To all the Prohm Haters...

Cat Stevens

Mar 7, 2017
It was absolutely a great win tonight at Texas Tech and these are the types of games (back against the wall) that Prohm and his teams have excelled in. In fact I called for a win 72-66 tonight.

However, what we saw tonight was a very talented roster perform at a Top 10 level for about 34-36 minutes. Prohm has to get the SLOB and specials cleaned up. It's not a trend but a clear weakness. But I did see a couple of curl actions that he used with Shayok for a key bucket.
I think the team and coaching staff got tight with 5 minutes. Hopefully this close win especially after giving up the lead gives the team and the staff confidence because this is a VERY talented team.

Here’s one

• Winner
Reactions: MartinCy

rochclone

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jan 28, 2009
We didn't play a perfect game offensively on the road against a Top 10 team that is also, by any statistical measure, one of the best defensive teams in the nation, but still won and didn't trail at all in the second half.

Personally, I'm not going to find much to b!tch about.

I really think we won with defense tonight more than offense, especially in the clutch. Jacobson's block that led to the Haliburton to Wiggington fast break basket was huge (I know, Captain Obvious statement there).

I will agree that defense won the game. My personal play of the game was when LW turned over to Culver and then stole the lob right back and we got a MJ layup. Huge momentum play. About the 4 minute mark in the 2H.

Cat Stevens

Mar 7, 2017
I will agree that defense won the game. My personal play of the game was when LW turned over to Culver and then stole the lob right back and we got a MJ layup. Huge momentum play. About the 4 minute mark in the 2H.

Just so I’m clear, are you saying players make plays?

CycloneErik

Jan 31, 2008
Jamerica
rememberingdoria.wordpress.com
And you know who you are...

Coach Fred Hoiberg, for as much of a legend as he deservedly is, will NEVER coach at Iowa State again, and the sooner you dumba$$es can get that through your thick skulls the better.

Steve Prohm is our coach. He may not have played basketball at Iowa State or be the hometown hero, but he is our coach. And he is a very good coach. Is he perfect or beyond reproach or above criticism? Of course not.

But he is our coach, and if you cannot support him or the program as long as he coaches, and if you hate him so much that you never post on here after big victories like tonight or against Kansas but take the time to scream for his head after a loss like against KSU, guess what? You are NOT a Cyclone fan and whatever ISU apparel you might own needs to be donated to kids in Africa. Time to be a fan of Iowa State, not a fan of one man.

Rant over. Had to get it off my chest.

Sure, it might make the buyout higher, but never say never.

• Funny
Reactions: NWICY

rochclone

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jan 28, 2009
Here’s one

You can say anything you want. Ive given CSP credit with his ability to respond in must win situations when no one gives him a chance, and I have been critical of his OOB and SLOB plays and 14-21 record (updated with tonight's win) in games decided by 5 points or less. I think both are facts. I don't want Hoiberg back but I sure as hell thought he did a hell of a job with "specials". And Steve does a hell of a job with defensive pressure and fillings gaps on defense.

• Agree
Reactions: cb1030 and Gerbs

8bitnes

Nov 21, 2010
My wife is one in the Fred 2.0 camp and has been since the day he left to "try the NBA coaching thing". Him getting fired by the Bulls only intensified that desire. I have to walk her back on that often. Those people exist for sure.

Prohm was the answer of who we needed we Fred left. Any disruption at the top between then and now would have been catastrophic with the imbalance in our roster and the likely talent transfer out that happens when head coaches leave. The roster is stable now, ISU is performing well, and Prohm deserves credit for both.

I consistently value the way his guys minimize turnovers and the way he coaches the whole athlete. If the question is, "Who will consistently put ISU in position to win 22 games per year, make the tourney 80% of the time, and do it the right way?" The answer is Prohm for years.

If the question is, "Who is leading Iowa State to a Final Four?" The answer is not Prohm. My consistent (not knee-jerk reactions) criticisms are clock management, timeout usage, and execution coming out of dead balls. Those things swing tight games. What's Prohm's record at ISU in games decided by 5 or fewer points against teams who ended up in the tourney or top40 RPI?

