Black Panther

srjclone

Nov 17, 2014
Downtown Minneapolis
It's an awesome service. That said we will see how long it lasts. I have stock in the majority owner of it hmny and they are getting killed. Essentially the shareholders are paying the theaters to reimburse ticket sales..wish I would have done more research on that one...
yeah, I read somewhere that it is a big money suck for them. But I thought I also read that the whole reason they were trying this was to get as much statistical information on heavy-movie goers. Eventually the statistics they compiled would lead to them partnering with companies around the theaters (BWW, Red Robin, etc.) to have them offer promotional deals if you, say, bring your ticket with you or something along those lines. Which is a pretty interesting marketing idea in itself, but how worth it can it be when all you are seeing is red, and alot of it, for that long of a period.

L

LincolnWay187

yeah, I read somewhere that it is a big money suck for them. But I thought I also read that the whole reason they were trying this was to get as much statistical information on heavy-movie goers. Eventually the statistics they compiled would lead to them partnering with companies around the theaters (BWW, Red Robin, etc.) to have them offer promotional deals if you, say, bring your ticket with you or something along those lines. Which is a pretty interesting marketing idea in itself, but how worth it can it be when all you are seeing is red, and alot of it, for that long of a period.
Spot on assessment. they're a data company. They keep issuing more stock to pay for movie Tix causing the stock to just get annihalated.

• Informative
Reactions: srjclone

FOREVERTRUE

Sep 18, 2017
Similar in that it is a made up mineral for a movie, yes.

Vibranium is what Captain America's shield is made out of and is supposed to be pretty much indestructible.

Side note: Unobtainium is a really stupid made up name. Of course beyond the 3D experience, Avatar was a pretty stupid movie.

You do realize that aerospace engineers have been using the term unobtainium long before the movie Avatar came out. As in the perfect material that doesn't exist or is near impossible to obtain.

cyhiphopp

Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
Ankeny
You do realize that aerospace engineers have been using the term unobtainium long before the movie Avatar came out. As in the perfect material that doesn't exist or is near impossible to obtain.

I had heard that. It's still a stupid term to use in a movie.

srjclone

Nov 17, 2014
Downtown Minneapolis
I had heard that. It's still a stupid term to use in a movie.
The description for Unobtanium is pretty spot on with how it is viewed in the movie, so it makes sense to me. Original? No. But its not as if they chose it because they thought it was the coolest sounding.

In fiction, engineering, and thought experiments, unobtainium is any fictional, extremely rare, costly, or impossible material, or device needed to fulfill a given design for a given application.

cyhiphopp

Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
Ankeny
The description for Unobtanium is pretty spot on with how it is viewed in the movie, so it makes sense to me. Original? No. But its not as if they chose it because they thought it was the coolest sounding.

In fiction, engineering, and thought experiments, unobtainium is any fictional, extremely rare, costly, or impossible material, or device needed to fulfill a given design for a given application.

I just thought it was kind of dumb that they used a theoretical term for something they were trying to actually obtain in the movie. I know they were trying to make it sound super rare and hard to obtain, but it just sounded silly. Like they called it "doesntexistium".
It wasn't the worst part of the movie though, so it doesn't bother me that much. I'm more disappointed that it was all just a big Fern Gully rip off.

isu_ce

Oct 14, 2007
I just thought it was kind of dumb that they used a theoretical term for something they were trying to actually obtain in the movie. I know they were trying to make it sound super rare and hard to obtain, but it just sounded silly. Like they called it "doesntexistium".
It wasn't the worst part of the movie though, so it doesn't bother me that much. I'm more disappointed that it was all just a big Fern Gully rip off.

I thought it was more "Dances with Smurfs"

ISUChippewa

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 10, 2006
Did anyone else see it tonight?

I just got back a little while ago from an early showing, and thought it was great. One of the better Marvel "origin" superhero movies in quite a while. Excellent story line, action scenes are top-notch, and the acting is terrific, especially from Micheal B. Jordan as the main villian.

As for the "SJW" aspect that some people seemed to be worried about, I think that aspect is a bit overblown. I didn't come away from the movie feeling guilty about being a white guy or anything (although I am fairly impervious to white liberal guilt). The movie's "blackness", for lack of a better term, is central to the story line and the motivation of the characters, so it would be silly and stupid of the director and script writer to dance around that obvious aspect of the movie, but I didn't feel beaten over the head with it. Just go in with the understanding that it's an African/black Marvel superhero movie and that to expect or demand anything else is a foolish move by you as the viewer.

Two enthusiastic thumbs up from me. Definitely worth seeing in the theater.

cyhiphopp

Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
Ankeny
Nerd alert

Bert beat you to it, and was much more entertaining. I give you 2 thumbs down.

giphy.gif

WhatchaGonnaDo

Jun 28, 2011
Saw it last night and thought it was amazing.

It was refreshing to see actual fight scenes not including huge CGI explosions. Also a superhero movie that didn't rely on 5+ appearances from other superheros.

If you come out of the movie thinking it was just a propaganda piece for POC, you really need to reevaluate your views

coolerifyoudid

Feb 8, 2013
KC
Saw it last night and thought it was amazing.

It was refreshing to see actual fight scenes not including huge CGI explosions. Also a superhero movie that didn't rely on 5+ appearances from other superheros.

If you come out of the movie thinking it was just a propaganda piece for POC, you really need to reevaluate your views

This was my main concern. Glad to hear they did it right.

I've got tickets for tomorrow afternoon. I'm ready to be entertained.

HFCS

Aug 13, 2010
LA LA Land
Did anyone else see it tonight?

I just got back a little while ago from an early showing, and thought it was great. One of the better Marvel "origin" superhero movies in quite a while. Excellent story line, action scenes are top-notch, and the acting is terrific, especially from Micheal B. Jordan as the main villian.

As for the "SJW" aspect that some people seemed to be worried about, I think that aspect is a bit overblown. I didn't come away from the movie feeling guilty about being a white guy or anything (although I am fairly impervious to white liberal guilt). The movie's "blackness", for lack of a better term, is central to the story line and the motivation of the characters, so it would be silly and stupid of the director and script writer to dance around that obvious aspect of the movie, but I didn't feel beaten over the head with it. Just go in with the understanding that it's an African/black Marvel superhero movie and that to expect or demand anything else is a foolish move by you as the viewer.

Two enthusiastic thumbs up from me. Definitely worth seeing in the theater.

You've got to remember that most people who use the term "SJW"...just having a lot of black people or women is enough.

Fox News had to retract a story from its VP last week that claimed the US should kick off the minority and homoxesual athletes who had the best times and results in the world. For that crowd they hate the movie when the cast was announced.

For anyone interested, Black Panther exists in part to fight racism, to not mention racial injustices at all would be to ignore what the character was for decades.

comics-blow-out167.jpg

Panther-Descends.jpg

marvelpremiere52vfsmall.jpg

Black-Panther-vs-The-Klan.jpg

Sigmapolis

Minister of Economy
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 10, 2011
Waukee
Anybody want to tell me how large of a role that Daniel Kaluuya has without spoiling anything? He is a favorite of mine after Sicario and Get Out.

Shawker

This May Not Be Accurate
Jun 19, 2014
Des Moines
Super hero movies aren’t usually my thing but I really enjoyed it tonight. Only negative imo is that I was unimpressed with Michael B Jordan.

Obviously, it’s just personal opinion, but everything I’ve read has praised MBJ’s portrayal of the villain. What were you not impressed with out of curiosity? I haven’t seen it yet.

ISUChippewa

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 10, 2006
Anybody want to tell me how large of a role that Daniel Kaluuya has without spoiling anything? He is a favorite of mine after Sicario and Get Out.

He's in a supporting role that is neither larger nor smaller than the other supporting roles; semi-important character and one that you pay attention to within the storyline, but no more than that.

• Informative
Reactions: Sigmapolis

srjclone

Nov 17, 2014
Downtown Minneapolis
I really didn't like his character by the end of the movie, and that was a testament to him playing his role well, IMO. I thought MBJ's role was well played also. I can see why people would have some problems with it, but I thought his character had a lot of reason to it and thought it fit in well with the story, wasn't forced. Overall I really enjoyed the movie, and I found myself liking the storyline as much, if not more, than the action that was throughout the film.

I felt it started kind slow, but about 30 minutes in there is a twist in the storyline (a bit) and it really picked up from there. Was engulfed the rest of the film. Very well done, and would recommend it.

p.s. - I am now a big time Jabari tribe fan, those guys were awesome haha

State43

Nov 22, 2010
Omaha, NE
You've got to remember that most people who use the term "SJW"...just having a lot of black people or women is enough.

Fox News had to retract a story from its VP last week that claimed the US should kick off the minority and homoxesual athletes who had the best times and results in the world. For that crowd they hate the movie when the cast was announced.

For anyone interested, Black Panther exists in part to fight racism, to not mention racial injustices at all would be to ignore what the character was for decades.
Got a link for this? I use it and have none of those issues. It would be like me saying most people who have a problem with that term are SJWs. I have no issue with the cast being anything, as long as they play the character and that character plays by the same rules as the others. Take starwars for instance, Rogue one had a female lead role and that movie was possibly my favorite star wars movie tbh, but the TLJ forced diversity without good writing to compensate/explain the characters. We were just supposed to except flawed writing for the sake of diversity and it failed imo. Is there people out there like you describe, certainly. But denying there is leftist political agendas in some of these movies where there doesn't need to be is simply wrong.
I have not seen Black Panther yet (Will on Sat) and I hope it's as Whatchagonnado said it was. Marvel hasn't disappointed me since Thor 2 so I am sure I will enjoy it.