To all the Prohm Haters...

alarson

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 15, 2006
Ankeny
Overreactions can suck. The idiots who think Fred is coming back... also suck. At the same time, people who are 'sunshine pumpers' and refuse to accept any criticism aren't much better. You can act like some of the people criticizing are just here to criticize, but that can go both ways- there were people here defending McDermott until the bitter end.

But its not like a lot of the criticism is invalid. There have been issues, some of them consistent throughout his tenure. But he's also done some very solid things, some things even Fred didnt do.

CoKane

Oct 26, 2013
Cedar Rapids
What gets old is the fanatical on either end. But most of us defenders just hate to see fellow fans helping the negative recruiting.
When has this ever actually effect recruiting on a player who was worth a crap? Legitimately asked because I see people say this all the time but I can't remember anyone picking one school over the other due to message board posts

ISUChippewa

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 10, 2006
I keep seeing people say this on this site but I very rarely see people pining for Fred.

Like I told the other guy, you must not have been around last Saturday.

I'll admit that they are a small minority of people on here, but what they lack in numbers they make up for in volume, especially after a bad loss.

stateofmind

Jul 16, 2007
Ankeny
Who's going to start the thread to rant about people who rant about fans who have mild criticisms of Prohm? I swear to God the people you say that want to fire Prohm for Hoiberg 2.0 don't actually exist
This makes me think it's time for a Fred buyout discussion.

Prohm should have an earpiece with Fred on the other end calling plays from home.

This was a quick search with the name Fred. If you want more proof search for gizbib or jeresib or something like that.

ISUChippewa

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 10, 2006
Vocal minority like jereseib.

That guy is exactly who I'm writing about, and others much like him.

He mentioned he was going to take a break from here for the rest of January. I hope he takes a permanent break.

IASTATE07

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 30, 2016
That guy is exactly who I'm writing about, and others much like him.

He mentioned he was going to take a break from here for the rest of January. I hope he takes a permanent break.

He was lurking. He'll post again before the month is up.

• Winner
Reactions: Cat Stevens

stateofmind

Jul 16, 2007
Ankeny
When has this ever actually effect recruiting on a player who was worth a crap? Legitimately asked because I see people say this all the time but I can't remember anyone picking one school over the other due to message board posts
How can one quantify? My feeling is recruiting is rough and negative recruiting is huge. If the coach you are going against is good you tell the kid that coach is leaving for the next big job. If the guy is struggling you tell the kid he's on the hot seat. Just look at social media. I may be wrong but it's like booing your own team. It never HELPS the situation. Many times it just fires up the other team.

• Agree
Reactions: Cyclonepride

NorthCyd

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 22, 2011
Can't we just enjoy the win without going after our fellow fans? It's bad enough when people do it when the team is struggling. Do we have to do it after a big win? The people who acted like a jackass after the last two losses we're either overreacting and feel bad about it now or they are ******** and don't care what you have to say about it. Attacking after a big win accomplishes nothing outside of satisfying your own sense of "told you so". Be the bigger person and let it go.

ISUChippewa

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 10, 2006
Can't we just enjoy the win without going after our fellow fans? It's bad enough when people do it when the team is struggling. Do we have to do it after a big win? The people who acted like a jackass after the last two losses we're either overreacting and feel bad about it now or they are ******** and don't care what you have to say about it. Attacking after a big win accomplishes nothing outside of satisfying your own sense of "told you so". Be the bigger person and let it go.

Yeah, I don't disagree with this, and you're right, I probably do need to be the "bigger person".

But...it was beyond obnoxious on Saturday and I found myself getting quite fed up with it. Tonight just felt like a good "up yours" moment.

rochclone

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jan 28, 2009
I'll respond to this point by point here...

1) I would hope so too, but as we saw on Saturday, there are most decidedly a select few who are most decidedly NOT over Hoiberg.

2) If you cannot find the time to post after a big win but you can find the time to post after a crappy loss, and if that post is essentially screaming about how much the coach sucks compared to the previous coach, then yeah, I am going to imply that you are "less of a fan". We won a close game tonight, but yet it appears you don't want to give any credit for that. Make up your mind; you cannot have it both ways. And to that point, here's a fun fact for you; up until tonight, going back to last season, our previous three victories against ranked teams were all by double digits; not just hammering Kansas earlier this month, but last season with all the injuries and lack of talent we blasted both Tech and West Virginia by double digits. Funny to me how Prohm's critics of our close losses never seem to remember that nugget. So you admit you didn't watch the game tonight? I hope you have it DVR'ed? If I was you I would watch the game first before trying to sound smart with your back-handed compliments.