• Winner
Reactions: Urbandale2013

Cat Stevens

Mar 7, 2017
You can say anything you want. Ive given CSP credit with his ability to respond in must win situations when no one gives him a chance, and I have been critical of his OOB and SLOB plays and 14-21 record (updated with tonight's win) in games decided by 5 points or less. I think both are facts. I don't want Hoiberg back but I sure as hell thought he did a hell of a job with "specials". And Steve does a hell of a job with defensive pressure and fillings gaps on defense.

And Fred could have very easily lost at least 6 more of those games. Coaches look much smarter when the shots go in.

• Creative
Reactions: Urbandale2013

NWICY

Sep 2, 2012
This was a quick search with the name Fred. If you want more proof search for gizbib or jeresib or something like that.

Erik and Chaser are being smart alecks. But there are certainly some that are just jerks.

rochclone

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jan 28, 2009
No as I said the players don’t seem to commit holding their screens, and they aren’t cutting as hard as they need to in order to move the defense.

Got it. Completely on the players. Let not do this tonight after this win.

On a side note I know you made the trip to Lubbock how were the fans at United?

Cat Stevens

Mar 7, 2017
Got it. Completely on the players. Let not do this tonight after this win.

On a side note I know you made the trip to Lubbock how were the fans at United?

The point is simple. The players make the plays. If they didn’t Rick Majerus May have won more national titles that wooden.

It was fun. Really loud at the start. Then shocked going into half. They got loud, which I think also had an impact on our guys.

But Lubbock is a ********, and their fans are Walmart shoppers who wear pajamas in public. But they were into it though. Let’s just say I can understand why Marcus smart went into the stands

NWICY

Sep 2, 2012
My wife is one in the Fred 2.0 camp and has been since the day he left to "try the NBA coaching thing". Him getting fired by the Bulls only intensified that desire. I have to walk her back on that often. Those people exist for sure.

Prohm was the answer of who we needed we Fred left. Any disruption at the top between then and now would have been catastrophic with the imbalance in our roster and the likely talent transfer out that happens when head coaches leave. The roster is stable now, ISU is performing well, and Prohm deserves credit for both.

I consistently value the way his guys minimize turnovers and the way he coaches the whole athlete. If the question is, "Who will consistently put ISU in position to win 22 games per year, make the tourney 80% of the time, and do it the right way?" The answer is Prohm for years.

If the question is, "Who is leading Iowa State to a Final Four?" The answer is not Prohm. My consistent (not knee-jerk reactions) criticisms are clock management, timeout usage, and execution coming out of dead balls. Those things swing tight games. What's Prohm's record at ISU in games decided by 5 or fewer points against teams who ended up in the tourney or top40 RPI?

I hate to be the one to tell you this, but mainly your wife just wants to have Fred's child;). (JK)

• Winner
Reactions: cb1030

MartinCy

Jul 12, 2016
Kansas City, MO
I love this team and Prohm as much as anybody on this board. He's a very good coach and probably the best recruiting head coach we have had in 20 years.

This is not a young team, though.

Minutes tonight...

36 Weiler-Babb... fifth-year senior
35 Shayok... fifth-year senior
35 Haliburton... true freshman
30 Wigginton... sophomore, played a ton as a freshman, likely his last season in Ames
26 Jacobson... fourth-year junior
24 Horton-Tucker... true freshman
14 Conditt IV... true freshman

This team is an odd combination of old men (Nick, Marial, and Mike), a super-talented sophomore who is probably about to go pro, and precocious freshmen.

I hear "young team" and I hear a majority of our minutes played by freshmen and sophomores, maybe a junior or senior or two. We had 97 of a possible 200 minutes played by men who are at least four years into their college careers, however.

That is not a "young team."

Young teams are not about to lose most of their rotation next year through graduation and probably 1-2 guys declaring for the NBA draft and not returning.

