Direct tv dish

State43

Nov 22, 2010
Omaha, NE
So, it didn't occur to me until the day the roofers showed up that my dish would have to be taken down and put back up. So I call direct tv and they are telling me they won't be able to come over and point it till the 23rd. The roofers put it back up and everything, all they have to do is move it to the right location. ***-holes!
i get like a couple stations but most are dark. Anyone have some advice?

Last edited by a moderator:

Farnsworth

Apr 11, 2006
Des Moines, IA
You can get an app for your phone that finds out where you need to point it. Then you can do it yourself. I know a lot of apartment people who do that as it loves around a lot on your deck if on a tripod.

I've seen the app in use, super easy.

Last edited:

Scott34

Mar 16, 2007
Cedar Rapids
You can get an app for your phone that finds out where you need to point it. Then you can do it yourself. I know a lot of apartment people who do that as it loves around a lot on your deck if on a tripod.

I've seen the app in use, super easy.

Do you know what its called? I have a dish that i'm wanting to use for tailgating. When the time comes, I am going to need to be able to find the right direction for that as well.

capitalcityguy

Jun 14, 2007
Des Moines
Darn...I was hoping this was a DirectTVvsDishvsMediacom thread.

It's been awhile and I'm not sure this topic has been thoroughly vetted yet.

SpartClone

Oct 19, 2006
Try calling a local dealer, they are more apt to come out and help out. I had a guy in Cedar Rapids that I could call when my Dish would get all screwy and he would be there within the day.

Sparkplug

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Oct 9, 2008
Central Iowa
You can direct it yourself. Go to menu, settings, signal strength, then signal meter. Have one person in front of the tv and the other on the roof. Use phone to communicate. Much easier than yelling

State43

Nov 22, 2010
Omaha, NE
You can direct it yourself. Go to menu, settings, signal strength, then signal meter. Have one person in front of the tv and the other on the roof. Use phone to communicate. Much easier than yelling
Does this change in real time or do you have to hit signal meter after each move?

ISUFan22

Apr 11, 2006
Denver, CO
You noted you forgot. So if you had not, you could have easily scheduled it in advance. That doesn't become DirecTV's problem to act on quicker.

As others noted, it's easy to point yourself. You can at least get it close and the tech can refine it when they come later.

acoustimac

Jan 8, 2009
Lamoni, IA
The meter is live. You have to point and let it register first. Its not like you can swing it back and forth and zero in quickly. Most people who tailgate do this all the time. Move it in fairly small increments.

State43

Nov 22, 2010
Omaha, NE
You noted you forgot. So if you had not, you could have easily scheduled it in advance. That doesn't become DirecTV's problem to act on quicker.

As others noted, it's easy to point yourself. You can at least get it close and the tech can refine it when they come later.
Two weeks to adjust a dish is stupid. Forget or not. That isa direct tv problem.
but funny story, a sales guy from COX Communications knocked on my door offering a great deal on a cable package. Might be going back to them in a month or so when the 2 years is up.

yler4cy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 23, 2009
Ankeny, IA
You can go on Directv's website to find out the elevation and azimuth:

Dish Pointer

If you look on the back of your Dish one of them should already be set since the dish worked properly before. Once you find out which one it is, point the other using the compass on your phone if you have that. If not, a smart phone should be able to find it.

I hope this helps.

Scott34 - if you have a HD dish, the one with 3 lnb's you are pretty much screwed. They are really hard to position honestly. I recommend getting a autotunning satellite. You can find them cheap and they are ALOT easier as they point themselves.

TDub641

Sep 19, 2008
Call Directv, ask for customer retention and say you want to cancel. They may or may not get it fixed sooner but they should at least offer $ off your bill or possibly NFL Sunday Ticket.

ISUFan22

Apr 11, 2006
Denver, CO
Two weeks to adjust a dish is stupid. Forget or not. That isa direct tv problem.
but funny story, a sales guy from COX Communications knocked on my door offering a great deal on a cable package. Might be going back to them in a month or so when the 2 years is up.
It's a non-critical service call that isn't due to their hardware failure. That's gonna be standard.

One person's inability to plan does not become another's responsiblty to act.

Again, easy to correct this yourself.

State43

Nov 22, 2010
Omaha, NE
It's a non-critical service call that isn't due to their hardware failure. That's gonna be standard.

One person's inability to plan does not become another's responsiblty to act.

Again, easy to correct this yourself.
you are right, losing a customer is much easier. Keep that business plan smart ***

chuckd4735

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 29, 2006
Indianola
Just cancel your subscription, and then sign back up...they will be out there in a day. They LOVE new subscribers!