• Thumbs Up

Votes: 86 62.3%
  • Thumbs Down

Votes: 52 37.7%

• Total voters

RayShimley

Sep 9, 2008
White Bear Lake, MN
I totally agree that Jessica Jones could have been probably about 3 episodes shorter in my mind. I thought it started dragging at about the same point. Easily could have cut some of the Kilgrave support group crap and a few other things. Overall, I just found her weird neighbor lady super annoying and wish she wasn't even in it. As for better than Daredevil, I was at one time leaning towards JJ, but in the end, I'm going to agree that Daredevil was a little better.

Lastly, you talked about the Marvel in-house workings for crossovers and while you are somewhat right, I think you are bit off. Of everything I've read, the structure of Marvel is super complicated and changed some too over time. The way I've read is that there is two separate entities - Marvel Studios (all the movies) and Marvel Television (all the TV including Netflix and ABC series). Kevin Feige heads Marvel Studios and Jeff Loeb heads Marvel Television, and prior to this year, while they were two different divisions, they both reported to the head of Marvel (Perlmutter is head) who then reported to the head of Disney (Disney owns Marvel). Well, it isn't secret that none of the 3 guys really get along even though they are all supposed to coordinate together. Feige has always somewhat looked to Marvel Television as a nussance and doesn't like letting them impact his decisions for his movies nor has he ever really cared for Perlmutter for an array of different reasons. Anyway, just recently, due to Feige's pull, he got the org chart to shift where Marvel Studios (Feige) now reports directly to the head of Disney instead of Marvel even though Marvel Television still reports to Permutter (Marvel). Since this is so recent, it is tough to tell the true effect. Maybe it will help coordination between the two sides and maybe not. All said and done, there has always has been and always will be tension and a rivalry between the two which makes a ton of crossovers more difficult. In general, the TV side wants more crossovers than the movie side is willing to allow.

Yeah I'd agree with that, sounds similar to what I read. Maybe I oversimplified it, but I guess I just lumped AoS in with the movie universe more because there have been at least 3 characters from the movies appear in it (albeit all in Season 1, I believe): Nick Fury, Lady Sif, and of course Phil. Also Season 1 of AOS itself was so closely tied to Captain America 2 (and much less so to Avengers 2). They've definitely gone more on their own path in Seasons 2 and 3 (which was a good thing), but the real interesting question will be to see how the Inhumans movie eventually ties into AoS (Season 5?).

The Netflix shows pretty much operate in complete independence of the movies other than the casual mentions to "the Event in New York" which I guess laid the groundwork for the whole plotline of DD season 1.

RayShimley

Sep 9, 2008
White Bear Lake, MN
Interesting take. I definitely don't consider it my favorite movie, but I still found it fun and entertaining. All said and done, my mind might be a bit shifted around on it since I came in with such low expectations to it and walked out pleasantly surprised. I literally expected it to be garbage, so anything better than garbage made me smile :) and I was smiling.

Yeah I watched Ant-Man on a plane, which is probably the best possible scenario since anything is more entertaining than staring at the back of your seat. I liked it as well.

CloniesForLife

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 22, 2015
Agree with Ant Man. I didn't have much expectations for it so it was surprisingly enjoyable

Triggermv

Jul 16, 2010
Marion, IA
Oh yeah, I never did throw in my new post-Jessica Jones rankings update. If anyone cares, here you go. Feel free to critique.

1. Captain America: The Winter Soldier – Thought this movie had the best drama and best action scenes of all the movies
  2. Marvel’s The Avengers – Iconic way to pull everything together with the best villain in the MCU
  3. Iron Man – Epic way to start the Universe with an unbelievable star for a headliner. Never got into the Iron Monger villain though.
  4. Guardians of the Galaxy – Best space epic since the original Star Wars movies. Also was probably the funniest movie of the MCU so far.
  5. Marvel’s Daredevil: Season 1 – Loved the street-level more-adult-themed tone of this show. Also contains probably the second best villain in the MCU. Being on Netflix is a great way to un-cuff all the normal problems of making a TV show for network viewing.
  6. Ant-Man - Had super-low expectations, but walked away pleasantly surprised. Yet another weak villain, but contained some great comedy with some great actors. Paul Rudd won me over when I once was really skeptical of him.
  7. Captain America: The First Avenger – Epic first-half of the movie with Cap’s origin story, but believe it or not, I found Red Skull a little underdeveloped. Loved the WWII time period aspect of this one.
  8. Marvel's Jessica Jones - Series filled with great actors, great drama, good diversity to what we are used to, and one of the best villains in the MCU (Kilgrave). Series suffered most from having probably 3-4 too many episodes, poor pacing, and not enough ties to the overall MCU.
  9. Iron Man 2 – Many will mock me, but I actually really enjoyed this movie and actually enjoyed it more than Iron Man 3. Make fun of me all you want, but I didn’t think Whiplash was that bad. I think this movie gets unfairly criticized.
  10. Avengers: Age of Ultron – Fun movie, but suffered from too much CGI action, too many characters, and too many storylines.
  11. Thor: The Dark World – Criticize me if you will, but I actually liked this movie and thought it got an unfair bad wrap. I didn’t find Malekith that bad and I actually liked this movie more than the original Thor.
  12. Iron Man 3 – Don’t know what it is, but I just never really got into this one, and it probably had something to do with the big Mandarin villain twist towards the end. Also never really liked Killian either. Again, I surprisingly like Iron Man 2 better
  13. Marvel’s Agents of Shield: Season 2 – Liked the less cheese and more serious tone than the first season. Also, loved the Inhuman’s storyline. Used to hate Skye, but now don’t mind her.
  14. Marvel’s Agent Carter – Loved the period timepiece aspect of this. Great show.
  15. Thor – Don’t know what it is, but I just never got into this storyline or villains as much as the others. Again, I surprisingly liked Thor: Dark World more.
  16. The Incredible Hulk – Good movie, but not great. Never was into Norton for the role, so was glad when the switch was made.
  17. Marvel’s Agents of Shield: Season 1 – Struggled hardcore in the first half-dozen episodes, but then finally picked up when Winter Soldier storyline set in and the cheese started to fade. Overall, ended up really enjoying this.

Triggermv

Jul 16, 2010
Marion, IA
Oh, in case you didn't catch the somewhat latest Marvel news, Daredevil is set to be released March 25th on Netflix, which is earlier than most people expected. Good news for those who need some type of MCU juice to hold them over to Civil War.

http://comicbook.com/2016/01/04/daredevil-season-2-to-debut-march-25th-against-batman-v-superman/

Also, for those of you worried about Civil War and the new Spidey being good, this article should ease your concerns a ton:

http://www.melty.com/captain-americ...s-off-the-charts-awesome-spiderman-a2905.html

For those of you who don't know James Gunn, he was the director of Guardians of the Galaxy and is the opposite of sunshine pumpers. Therefore, I trust him that if he says it is good, it is good. Personally, I had already figured we were pretty safe beings how they have the Russo bros doing it (Capt America: The Winter Soldier directors), and as you can see by my rankings, I really like the Russo bros. However, this really puts to bed completely any worries.

Last edited:

mapnerd

Aug 17, 2006
Ames
I think Civil War is going to be a tough movie for me to watch because I hate to see the infighting. But I'm sure everyone will come together happily like nothing happened for the Infinity Wars, right?

Triggermv

Jul 16, 2010
Marion, IA
I think Civil War is going to be a tough movie for me to watch because I hate to see the infighting. But I'm sure everyone will come together happily like nothing happened for the Infinity Wars, right?

Shoot, the in-fighting is exactly what I'm looking most forward to. After Age of Ultron, frankly, I could use a break from a plot based solely on saving the world. We'll get enough of that again in Infinity Wars. I'm also ready for some more intense drama, character development, and toned down CGI, which were all lacking from Age of Ultron and what the Russo bros are best at.

Last edited:

mapnerd

Aug 17, 2006
Ames
Shoot, the in-fighting is exactly what I'm looking most forward to. After Age of Ultron, frankly, I could use a break from a plot based solely on saving the world. I'm also ready for some more intense drama and character play which was lacking the Age of Ultron and what the Russo bros are best at.

Oh, it's going to be good I imagine. It's just going to suck to have to wait for the next Avengers movie. I'm definitely going to see it in the theater. It's amazing how many characters are going to show up in the film and will be interesting how they handle all of them.