Sigma, do you know if one of the analytic sites does a stat on minutes continuity, experience or something along those lines? I agree we have a nice blend but just curious where we're at in that type of metric/how we compare to other teams across the country. Thx in advance if you're able to dig that up

fsanford

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 22, 2007
Los Angeles
]
Love the name calling and the fact folks can't disagree with someone else, whether it be fan, player or coach.
1. I hope most are past Hoiberg. Hope most are judging Prohm based on just his time here and only that.
2. Nobody wants to see Iowa State fail, but to imply disagreeing with the coach makes you less of a fan is ridiculous. He has a horrible record in close games and this team almost did it again with turnovers. Glad that wasn't the case, but his name in close games does not get cleared after one game.Please correct me since I couldn't watch the game, but Heft was freaking out before NWB made the jumper because they were once again standing around and not running any offense. A coach must put guys in a position to succeed.
3. If he isn't above criticism, you can't criticize others for criticizing Prohm, especially when the majority feels like Iowa State let's a game or two slip away. That would make you a hypocrite.
4.You seem to imply you have a wealth of Iowa State apparel. Why don't you donate $$$ to Africa and cut down on the amount of things you own? Materialism is over rated.

Calm response over.

Steve Prohm the first ISU coach to be a #1 ranked team since ISU beat the KU back in 1957
Steve Prohm the first coach to win at KU since LE
Steve Prohm has 7 top 10 wins in his short tenure at ISU
Steve Prohm has brought in 2 top 40 players, and has done a better job than his predecessor of balancing classes. He still looks to bring a transfer or 2, but has placed a greater emphasis on bringing in high school talent.
The team seems to understand that defense is part of the game, they are in games with a chance to win them.

ISU still loses those head scratchers, but they did under Fred too.

I am all for constructive criticism, I still think his teams run offense very well. If you watch games there always ebbs and flows. I have heard announcers comment team is standing around, this has been said about Duke, Kansas, MSU, and other heavy weights

Funny thing is ISU is top 20 in offensive efficiency and top 25 defensive efficiency.
Dude can coach

Sometimes people are harder on their own I guess

Last edited:

ComCY

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Oct 31, 2016
We definitely look like we're just going through the motions on OOB plays. Slow running, no hustle, no sharp cuts, lazy screens.

Should be easily cleaned up if it's focused on. Need to harp on the players about it.

rochclone

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jan 28, 2009
]

Steve Prohm the first ISU coach to be a #1 ranked team since ISU beat the KU back in 1957
Steve Prohm the first coach to win at KU since LE
Steve Prohm has 7 top 10 wins in his short tenure at ISU
Steve Prohm has brought in 2 top 40 players, and has done a better job than his predecessor of balancing classes. He still looks to bring a transfer or 2, but has placed a greaer emphasis on bringing in high school talent.
The team seems to understand that defense is part of the game, they are in games with a chance to win them.

ISU still loses those head scratchers, but they did under Fred too.

I am all for constructive criticism, I still think his teams run offense very well. If you watch games there always ebbs and flows. I have heard announcers comment team is standing around, this has been said about Duke, Kansas, MSU, and other heavy weights

Funny thing is ISU is top 20 in offensive efficiency and top 25 defensive efficiency.
Dude can coach

Sometimes people are harder on their own I guess

Good post...I think we are harder on our own. I know I am guilty of it.
I think Wayne got a win in Lawrence after LE....Stinson game winner.

CoKane

Oct 26, 2013
Cedar Rapids
Can't we just enjoy the win without going after our fellow fans? It's bad enough when people do it when the team is struggling. Do we have to do it after a big win? The people who acted like a jackass after the last two losses we're either overreacting and feel bad about it now or they are ******** and don't care what you have to say about it. Attacking after a big win accomplishes nothing outside of satisfying your own sense of "told you so". Be the bigger person and let it go.
You've been here since 2011 man. You should know the answer to that

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron