REPORT: Bryce Dejean-Jones has died

Discussion in 'Mens Basketball' started by JStanz51, May 28, 2016.

1. isucy86

isucy86 Well-Known Member

Apr 13, 2006
    Extremely high alcohol level and marijuana in blood stream. While possible he was robbed, more likely he: 1) Lost Wallet 2) Got Angry and Tossed Wallet 3) ETC.

Based on entering wrong apartment, pretty obvious BDJ was very impaired and logic doesn't apply.

2. WastedTalent

WastedTalent Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2012
    The article suggests much of his basketball anger came from a lack of effort from his teammates. Assuming that's true, and the rumblings about Fred not forcing McKay to practice, and being very non-chalant about practice, could be what triggered BDJ to erupt at halftime of the UAB game.

That would be a different view point for many Iowa St fans, many of which who had thrown BDJ under the bus for that collapse. Obviously it's still his reaction that may have caused turmoil, but the reasons behind it do matter some.

3. Tre4ISU

Tre4ISU Well-Known Member

Dec 30, 2008
    Ninja
    Estherville
    The NBA.

• Agree Agree x 2
  4. cyclones500

cyclones500 Well-Known Member

Jan 29, 2010
    Male
    writer/editor
    Michigan
    At the time, I thought Hoiberg struck a decent balance. Charges were dropped, so he didn't set an overly harsh punishment. But he gave a 1-game suspension (FH said it was his decision, not a mandate from the school), probably to send a message to BDJ for "behavioral awareness," for lack of better phrase.

I never got the feeling the team turned against him, but I also don't know anything about interpersonal/team chemistry details.

Intriguing segment in a separate part of the article: "He wasn't made for college ... he was always a pro waiting to go pro." Was there a chance he could have made the NBA without staying a final season in college? I don't remember.

• Like Like x 1
  5. jbindm

jbindm Well-Known Member

Dec 2, 2010
    Des Moines
    I don't know if I totally buy that. His halftime meltdown couldn't have helped, but they were unfocused long before then. It's not as if they were kicking ass in the first half. Seems unfair to pin it all on him.

• Agree Agree x 4
  6. Cycsk

Cycsk Well-Known Member

Aug 17, 2009

I haven't heard a single player throw him under the bus. Rather, they have said great things about him and even had a show of support for him with pregame warm-ups this year. Fan seem much more harsh about him than his teammates. Maybe we should pay attention to that.

• Like Like x 1
  7. dinger

dinger Well-Known Member

Apr 20, 2006
    Civil Engineer
    Dallas, TX
    I hadnt thought of it this way but this is a good point. Did Iowa State fail David Irving too? OR did how Iowa State handled that situation help steer the person in the right direction?

8. Cyballzz

Cyballzz Well-Known Member

Feb 1, 2010
    Agree. So much went into that choke job that its unfair to put it all on Bryce. Blowing out to the 10 point lead and going on cruise control. Niang getting 2 fouls in like 30 seconds with 10 minutes left in the 1st half effectively removing him from the game. Just flat out not good enough on offense and our guards got owned on the boards. Fred's health. A multitude of things went wrong or were distractions that day.

BDJ makes for a good scapegoat though.