Triggermv

Jul 16, 2010
Marion, IA
Oh, it's going to be good I imagine. It's just going to suck to have to wait for the next Avengers movie. I'm definitely going to see it in the theater. It's amazing how many characters are going to show up in the film and will be interesting how they handle all of them.

Yeah, I'm really happy to see Gunn liked it as I'm ALWAYS gun-shy on the FREQUENT problem of throwing too many characters on the screen with not enough development in comic book movies. It all started for me with the epic debacle of what was "Spider Man 3". That was the first place where I learned that more isn't always better. I still get emo-Spidey nightmares from time to time. Age of Ulton suffered from many of the same things, only wasn't quite so bad as Spidey 3 at balancing them.

Triggermv

Jul 16, 2010
Marion, IA
After watching Jessica Jones lately and seeing the wonderful performance of Kilgrave, I thought it might be fitting to also throw a top 10 MCU villains for me so far too:

1. Loki (Thor/Avengers/Thor:Dark World)
2. The Winter Soldier (Captain America: The Winter Soldier) - likely to turn back to good after removing mind control
3. Kilgrave (Jessica Jones)
4. Wilson Fisk/Kingpin (Daredevil)
5. Red Skull (Captain America: The First Avenger)
6. Alexander Pierce (Captain America: The Winter Soldier)
7. Grant Ward (Agents of Shield)
8. Ultron (Avengers: Age of Ultron)
9. Thunderbolt Ross (The Incredible Hulk)
10. Abomination (The Incredible Hulk)

I really only think it is worth listing my top 10 due to the clear glut of lackluster villains in the MCU so far, and frankly, I really just don't give much of a rip about all the rest. You'll note that I haven't thrown someone like Thanos yet on my list simply because he truly hasn't had much screen time in anything yet. He still remains that big background looming character. Can't say I've been overly impressed with him so far anyway. Hope they improve that character in the future.

Last edited:

CycloneErik

Jan 31, 2008
Jamerica
rememberingdoria.wordpress.com

I don't like the infighting, but I think it will help the Infinity Wars. Instead of coming together happily, there will be all sorts of tension between characters trying to save the universe. It adds some nice complication, then stuff gets blowed up good.

MLawrence

Jan 21, 2010
That was the first place where I learned that more isn't always better. I still get emo-Spidey nightmares from time to time.

How could this give you nightmares?

spider-man-3dance2.gif

Triggermv

Jul 16, 2010
Marion, IA
Little old, but Jessica Jones did get renewed for a second season:

http://www.comicbookmovie.com/fansites/KingPatel/news/?a=130070

For me, it is kind of like meh. Don't get me wrong, I liked the first season of Jessica Jones as a bit of a genre change-up. However, I can't say I loved her character enough to be excited for them doing a second season instead of say introducing another new character. All said and done, I definitely liked Killgrave in the show more than Jessica, so it is definitely hard to get excited for a Killgrave-less Jessica Jones. Oh well though, I'm sure it will turn out good and I'll be just fine with it in the end. One thing I am excited for sure for though is seeing her team up in the Defenders

RayShimley

Sep 9, 2008
White Bear Lake, MN
Little old, but Jessica Jones did get renewed for a second season:

http://www.comicbookmovie.com/fansites/KingPatel/news/?a=130070

For me, it is kind of like meh. Don't get me wrong, I liked the first season of Jessica Jones as a bit of a genre change-up. However, I can't say I loved her character enough to be excited for them doing a second season instead of say introducing another new character. All said and done, I definitely liked Killgrave in the show more than Jessica, so it is definitely hard to get excited for a Killgrave-less Jessica Jones. Oh well though, I'm sure it will turn out good and I'll be just fine with it in the end. One thing I am excited for sure for though is seeing her team up in the Defenders

Don't have a link, but I believe in the same round of news Netflix also confirmed that The Punisher will be getting his own series following Daredevil Season 2.

Like you said, I'm not fiending for more JJ after the first season, but I'll still watch. Got to have something to tide you over between movie releases.

Also really looking forward to Agent Carter starting tonight. I would've moved it up above JJ in my rankings. Just such a well done period show and great characters in Peggy Carter and Jarvis.

