REPORT: Bryce Dejean-Jones has died

bawbie

Staff member
Mar 17, 2006
Cedar Rapids, IA
The other BDJ thread has been moved for cleanup or closure. Please use this thread to discuss BDJ specifically. Any discussion of politics or gun control, etc will be removed and bans will be issued. Start a thread in the cave if you need to discuss those topics.

Reactions: carvers4math

ISUChippewa

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 10, 2006
Just a really and depressing story all around...

I'll admit that I wasn't that sad to see BDJ go after his one season, as he seemed to be a disruptive influence on the team both in and out of the locker room, and it seemed like after some adversity hit (i.e. when Jameel moved into the starting line-up, replacing BDJ) that he wasn't the same player, even though he still had his moments.

It is sadly ironic that with all the great players to have played for ISU recently, guys like Royce White, Will Clyburn, Kane, Ejim, etc., that he is the only one (besides Chris Babb) to have made even a minimal impact in the NBA, and I feel that's where the real tragedy lays; he had made it, he had his whole career in front of him, and he lost his life in a truly senseless fashion.

There was a comment in the other thread about how during his senior night back in '15 that the only member of his family to show up was his half-brother. If true, that's really depressing and I think that is a big clue as to why trouble seemed to follow him and why he made the choices he did.

RIP BDJ. May your soul and spirit find the peace that seemed to elude you in life. Thanks for being a Cyclone.

Reactions: harimad

crawfy54

Dec 28, 2006
Ames, Iowa
Out of curiosity I went over to HN to get the hawkeye fan point of view. Expected to see of lot of "set the rivalry aside, this is a tragedy". But, I should have known better. Of course, I also read some pretty deplorable statements made on this forum as well.

ISUChippewa

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 10, 2006
Out of curiosity I went over to HN to get the hawkeye fan point of view. Expected to see of lot of "set the rivalry aside, this is a tragedy". But, I should have known better. Of course, I also read some pretty deplorable statements made on this forum as well.

Yeah...sigh, the number of Cyclone fans behaving like spectacular a**holes in the other thread is very disappointing, even if BDJ wasn't the most sympathetic student-athlete in ISU history.

00clone

Apr 12, 2011
Iowa City area
Yeah...sigh, the number of Cyclone fans behaving like spectacular a**holes in the other thread is very disappointing, even if BDJ wasn't the most sympathetic student-athlete in ISU history.

It really was mainly one who has a history of being an ***hole anyway. It's just that his repeated post after post made it seem like a bunch. Sure, some weren't very sympathetic, but it was mainly one that was over the top dooshy.

ISUChippewa

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 10, 2006
It really was mainly one who has a history of being an ***hole anyway. It's just that his repeated post after post made it seem like a bunch. Sure, some weren't very sympathetic, but it was mainly one that was over the top dooshy.

Yeah, you may be (and hopefully are) right about that. How's the saying go? 10% of the people cause 90% of the problems? I think that's applicable to this message board at times.

carvers4math

Mar 15, 2012

Some will always view him as a scapegoat, but regardless of whether that is fair or not, I am not sure how anyone cannot be saddened by the tragic death of someone so young with a young child.

amishclone

Feb 23, 2014
Went & checked out Pelicans SBNation site this afternoon. Article on BDJ had 13 comments. 13! On the death of a current player! Can you imagine the response on here or WRNL if a current ISU player died like that?

WastedTalent

Oct 22, 2012
Smh. How fitting is it that a BDJ thread gets shut down... Oh well, as polarizing as you were Bryce, you were still one of my favorites. I've always been one to gravitate toward the one that others wanted to hate. RIP BDJ.

ISUCyclones2015

Doesn't wipe standing up
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 19, 2010
Chicago, IL
Went & checked out Pelicans SBNation site this afternoon. Article on BDJ had 13 comments. 13! On the death of a current player! Can you imagine the response on here or WRNL if a current ISU player died like that?

Well the /r/nba Reddit post had about 700 comments. The /r/nolapelicans post had 84. The LSU forum had 120 or so.

Cycsk

Year-round tailgater
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 17, 2009
Too bad all the other posts, including yours 2015, got moved to a locked thread.

jmb

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 12, 2006
The comments by players and coaches speak volumes. Matt, Charlie, and many others is enough for me to know this is a tragedy.

CySmurf

Jul 14, 2011
Mods - please move this thread to the cave so that I can post the things I want to post.

TIA
I think you can still do that GTO regardless if this thread is there or not. I'm interested in your thoughts on this anyway...so I hope to see your post.

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron