Troy Davis

Stewski

Jul 3, 2014
Lawrence
Is this the year Troy Davis makes the College Football HOF. Probably not, but he has to get in some time right?

He played on losing teams, so he didn't win the Heisman. Is this also keeping him out of the HOF? It shouldn't. Heisman is usually best player on best team, but in Davis' case, he was one of the greats at running back in the 90's who even though was on struggling teams put up monster numbers. Numbers that you may never see in college football ever again. Back to back 2,000 yard seasons at Iowa State? He touched the ball like 50 times game, but at a bad football school in Iowa, it is very impressive. What an exciting player to watch.

With names like Ricky Williams, Rahaan Salaam, Keyshawn Johnson, Eric Dickerson, and Ray Lewis(just to name a few) will make it hard for him to get in this year or the next. But if Eric Crouch and Antwan Randle El have a chance to get in, troy Davis should be a shoe-in, right?

BWRhasnoAC

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 10, 2013
Dez Moy Nez
Davis was an incredible college football player. I would love to see him in the hall of fame. He got robbed of the Heisman. Davis was all ISU had. He ran for 378 yards in one game. Every time he touched the ball the stadium would stand up because everyone knew it was only a matter of time before he broke one, two, three, maybe more 20+ yd carries. His burst through the line was next level, and only needed a crease to find light. Too bad he couldn't make it in the NFL. I was cheering for him.

Cyclonepride

Thought Police
Staff member
Apr 11, 2006
A pineapple under the sea
www.oldschoolradical.com
Davis was an incredible college football player. I would love to see him in the hall of fame. He got robbed of the Heisman. Davis was all ISU had. He ran for 378 yards in one game. Every time he touched the ball the stadium would stand up because everyone knew it was only a matter of time before he broke one, two, three, maybe more 20+ yd carries. His burst through the line was next level, and only needed a crease to find light. Too bad he couldn't make it in the NFL. I was cheering for him.

I was there for the 378. It was a video game-like performance. Last touchdown came right at me in the SW corner. That game is my second favorite attended football game behind TT and "The Run".

BWRhasnoAC

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 10, 2013
Dez Moy Nez
I was there for the 378. It was a video game-like performance. Last touchdown came right at me in the SW corner. That game is my second favorite attended football game behind TT and "The Run".

Ya, I was there as well. I had season tickets for both his seasons. What a lucky gift from our neighbors.

Cydar

Apr 2, 2006
[video=youtube;BOkEoA30DLM]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BOkEoA30DLM[/video]

Tornado man

Sep 16, 2007
Ames, IA
Thanks for the video and the memories! Also, our OL really fired off the ball. Loney knew what he was doing...

NWICY

Sep 2, 2012
T.D. was amazing every team knew what was coming and he still got his yards. He deserves to be in the HOF.

nhclone

Nov 20, 2008
Averaged about 32 and 36 carries per game in his 2 big seasons, which makes it even more impressive that he averaged about 5.5 yards per carry for those 2 years.

JP4CY

I'm Mike Jones
Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 19, 2008
Testifying
Seeing that video is great. I forgot how big of an upper body and arms Troy had.

cyrocksmypants

Dec 29, 2008
Washington DC
Some argue he was all we had so he got a ton of carries to get those yards. I argue the other team knew this as well and would put a 9, 10 even sometimes 11 man stack in the box, yet Davis still get his yards.

The other argument I hear is most of his yards came in the second half when he was going against second and third stringers because we were losing by 40. Anybody have any first half versus second half stats? I'd be curious to see those numbers.

theshadow

Apr 19, 2006
The other argument I hear is most of his yards came in the second half when he was going against second and third stringers because we were losing by 40.

I remember that being the Nebraska fan's argument. It was extremely rare for him to be tackled by anyone outside of the opposing defense's 2-deep.

bostrem00

Feb 23, 2009
Des Moines
Deserves it: Yes
Will he get in: No
Why: Too many bigger names on the ballot with professional resumes even though that shouldn't be taken into account.

Rabbuk

Mar 1, 2011
Why did he fizzle out in the NFL? I'm too young to remember him.

Help Support Us

Become a patron