Coach Matt A to St. Johns

Bigman38

SuperFanatic
Jul 27, 2010
Council Bluffs, IA
Re: Coach Matt A

When ISU won two conference titles in a row with LE, most of his assistants were being lured away to better coaching positions as a result of that success. It happens at every school with consistent success.

What resumes did those asst have? You're living in a dream world, only having ISU asst on your resume isn't good enough to get HC jobs. Asst coaches will leave for other asst jobs at schools that probably aren't as good as ISU. It's a smart career move and says a lot of good things about ISU's program.

CyStalker

Jul 16, 2012
Ankeny

I don't think Matt going to St. John's is a big a chance as some think. He's going to be successful recruiting there. That's pretty much a sure thing. People want to play for Mullin, people want to play in Madison Square Garden, people want to live in NYC -- it will be a lot easier for Matt to recruit there.

Worse case for him is that he maintains a rep as a good recruiter and takes a hit as an in-game coach. And I don't know, but I suspect he's a guy that could always go back to Fred.

I don't question Matt's ability to have success recruiting, but the risk is in HC Mullin. He is an unknown coach and if he doesn't have success coaching, doesn't matter what talent Matt brings in. Look at Ford, Barnes.....much talent, underperformed= loss of job for them and their assistants.

If Mullin has success, it's a great choice. Still say it's risky IMHO.

erikbj

Aug 31, 2006
hiawatha, ia

Enter: Marcus Fizer...........hey Cheick, you can play for the Mayor and one of the most dominant PF's in college basketball has seen.

Al_4_State

Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 27, 2006
Driftless Region
Visit site

Anyone who thought we were getting Diallo is delusional, and I'd say the same even if Matt were staying. I really think we have to attain a higher level of success before one-and-dones actually pull the trigger on ISU.

Cycsk

Year-round tailgater
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 17, 2009

Odd that just a few days ago, we all thought that St. Johns losing in the tournament and firing their coach was going to be good for us in the Diallo sweepstakes. That changed quickly.

Goldfinger

Nov 5, 2009

Meh. If its costs us Cheick then I'm ******. if not, whatever. Hopefully Fred can hire or raise up a stud recruiter to take his place

well that sucks, not that Matt has been successful yet in landing any top recruits, but he has been the contact for many of our underclass targets. Now we start over. Fred has had a change in coaches every spring, that really sucks, IMO. And we never seem to be able to land a "stud recruiter or asst" when we have these openings. We can likely forget about New York recruiting any more, even though the only ones we landed were Tavon Sledge and kerwin Okoro. At least we won't have to worry about Diallo any more.

Laughable is Matt's quote last winter about never leaving Fred even for triple the amount of money.

WesRuby

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 2, 2014

I could really see Marcus Fizer

acgclone

Feb 21, 2007

Odd that just a few days ago, we all thought that St. Johns losing in the tournament and firing their coach was going to be good for us in the Diallo sweepstakes. That changed quickly.

Yep, it's always better to keep average/underachieving coaches. At least there isn't a lot of upside potential.

CloneinWDSM

Aug 9, 2013

Not sure why people think Marcus Fizer would be a good candidate.

ILiftWithRoyce

Feb 6, 2012
Ankeny

well that sucks, not that Matt has been successful yet in landing any top recruits, but he has been the contact for many of our underclass targets. Now we start over. Fred has had a change in coaches every spring, that really sucks, IMO. And we never seem to be able to land a "stud recruiter or asst" when we have these openings. We can likely forget about New York recruiting any more, even though the only ones we landed were Tavon Sledge and kerwin Okoro. At least we won't have to worry about Diallo any more.

Laughable is Matt's quote last winter about never leaving Fred even for triple the amount of money.

I was thinking about this as well. The only thing about this situation that kind of makes me mad. All he needed it turns out to leave Fred was gratification of his fluttery happy feelings for his alma mater.

ontheverge

Sep 14, 2009

I'm sure Mullen just called Matt this morning for the first time and he accepted it on the spot. I mean he couldn't have been lining all this up from California days ago, could he? I'm also sure CW just blindly made this up and go lucky.

I hope they kept his old position open for him because that's about all he is equipped to do. Anybody will be a upgrade and hopefully it's TJ. Why don't you or Chris with all your connections go ask anybody close to the program, currently or in the past what value this guy added other then being from the East coast. Fred liked the guy and took him along. Feel free to post your answers here or PM me. I all ready know the answer.

This was a good day for ISU basketball.

jsb

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 7, 2008

Not sure why people think Marcus Fizer would be a good candidate.

i know. First he would have to obtain his degree. Second, he would have to show interest in Iowa state beyond Twitter.

brentblum

Administrator
Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jul 26, 2007

I hope they kept his old position open for him because that's about all he is equipped to do. Anybody will be a upgrade and hopefully it's TJ. Why don't you or Chris with all your connections go ask anybody close to the program, currently or in the past what value this guy added other then being from the East coast. Fred liked the guy and took him along. Feel free to post your answers here or PM me. I all ready know the answer.

This was a good day for ISU basketball.

Royce White, DeAndre Kane, Jameel McKay...Matt was the lead on all of those guys. They turned out OK.

Nuts4Cy

Mar 21, 2006

I know that Dedric Willoughby applied for the last assistant job. However, I think we go after another top notice recruiter.

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron