5 guys Burgers

FinalFourCy

Mar 5, 2017
Umm...pretty much every restaurant has hamburgers at a lower price than cheeseburgers. So pretty much every restaurant makes you "pay extra" for cheese.
And if they don't it's most likely because the hamburger has been marked up to create perceived value.

SwampCyclone

May 9, 2016
We have 5 Guys and Smashburger down here in Louisiana/Texas, typically, after they've been open for a year or two they end up closing because they can't compete against the better value Whataburgers (i.e. same quality or better burgers/very consistent/less expensive/more locations) and/or they can't touch our high end burger places like Twisted Roots/Grub Burger Bars/Some of the BBQ Places. The remaining 5 Guys and Smashburger stores down here can't be doing too well or are fortunate enough that there location hasn't been invaded by the better value/quality stores.

• Winner
Reactions: cstrunk

jdoggivjc

Sep 27, 2006
Macomb, MI
How many of you just get a plain burger with cheese and ketchup? The greatness of 5 Guys is in the toppings - bacon, grilled onions and mushrooms, jalapenos, lettuce, mayo, tomatoes, ketchup and mustard. And none of that stuff costs extra, like it would be at many other burger joints. I can make a great hamburger patty at home for way less than B-Bops if you're really concerned about the price.

Also like getting a bacon cheese dog. Those are pretty good as well.

I usually go with a small cajun fries. I think the fries would be better if they cooked them longer.

• Agree
Reactions: 2020cy and Dopey

HFCS

Aug 13, 2010
LA LA Land
Think the OP needs to get out more. If you go to a restaurant and a steak is only a couple dollars more than a 5 guys burger, you probably aren't eating steak.

Also, 5 guys is much cheaper than most new style "Burger Bar" concepts.

The Outback Special cost the same $12-16 or so most would spend at 5 guys. 12 oz sirloin (not the greatest steak in the world but I guarantee as good or better than what 5 Guys grinds up), fries cut fresh daily, and a salad with made from scratch dressing, all fresh ingredients. It's also probably nearly twice the mass.

Agree the burger bar concepts are way overpriced. You should see what the burger bar concepts charge in LA. My wife and I can barely get out under $40 if we both order water, skip drinks and split an order of fries. If we both get beers and sides it's like a $65 ding (so obviously we don't do that but would rather go to a "real" restaurant).

Reactions: Knownothing

capitalcityguy

Jun 14, 2007
Des Moines
The Outback Special cost the same $12-16 or so most would spend at 5 guys. 12 oz sirloin (not the greatest steak in the world but I guarantee as good or better than what 5 Guys grinds up), fries cut fresh daily, and a salad with made from scratch dressing, all fresh ingredients. It's also probably nearly twice the mass.

Agree the burger bar concepts are way overpriced. You should see what the burger bar concepts charge in LA. My wife and I can barely get out under $40 if we both order water, skip drinks and split an order of fries. If we both get beers and sides it's like a $65 ding (so obviously we don't do that but would rather go to a "real" restaurant).

Some good points about Outback but I believe the reality for some (many?) is their end result is a much higher at a sit down restaurant given the added wait time/social time very likely means ordering a drink (or two)....and then you always have the tip.

HFCS

Aug 13, 2010
LA LA Land
Some good points about Outback but I believe the reality for some (many?) is their end result is a much higher at a sit down restaurant given the added wait time/social time very likely means ordering a drink (or two)....and then you always have the tip.

Agreed. Or you go out thinking you're going to order the great value stuff and skip drinks and everyone else you're paying for (family) foils the plan :)

I do get takeout at lots of sit down restaurants in my overpriced neighborhood for the same out the door price as 5 Guys though even if I throw the guy a couple bucks.

Doc

This is it Morty
Aug 6, 2006
Denver
5 guys > bbops. Never understood the obsession with that place

giphy.gif

Farnsworth

Apr 11, 2006
Des Moines, IA
Thread makes me hungry for Smashburger. Haven't had it in awhile, need me some of that with Smashfries!

5 guys is expensive and over-rated. b-bops is great for the timing and price.

capitalcityguy

Jun 14, 2007
Des Moines
Have you been to Hickory Park?

Yes, plenty but is has been awhile (3 yrs?)

I don't know if Smokey D's has burgers either. I suppose they might. Does Famous Dave's?

I tend to order BBQ at BBQ joints, seafood at seafood joints, steak at steakhouses, etc. so that what I focus on with the menu.

I just asked my wife (she lived in Ames for about 7 years before I knew her) if I was crazy for not knowing if Hickory Park had burgers or not. Her response, "sounds like a crime against humanity!"

Last edited: