Big 12 POY

• After Iowa State won the Big 12, a Cyclone made a wonderful offer to We Will that now increases our match. Now all gifts up to $400,000 between now and the Final 4 will be matched. Please consider giving at We Will Collective.
    This notice can be dismissed using the upper right corner X button.

WastedTalent

Oct 22, 2012
Ejim Big 12 POY

Close race heading into the final game, but I think it comes down to 3 guys: Ejim, Kane, & Wiggins.

I've been listening to & reading lots of experts/radio guys/writers opinions this week, and I've heard all 3 names as favorites. I guess the most popular, and my pick if I had to choose now, would be Ejim.

But I do believe Saturday's games will have a big impact. If Ejim has another off night and Kane lights it up against Smart, the pre season POY, then I believe Kane becomes the leader. Also if Wiggins comes out and dominates his game, like everyone has been waiting for him to do, then that'll be the lasting memory for the media, and they'll vote him.

If each has their avg games, then I also worry that Ejim & Kane will steal votes from each other, and Wiggins will narrowly win it.

There are also some media guys that think the POY should go to the best player on the best team(KU). Although I'm not even sure if that is Wiggins, he'll get that vote nonetheless.

Thoughts? Other scenarios?b

Last edited:

bos

Legend
Staff member
Apr 10, 2006
Wiggins is great, but Ill be irritated if he wins it.

pourcyne

Feb 19, 2011
Ejim or Kane, or maybe they could split the title.

However, if I had to pick for this year only, it would be Kane.

GO CLONES!

mjhavlo76

Jun 23, 2009
I am extremely partial here. Melvin Ejim! Can't wait for the ovation he will get on Senior day...

Spam

May 21, 2008
Regardless of what happens against OSU, to me, Kane is by far the most deserving. Ejim has scored a ton, but he has been put in those scoring situations incredibly often by Kane. And then Kane has scored his own points too. Not to mention his toughness, leadership etc.

Ejim's been fantastic. But I really think Kane deserves this one.

ISUCubswin

Mar 3, 2011
My Playhouse
Wiggins:

PPG - 16.0
RPG - 5.8
APG - 1.6
SPG - 1.0
TPG - 2.1

Ejim:

PPG - 18.4
RPG - 8.6
APG - 1.8
SPG - 1.2
TPG - 2.4

Other than turning the ball over, statistically, Mel has been the better, more deserving player.

WastedTalent

Oct 22, 2012
Regardless of what happens against OSU, to me, Kane is by far the most deserving. Ejim has scored a ton, but he has been put in those scoring situations incredibly often by Kane. And then Kane has scored his own points too. Not to mention his toughness, leadership etc.

Ejim's been fantastic. But I really think Kane deserves this one.

I agree with your assessment, however I think it helps Ejim that the people voting have followed the Big 12 past years, and since there is no clear cut winner, Ejim winning it is almost like a career achievement instead of just this year.

Lead the league in rebounding last year & scoring this year is impressive.

Doc

This is it Morty
Aug 6, 2006
Denver
Kane. I think the most valuable to their teams are Smart, Staten, and Kane, in that order. Smart and Staten are on teams in the bottom half of the conference though, and Smart missed the games with the suspension, so they're out in my book.

Embiid hasn't played enough minutes in B12 to be worthy in my opinion. I don't think Ejim is the most valuable player on his own team. I think Wiggins gets a little less credit than he deserves, but I would still go with Kane.

2forISU

Oct 8, 2008
Wiggins:

PPG - 16.0
RPG - 5.8
APG - 1.6
SPG - 1.0
TPG - 2.1

Ejim:

PPG - 18.4
RPG - 8.6
APG - 1.8
SPG - 1.2
TPG - 2.4

Other than turning the ball over, statistically, Mel has been the better, more deserving player.
#'s speak for themselves. Ejim should be the POY in Big 12. If not, it's because of what is on the front of the jersey.

Doc

This is it Morty
Aug 6, 2006
Denver
If KU wasn't winning, the media would still have a boner for them, but it wouldn't be positive.

ajk4st8

Mar 27, 2006
Ankeny
I would pick Kane. Putting up one of the most ridiculous stat lines ever. Smart lost it when he hit a fan.

Cyclonin

Feb 18, 2012
Dallas, TX
Have a feeling its Wiggins too. Now if Kane or Ejim go off like crazy on Saturday, then I could see that changing. But hard to deny the fact KU easily won the conference.

brokenloginagain

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jul 25, 2006
if we'd have finished 2nd in the conference, ejim or kane would win it.

i think wiggins will win, don't see them giving it to a guy on team that finished 5th.

hope i'm wrong.

Help Support Us

Become a patron