Triggermv

Jul 16, 2010
Marion, IA
Don't have a link, but I believe in the same round of news Netflix also confirmed that The Punisher will be getting his own series following Daredevil Season 2.

Like you said, I'm not fiending for more JJ after the first season, but I'll still watch. Got to have something to tide you over between movie releases.

Also really looking forward to Agent Carter starting tonight. I would've moved it up above JJ in my rankings. Just such a well done period show and great characters in Peggy Carter and Jarvis.

Yeah, I'm anxious for Agent Carter as well. Like you said, I love that it is a period piece of that age, which makes for something different. I also really like how it fills in many of the gaps between Captain America: The First Avenger and Iron Man 1, which is oozing with potential. For instance, I loved how they used the first Agent Carter as a way to almost give a Black Widow backstory without necessarily needing to use Black Widow.

As for ranking Agent Carter above Jessica Jones, I see where you are coming from and mostly agree with you to be honest. However, what Jessica Jones has that Agent Carter doesn't is Killgrave and I loved Killgrave. He alone is what gives Jessica Jones the nod for me. Now, I could easily see a Killgrave-less Jessica Jones Season 2 struggling to jump above Agent Carter. However, beings how it will likely be AFTER the defenders, it could be loaded with crossovers that might help it along too.

As for the Punisher getting its own series thing, I think they've done everyone short of simply officially announcing it, but yeah, based on what has come out, it sounds like a done deal. I'm cool with that and that is an example of something I'd rather see than a JJ season 2 if you've got to choose one or the other.

Last edited:

RayShimley

Sep 9, 2008
White Bear Lake, MN
Yeah, I'm anxious for Agent Carter as well. Like you said, I love that it is a period piece of that age, which makes for something different. I also really like how it fills in many of the gaps between Captain America: The First Avenger and Iron Man 1, which is oozing with potential. For instance, I loved how they used the first Agent Carter as a way to almost give a Black Widow backstory without necessarily needing to use Black Widow.

As for ranking Agent Carter above Jessica Jones, I see where you are coming from and mostly agree with you to be honest. However, what Jessica Jones has that Agent Carter doesn't is Killgrave and I loved Killgrave. He alone is what gives Jessica Jones the nod for me. Now, I could easily see a Killgrave-less Jessica Jones Season 2 struggling to jump above Agent Carter. However, beings how it will likely be AFTER the defenders, it could be loaded with crossovers that might help it along too.

As for the Punisher getting its own series thing, I think they've done everyone short of simply officially announcing it, but yeah, based on what has come out, it sounds like a done deal. I'm cool with that and that is an example of something I'd rather see than a JJ season 2 if you've got to choose one or the other.

Yeah that's a good point about Kilgrave, who I also loved. I actually had to think pretty hard to even remember who the major bad guy in Agent Carter Season 1 was! Funny enough Doctor Faustus is pretty similar to Kilgrave. Definitely different in that a lot of Agent Carter was about hashing out the elaborate conspiracy and JJ was completely focused on a single villain.

I'm really interested to see where they're going with the Arnim Zola stinger to end last season and how it ties in to what we know happened to Zola in Winter Soldier.

Rural

Feb 3, 2010
Catch the Captain America thing before Agent Carter?

Jack Kirby did four books a month for years-simply incredible.

Triggermv

Jul 16, 2010
Marion, IA
Catch the Captain America thing before Agent Carter?

Jack Kirby did four books a month for years-simply incredible.

Got the Captain America special recorded so looking forward to watching that sometime today. I'll share my thoughts when I do. With that said, did anyone watch the first episode of Agent Carter? If so, care to share your thoughts?

I didn't simply because I REFUSE to watch ANY series week to week anymore. With Agent Carter, I'm recording it and plan to just catch up by seasons end. The experience is so much better that way. I'm doing the same thing for Agents of Shield Season 3. With that one, I plan to just play catch up right before Civil War gets released.

bos

Legend
Staff member
Apr 10, 2006
I watched the first half of AC, but thought it was very slow moving. Ill finish the rest tonight, hopefully it picks up. I love that time period though and think that show does a great job of capturing the feel.

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron