Random Thoughts X (The 9th Regeneration)

• After Iowa State won the Big 12, a Cyclone made a wonderful offer to We Will that now increases our match. Now all gifts up to $400,000 between now and the Final 4 will be matched. Please consider giving at We Will Collective.
    This notice can be dismissed using the upper right corner X button.
Status
Not open for further replies.

coolerifyoudid

Feb 8, 2013
KC
radar10.jpg

Yay, outdoor soccer!

Reactions: wxman1

carvers4math

Mar 15, 2012
Just here to rant and rave about, yeah bike riders.

So going into other towns in southern Iowa to hit the farther away cemeteries early for Memorial day and driving on busy street that doesn't have a stop for me but coming to two stop side street intersection. I see these two 20 something guys on bikes coming and know they are going to completely blow through the intersection and run their stop sign. One of them is riding some bike that is pink and looks way to small for him, the other seems to have legit bike. Guy coming other direction has less time to hit brakes because of tree in the yard on his side before the intersection, so his view was obstructed a bit.

So all cars hit brakes but car coming other direction hit dumbass on legit bike. Guy behind me barely avoids hitting me, and same for guy behind him. Quite a bit of damage to the car that hit bike, the guy dented his hood and is laughing about getting hit. All of us have to spend over an hour talking to police.

Driver of car that hit bike tells cop that both bikes ran their stop sign. Dumbass bikers both said they stopped but they didn't and would not have had right of way anyway because it was just a stop on their cross street. Me and two guys behind me both say they blew through the stop and they start arguing. Woman planting flowers in yard then comes up, said they ran the stop sign and that they do it several times a day. Then cop says, that pink bike matches description of one stolen from the school yard.

We finally got to leave but wonder how screwed the driver is. Bike riders don't exactly have collision insurance. Lying dumbasses.

VeloClone

Jan 19, 2010
Brooklyn Park, MN
Just here to rant and rave about, yeah bike riders.

So going into other towns in southern Iowa to hit the farther away cemeteries early for Memorial day and driving on busy street that doesn't have a stop for me but coming to two stop side street intersection. I see these two 20 something guys on bikes coming and know they are going to completely blow through the intersection and run their stop sign. One of them is riding some bike that is pink and looks way to small for him, the other seems to have legit bike. Guy coming other direction has less time to hit brakes because of tree in the yard on his side before the intersection, so his view was obstructed a bit.

So all cars hit brakes but car coming other direction hit dumbass on legit bike. Guy behind me barely avoids hitting me, and same for guy behind him. Quite a bit of damage to the car that hit bike, the guy dented his hood and is laughing about getting hit. All of us have to spend over an hour talking to police.

Driver of car that hit bike tells cop that both bikes ran their stop sign. Dumbass bikers both said they stopped but they didn't and would not have had right of way anyway because it was just a stop on their cross street. Me and two guys behind me both say they blew through the stop and they start arguing. Woman planting flowers in yard then comes up, said they ran the stop sign and that they do it several times a day. Then cop says, that pink bike matches description of one stolen from the school yard.

We finally got to leave but wonder how screwed the driver is. Bike riders don't exactly have collision insurance. Lying dumbasses.
As a cyclist I get pissed about crap like this. "Lying dumbasses" (I'll use your term as mine is likely to be stonger) like this give all of us cyclists a bad name and get motorists worked up. The last thing the rest of us cyclists want are pissed off people out there with agenda against cyclists and 3,000 pound vehicles.

I'm sorry you had to put up with that.

wxman1

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jul 2, 2008
Cedar Rapids
As a cyclist I get pissed about crap like this. "Lying dumbasses" (I'll use your term as mine is likely to be stonger) like this give all of us cyclists a bad name and get motorists worked up. The last thing the rest of us cyclists want are pissed off people out there with agenda against cyclists and 3,000 pound vehicles.

I'm sorry you had to put up with that.

Agreed. I hate the fact that I am nearly fearful of riding on the street anymore and pick my routes very carefully.

stormchaser2014

Mar 12, 2012
Wisconsin
So they put the girls on one bus and the boys on another. And apparently the Dells wasn't far enough way to go to, which is weird because Six Flags is closer to us than the Dells. Then, the girls' bus went 45 minutes in the wrong direction on the way there.

• Funny
Reactions: jcyclonee and NWICY

wxman1

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jul 2, 2008
Cedar Rapids
So they put the girls on one bus and the boys on another. And apparently the Dells wasn't far enough way to go to, which is weird because Six Flags is closer to us than the Dells. Then, the girls' bus went 45 minutes in the wrong direction on the way there.

MrsWx and I probably ruined it for them on our HS band and choir trip to Disney...

Reactions: Cybirdy

cstrunk

Mar 21, 2006
Longview, TX
Went on a fun little kayaking float trip this afternoon. Luckily we missed all of the showers, as it just started sprinkling when we pulled up to shore at the end. We stopped at a couple of local breweries and tried a couple of beer flights. None of the Oklahoma beer was anything to write home about. I did try a jalapeno beer which was interesting, but nothing I would drink on the regular.

Got back to the cabin and lit the charcoal grill and had chicken, baked potatoes, corn, and green beans for dinner. Man, charcoal sure gives meat a great flavor. I had two plates of food... Whoops.

Everyone else crashed a couple of hours ago. I wasn't going to waste a beautiful evening so I lit a nice campfire and I'm just out here chillin with my dog, Lizzie, again. I hope we can get a decent storm here overnight.

CloneinWDSM

Aug 9, 2013
There's a guy that at the bachelor party that has the exact same voice impediment as Kripke from Big Bang Theory

• Informative
Reactions: NWICY
Status
Not open for further replies.