Hilton's Floor Shaking

cyclone101

Oct 19, 2009
Dez Moinz
I was at the '04 Texas game in the upper deck and it was crazy loud...even up there.
Naz murdering OSU was really loud.
OU comeback was epic.

I missed the Iowa game that Mikey missed those free throws. I had an interview in Columbia, MO that night. Ended up getting offered the internship but the pay was weak. So I said no thanks. Wish I would've said no thanks to the interview and went to the game.

mj4cy

Asst. Regional Manager
Staff member
Mar 28, 2006
Iowa
Old School fans will say 1992 OSU. No complaints here.

For me, the loudest two are Texas 2004 and Iowa 2013.

jsb

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 7, 2008
I was at the 2013 game against Iowa where we trailed pretty much the entire game only to come back and win as Gesell choked away a couple free throws at the end. I just don't quite remember it being as loud as Aaron White described in an interview I read that he did for BCDivide that got posted yesterday. Anyone else remember the floor shaking that night? Here's some highlights below and it doesn't seem that nuts but it's always louder when you're actually there.

It depends on where you are sitting. Always louder close to the floor. I was 3 rows from top that game.

Enough people have said the floor shakes that I believe it.

• Agree
Reactions: ImJustKCClone

CYEATHAWK

Aug 26, 2007
Old School fans will say 1992 OSU. No complaints here.

For me, the loudest two are Texas 2004 and Iowa 2013.
My time was the Grayer years, and as time goes by things get more fuzzy. But from beginning to end, nothing tops the Lafester game....nothing. For just flat out spur of the moment hysteria, the 2013 Iowa game ranks right up there with the others. It's hard to rate because with all, just talking to the person next to you is nearly impossible.

Reactions: mj4cy
D

Deleted member 8507

Probably explains my hearing loss now, I was at '83 Mizzou, '87 Lafester game, '92 OSU and too many others to recount.
And personally, I would go with the Lafester game. That was completely bonkers the whole night.

• Winner
Reactions: bozclone

cycloner29

Dec 17, 2008
Ames
I worked a lot of events in Hilton. Modified tractor pull and AC/DC concert were the loudest events I can remember. The bass and blasts from the cannons during the encore for AC/DC, literally pushed you back as I had to go to the front of the stage before the end of the show and dang it was the weirdest feeling having the sound coming at you as you tried to walk forward.

Being and usher on the floor during Kansas games was also like feeling the ground shake.

• Dislike
Reactions: 9104Griffith

ZZZ

Feb 10, 2013
Ames, IA
This past years game against Baylor got really loud when Donovan hit his three in the corner from Bowie. Probably doesn't compare to any of the "all time" loudest moments, but it was one of those shots where the crowd starts to roar before he even releases it, and you just know it is going in

Cycsk

Year-round tailgater
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 17, 2009
I remember Virginia called a timeout right after to quiet the crowd but it did not work. The noise didn't stop.

Some of my favorite moments are when the crowd takes over and the Hilton czar has to just let it happen.

Some of my least favorite moments are when the crowd is roaring into a timeout called by the other team to stop momentum and the Hilton czar helps him by playing some stupid Jock Jams song.

I love reading and watching these great Hilton moments. Sounds like a summer podcast idea for CW and Blum.

Reactions: NWICY

ImJustKCClone

Ancient Argumentative and Accidental Assassin Ape
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 18, 2013
traipsing thru the treetops
Some of my favorite moments are when the crowd takes over and the Hilton czar has to just let it happen.
Some of my least favorite moments are when the crowd is roaring into a timeout called by the other team to stop momentum and the Hilton czar helps him by playing some stupid Jock Jams song.
Every freaking game this year - under five minutes and the cheerleaders & crowd get a good "Cyclone!" "Power!" chant going...it's gaining momentum and the band would start up the "Cyclone Aerobics". Maddening!

VeloClone

Jan 19, 2010
Brooklyn Park, MN
Every freaking game this year - under five minutes and the cheerleaders & crowd get a good "Cyclone!" "Power!" chant going...it's gaining momentum and the band would start up the "Cyclone Aerobics". Maddening!
My understanding is that it is all prescripted. Each timeout (first full, second full, first 30 second, second 30 second, etc.) is scripted with a particular band song or a canned song or other announcement/crowd participation followed by band or canned music. I could be wrong, but that was my understanding.

There is nothing to say that even if they do something that takes the crowd down a notch people can't work to intentionally crank it back up before play begins again.

theshadow

Apr 19, 2006
My understanding is that it is all prescripted. Each timeout (first full, second full, first 30 second, second 30 second, etc.) is scripted with a particular band song or a canned song or other announcement/crowd participation followed by band or canned music. I could be wrong, but that was my understanding.

Media (full) timeouts are scripted. :30 timeouts are not -- there's no time for announcements/sponsor stuff.