Who wants the 'Bama job?

• After Iowa State won the Big 12, a Cyclone made a wonderful offer to We Will that now increases our match. Now all gifts up to $400,000 between now and the Final 4 will be matched. Please consider giving at We Will Collective.
    This notice can be dismissed using the upper right corner X button.

cycloneworld

Facebook Knows All
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 20, 2006
Urbandale, IA
The Miami Herald is reporting that Nick Saban was offered the Alabama head coaching position for $5 million a year, and he turned it down. I think the Tide is going to have a hard time finding someone willing to step into the situation there.

http://www.miami.com/mld/miamiherald/sports/16186668.htm

If they have to consistantly win 10 games they may have a hard time. But I'd sign a 3-4 year deal at $5 million and if I get canned, I'm still set for life.

ISU_phoria

Apr 10, 2006
Andover, MN
I don't think anyone should be surprised at that. Nick Saban was at LSU, which today, is a better place to coach than Alabama, IMO.

I'm sure Saban won't want to leave the Dolphins until he accomplishes what he wants to at Miami. Again, IMO.

mt85

Mar 24, 2006
Why on earth is Alabama offering nearly twice the level of the highest paid coaches in college football? This type of offer could be very bad for college football.

seneca4MVP

Nov 14, 2006
Twice the level? Doesn't Ferentz make ~$4mil?

I believe that was with incentives and other endorsements. His yearly salary is not 4 mil

Bama's tradition still makes it a better job than LSU but its a tough place to coach. Fan's expectations are high and they play in the best conference in football.

ISUAlum2002

Apr 11, 2006
Toon Town, IA
Why on earth is Alabama offering nearly twice the level of the highest paid coaches in college football? This type of offer could be very bad for college football.

Probably because its a crap-@ss job. Unrealistic expectations in a very competitive conference.

Just make sure the buyout is freaking loaded.....sign the contract, get canned, and live off the buyout.

9seven

Apr 15, 2006
Indianola/Boone
They are offering that much money cause they want to win. That is how bad they want a good coach. Still is a heck of job, coaching at Alabama. Thought recent years it hasn't been so great!

CyinCo

Mar 24, 2006
Clive, IA
$5 million. If a coach is hired for 5 large, that will reset all expectations leaving ISU even farther behind than before. Lets not hope someone is hired at that level.

AirWalke

Aug 7, 2006
Des Moines
My grandpa living in Birmingham, AL has been sending me newspaper clippings of all the football hoopla going on down there. Even in Birmingham, the whole head coaching change has been the top headline for days. (He and the rest of the family down there get tired of it, being Auburn fans themselves..)

I think we're very fortunate to have the other coaching vacancies be so unappealing. You can bury yourself in unrealistic expectations, or you can come to a school like ISU and make a name for yourself.

mt85

Mar 24, 2006
$5 million. If a coach is hired for 5 large, that will reset all expectations leaving ISU even farther behind than before. Lets not hope someone is hired at that level.

It's a very bad precedent.

cyclonenum1

Nov 30, 2006
This kind of money is offered because a great football coach is worth it!

These programs can net $3 million for each home game they play. You add in bowl revenue, merchandising revenue, sponsorship revenue, radio & tv rights revenue, and donations (both athletic and non-athletic) which all increase when you have a winning team and you can see the impact that a successful coach can have.

On the other hand, a poor coach in today's market should be arrested for robbery at the salary packages out there today.

I firmly believe that coaching is more important in football than any other sport!

Nick Saban is not changing jobs for the money. He is about conquering the next mountain. He's already proved he can win in the SEC and win a National Championship. He wants to prove he can win a Super Bowl now.

Wesley

Apr 12, 2006
Omaha
Probably because its a crap-@ss job. Unrealistic expectations in a very competitive conference.

Just make sure the buyout is freaking loaded.....sign the contract, get canned, and live off the buyout.

You are right. Bear Bryant sabotaged the job. No one can match up to expectations.At $5M, they can go after pro head coaches also.

Have they asked Kirk yet?

Wesley

Apr 12, 2006
Omaha
The New York Yankees of college football. Dollars fly and results are nigh.

Wesley

Apr 12, 2006
Omaha
Alabama has the best recruiting class for defensive tackles according to Rivals. By the way, Texas has the best oline recruit class.

Wesley

Apr 12, 2006
Omaha
Randy Shannnon will be the new Miami U. Thought he might get the Bama job instead. Randy Shannon. The new $3M dollar man?

Here are the Top 100 jucos available/not available:
http://rivals100.rivals.com/viewrank.asp?SID=880&Year=2007&ra_key=1664

7 of top 20 have already committed to Big 12. I guess we do want jucos.

Check out No. 22 Walter Thomas from Mississippi. We want him. Okie State and Miss is looking at him right now. Alex Cook at #18 is considering ISU. Larry Asante at #9 is considering ISU. Woody at No 1 is still in play. Terence Scott at #23 is interested in Troy. #24 is Michael Jordan - thought he was #23. Vuna T is #25 and interested in ISU. Anthony Fein at #27 is interested in ISU. Tonga Tea at #30 has ISU on list. Chris Patterson at #33 is on our list. Three of these are linebackers. Looks like someone has noticed Alvin Bowen and McKenzie and Banks. Looks like someone is pursuing jucos that are rated high. Hmmmm.

Last edited:

Cyclonesrule91

Apr 10, 2006
Waukee
I heard on KXNO this morning that some Alabama station is reporting the Nick Saban deal as $5 million a year guaranteed to either 7 or 10 years, PLUS a $7 million dollar signing bonus. WTF