2016 Rio Summer Olympics

enisthemenace

Dec 5, 2009
Runnells, IA
finishing in last is unacceptable.

You know it. Unbelievable how horrid this team has been in this event since Jamaica busted onto the scene. It's as if they say "If we can't win it, we are going to **** it up every way possible, and we'll blame it on something other than not being able to win anymore".

On a side note, Justin Gatlin drives me crazy. I hope like hell he's done. In my opinion, he's the problem.

• Agree
Reactions: CycloneRulzzz

Antihawk240

May 17, 2012
No they didn't.

That was a major, very costly mental error. The incoming runner has to have the presence of mind, especially when do those sprint Olympic Exchanges. You cant let the runner touch the baton until you get into the exchange zone, You see it often that the incoming runner keeps running until it is a safe exchange. It is Rodgers job to watch the exchange zone.

Gatlin is getting the heat on it, but it was Rodgers mistake. Which was even more unfortunate, because when they interviewed him while watching the replay he even said Gatlin is touching the baton but doesn't have possession of it until he is clearly in the exchange zone. So unfortunately Rodgers didnt even know the rules. In exchange zone handoffs, the baton can not be touched by outgoing runner before the zone starts, then at the other end of zone the outgoing runner must have full alone possession of the baton by exit. Gatlin was touching the baton (but not yet in possession) before the zone started, it wasnt his fault he is running blind and concentrating at gettting to full speed and keeping a straight line. Rodgers needed the presence of mind to not even give him the opportunity to touch it.

boone7247

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 15, 2011
Near the City
That was a major, very costly mental error. The incoming runner has to have the presence of mind, especially when do those sprint Olympic Exchanges. You cant let the runner touch the baton until you get into the exchange zone, You see it often that the incoming runner keeps running until it is a safe exchange. It is Rodgers job to watch the exchange zone.

Gatlin is getting the heat on it, but it was Rodgers mistake. Which was even more unfortunate, because when they interviewed him while watching the replay he even said Gatlin is touching the baton but doesn't have possession of it until he is clearly in the exchange zone. So unfortunately Rodgers didnt even know the rules. In exchange zone handoffs, the baton can not be touched by outgoing runner before the zone starts, then at the other end of zone the outgoing runner must have full alone possession of the baton by exit. Gatlin was touching the baton (but not yet in possession) before the zone started, it wasnt his fault he is running blind and concentrating at gettting to full speed and keeping a straight line. Rodgers needed the presence of mind to not even give him the opportunity to touch it.

Agree to a point. But Gatlin gets some blame for not being in the zone when Rodgers catches him. Rodgers caught him way to early. I get they want Gatlin to have the longer run there and to get him the baton early but realistically you don't want them meshing until the start of the zone for this very reason.

I think they put to much pressure on themselves to beat Bolt and that leads to mental errors. They are appealing they will lose life goes on.

jdoggivjc

Sep 27, 2006
Macomb, MI

I think part of the reason why Gatlin is getting heat is because most of us don't understand the inner-workings of how relays work (and I'm one of them and thanks for explaining it), but I think the other reason is the way he failed to qualify for the 200m finals (basically trying to pull a Usain Bolt as his competitors passed him by). Wasn't Gatlin also the guy that was suspended for a couple of years for PEDs? What I'm saying is Gatlin is an extremely easy scapegoat even if this wasn't his fault.

Reactions: Antihawk240

Antihawk240

May 17, 2012
I think part of the reason why Gatlin is getting heat is because most of us don't understand the inner-workings of how relays work (and I'm one of them and thanks for explaining it), but I think the other reason is the way he failed to qualify for the 200m finals (basically trying to pull a Usain Bolt as his competitors passed him by). Wasn't Gatlin also the guy that was suspended for a couple of years for PEDs? What I'm saying is Gatlin is an extremely easy scapegoat even if this wasn't his fault.

You bet, he is the perfect person to take the heat on this one. The post before you, Boone is absolutely correct, Gatlin probably got a poor jump which caused Rodgers to run up on him. I'm sure they practiced those exchanges over and over and over and nailed them each and every time in practice. But when you know the race has the potential to come down to the wire and Usain Bolt has the baton in his hand for the other team, then toss in the whole Blood Pumping and Nerves ratttling from the event itself, things are not going to go the way they do in practice. Rodgers still needed to have the presence of mind to know A) he might be going faster than normal, B) Gatlin may jump early C) Gatlin may go out faster than normal D) Gatlin may get a bad jump. It is part of the game in sprint relays. Just like a quarterback knowing how many timeouts are left under 2:00 minutes and like a point guard knowing what to do when down by 4 under 1 minute to go.

Help Support Us

Become a patron