Friday OT - Binge Entertainment

Angie

Tugboats and arson.
Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 27, 2006
IA
Just as a head's up - if anyone wants to do Friday OT threads for a while, I'd be really appreciative. I definitely won't do next week, and may be spotty for a while after.

There are all kinds of "binge" marathons of shows on TV right now (like the Breaking Bad binges), and sometimes radio stations will play several hours' worth of one artist/band (XM did this with Tom Petty on one of their throwback stations recently, but for a week or so).

Are there any shows that you tend to throw on and watch for several hours in a row? Is it because you enjoy them so much, want to zone out, etc.? Same with music - do you ever just listen to a musician/group's catalog in a binge? Who and why?

jbindm

Dec 2, 2010
Des Moines
Last winter I tore through the entire series of Eastbound and Down in a day and a half.

As music goes, my wife and I have a terrible habit of loading up the cd player in her car with six cd's and then leaving them in for months at a time. The last Iron and Wine album was played repeatedly for almost a year. And I'm still not sick of it.

StratCY

Apr 22, 2011
Austin, TX
Trailer Park Boys. Every year around this time, I will plow through every single season and movie on Netflix. I ******* love that show boys!

ruxCYtable

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 29, 2007
Colorado
After years of hearing how great it was, the family and I binge-watched The Big Bang Theory this summer and now we're all hooked and caught up for the new season.

Next we're thinking of watching The Middle because I keep hearing how funny it is.

Personally, I'm starting to watch Family Guy (not appropriate for the kids.) Never watched it.

The Mrs. and I have so many shows we want to binge watch we don't know where to start: Walking Dead, Boardwalk Empire, Downton Abbey....where should we start?

jbindm

Dec 2, 2010
Des Moines
After years of hearing how great it was, the family and I binge-watched The Big Bang Theory this summer and now we're all hooked and caught up for the new season.

Next we're thinking of watching The Middle because I keep hearing how funny it is.

Personally, I'm starting to watch Family Guy (not appropriate for the kids.) Never watched it.

The Mrs. and I have so many shows we want to binge watch we don't know where to start: Walking Dead, Boardwalk Empire, Downton Abbey....where should we start?

I gave up on The Middle towards the end of the first season. I thought it was actually kind of insulting to people from the midwest. But I might just be overly sensitive.

If you like Aaron Sorkin, the Newsroom is a solid bet. It does come off as preachy regarding media criticism, but it's smart and fast paced.

There's five full seasons of Friday Night Lights, and every one of them (with the exception of Season Two when they were trying to save the show from cancellation and taking terrible notes from NBC) is a treasure.

House of Cards is good guilty pleasure viewing, although I've heard many times that the British version was way better.

Oh, and Moone Boy on Hulu is hilarious but there are only twelve episodes out and they're a half hour each. And since it features a cast with heavy Irish accents you have to watch it with subtitles.

Cyientist

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 18, 2013
Ankeny
Weeds
Breaking Bad
30 Rock (especially if it's a Bloody Mary Saturday)

Fitzy

Tracer Bullet
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 8, 2014
La La Land
Anyone watch this show back in the day?

MV5BNjI0NzAyNDQ5N15BMl5BanBnXkFtZTcwNjExNDA3MQ@@._V1_SY317_CR5,0,214,317_AL_.jpg

Cyclonepride

Thought Police
Staff member
Apr 11, 2006
A pineapple under the sea
www.oldschoolradical.com
When we finally caught on to Breaking Bad, it was the last season and we had to start at episode one and watch like crazy to catch up. We started watching the marathon on the very last day at noon to catch up for the final episode. I can't do that with the show any more, as it is so much better as a composite whole, and I don't want to see just a few random episodes.

Other than that, we usually get sucked into the Twilight Zone marathons.

PabloDiablo

Feb 10, 2011
Omaha, NE
Game of Thrones.

I have binge watched this on multiple occasions. I've also binged on Boardwalk Empire, Episodes, Penny Dreadful, Masters of Sex, Dexter (Can you tell I like showtime's lineup :smile:).

I've got all of "the Strain" on my DVR and am going to attempt a Binge on it before too long.

Wesley

Apr 12, 2006
Omaha

Downtown Abbey is a favorite in the WH.

Angie

Tugboats and arson.
Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 27, 2006
IA

I love Downton Abbey, but it can be dry if you try and binge watch it - just the Britishness of it. I really enjoy it, but usually do two episodes a weekend, tops.

Farnsworth

Apr 11, 2006
Des Moines, IA
Maybe it got better and I bailed too soon. Sitcoms typically take a full season or two to really hit their stride.

Which sucks because a lot of times networks won't give them more than a season to prove themselves. Seems like the weaker comedies that are more typical family shows are given more time, while other ones suffer.

I'm thinking The B in Apartment 23 and Trophy Wife. I know there are a few other recent ones but I'm blanking.

PabloDiablo

Feb 10, 2011
Omaha, NE
Which sucks because a lot of times networks won't give them more than a season to prove themselves. Seems like the weaker comedies that are more typical family shows are given more time, while other ones suffer.

I'm thinking The B in Apartment 23 and Trophy Wife. I know there are a few other recent ones but I'm blanking.

You're talking about Happy Endings, right? Absolute tragedy that was cancelled, I wish someone with a longer leash than ABC like FX or Netflix would pick it up. FX could easily pair it with either 'Married' or 'You're the Worst' on Thursday nights, both of which are excellent new shows if you guys haven't checked them out.

CloneinWDSM

Aug 9, 2013
Went through House of Cards and OITNB pretty quickly. Kinda meh on OITNB, but LOVED house of cards and I dislike politics a lot.

Also rewatched all of the New Girls in a few days.
Not binge watching, but real excited for AHS to come out in October.

Bret44

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 8, 2009
Cedar River Valley
TV - BB, GoT, The Walking Dead, Deadwood
Movies - LotR, Star Wars (ALL OF THEM!!)
Books - Harry Potter, if I have a long weekend and nothing to do I might plow through the whole series.