular play in help defense and leave their responsibility who makes an easy shot then they throw up their hands like they knew what they did was wrong. Then they do it again.

Reactions: Doc

JP4CY

I'm Mike Jones
Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 19, 2008
Testifying
Drake would totally beat Iowa and Iowa State right now, at least they want to be on the court, not have a bunch of players who only care about going pro even though they arent even good enough to be in the D-league right now.
Also up for the Clonie nomination

IASTATE07

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 30, 2016
Drake? I live 5 minutes from their campus genius. I also watched them play Iowa State in Des Moines, they looked just as good as Iowa State that game.

My brother also lives near Drake. Zero games watched. What games did you see besides them playing Iowa State?

Reactions: aauummm

clonedude

Apr 16, 2006
I nominate this for a 2019 Clonie for dumbest take of the year.

What did ISU show anyone today that would make you think they could beat Drake? Nothing, that's what. If that had been Drake on the court today instead of Texas, we still would have lost. Maybe by not as much, but no doubt we would have lost.

We were total garbage today folks.

JP4CY

I'm Mike Jones
Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 19, 2008
Testifying
Drake? I live 5 minutes from their campus genius. I also watched them play Iowa State in Des Moines, they looked just as good as Iowa State that game.
Good think a Royce White team didnt lose to Drake and then go and and go toe to toe for 30 minutes against one of the best teams ever in the NCAA tournament.

• Funny
Reactions: NoCreativity