3) Do you have reading comprehension issues? I specifically wrote at least twice that Prohm is not above criticism or accountability. My issue is with the "fans" who clearly made up their mind to hate Prohm from the moment he was hired, because he had to replace Fred, whom some "fans" clearly cannot live without.

4) Now you just sound like a f*cking moron.

It was absolutely a great win tonight at Texas Tech and these are the types of games (back against the wall) that Prohm and his teams have excelled in. In fact I called for a win 72-66 tonight.

However, what we saw tonight was a very talented roster perform at a Top 10 level for about 34-36 minutes. Prohm has to get the SLOB and specials cleaned up. It's not a trend but a clear weakness. But I did see a couple of curl actions that he used with Shayok for a key bucket.
I think the team and coaching staff got tight with 5 minutes. Hopefully this close win especially after giving up the lead gives the team and the staff confidence because this is a VERY talented team.

BryceC

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 23, 2006
Like I told the other guy, you must not have been around last Saturday.

I'll admit that they are a small minority of people on here, but what they lack in numbers they make up for in volume, especially after a bad loss.

Then take it to DM’s or call them out by name for being stupid. Let’s not act like there is some persistent big group of people still masturbating in front of their Fred shrine. There’s always going to be a few loonies.

I was too sad this weekend after KSU. Took the weekend off.

ISUChippewa

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 10, 2006
Not saying you are wrong in your thoughts, but I'm prett sure Erik and Chaser were both being sarcastic.

I can't speak for Chaser, but while I like Erik as a poster in general and think we would probably get along swimmingly if we were to meet in person, I think he's lukewarm about CSP.

isucy86

Apr 13, 2006
Dubuque
I like Prohm a lot and beating TT on the road is a huge win. But this was a painful game to watch. We were fortunate that TT played poorly.

My frustrations are
1. For a team that plays 4 guards- we can't guard on ball. TT could get to the basket at will. This isn't just a Wigginton thing- its all our perimeter guys.
2. We have to stop falling in love with the 3. We go long stretches where we just pass the ball around the 3 poont line. Wigginton should start. He's our only guard who can get to the rim off his dribble. We need either or both more cutting to the basket or setting better screens.
3. Our inbounds plays are horid. Tonight we struggled to beat the 5 second clock. But overall we get very few baskets off the inbounds play.
4. We have to ztop being so timid on offense in the last 4 minutes of games. Too much dribbling or pazzing the ball around the 3 point line and then we try to get a good shot with 10-12 seco ds on the shot clock.

I think this team can win the Big12 title if we consistently play well and do the fundamentals.

Cynonymous

Aug 14, 2015
Overreactions can suck. The idiots who think Fred is coming back... also suck. At the same time, people who are 'sunshine pumpers' and refuse to accept any criticism aren't much better. You can act like some of the people criticizing are just here to criticize, but that can go both ways- there were people here defending McDermott until the bitter end.

But its not like a lot of the criticism is invalid. There have been issues, some of them consistent throughout his tenure. But he's also done some very solid things, some things even Fred didnt do.
The vast majority of uproar is not about legit criticisms, it's about tone. They don't say here are some things that could be better, they say Prohm isn't a good coach because...

ISUChippewa

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 10, 2006
It was absolutely a great win tonight at Texas Tech and these are the types of games (back against the wall) that Prohm and his teams have excelled in. In fact I called for a win 72-66 tonight.

However, what we saw tonight was a very talented roster perform at a Top 10 level for about 34-36 minutes. Prohm has to get the SLOB and specials cleaned up. It's not a trend but a clear weakness. But I did see a couple of curl actions that he used with Shayok for a key bucket.
I think the team and coaching staff got tight with 5 minutes. Hopefully this close win especially after giving up the lead gives the team and the staff confidence because this is a VERY talented team.

We didn't play a perfect game offensively on the road against a Top 10 team that is also, by any statistical measure, one of the best defensive teams in the nation, but still won and didn't trail at all in the second half.

Personally, I'm not going to find much to b!tch about.

I really think we won with defense tonight more than offense, especially in the clutch. Jacobson's block that led to the Haliburton to Wiggington fast break basket was huge (I know, Captain Obvious statement there).

rochclone

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jan 28, 2009
I think Texas Tech played a B- type of game. However, I also think that we are a tough matchup for both Tech & Kansas and that bodes well.

• Agree
  • Dislike
Reactions: CoKane and MartinCy