• Total voters

Angie

Tugboats and arson.
Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 27, 2006
IA
I would guess so. Trader Joe's does really well, doesn't it, and it's more expensive for different foods? Also, the smaller organic markets do really well.

3TrueFans

Just a Happily Married Man
Sep 10, 2009
Ames
People don't mind paying more for food for some reason, I'm looking at you Hy-Vee.

ianoconnor

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 11, 2007
Johnston
I imagine it'll still be around. A lot of people in DSM have money to throw at 'em.

HFCS

Aug 13, 2010
LA LA Land
The whole foods in wdm opens today. In 5 years will it still be around?

Many people will change their tune about the cost when they taste some of the products. You do pay for it, but they have some amazing quality foods.

A lot of guys will change their tune if they try the butcher and seafood. The "Fareway legend" will drop a few rungs immediately. 8 kinds of sausage made in house daily, aged steaks, chicken that destroys what you get in even high end restaurants, stuff like that will suddenly have people forking over some cash after they try it. I'm sure it will likely be the best seafood in Iowa because it's practically the best seafood you can buy in Chicago outside of restaurant suppliers and one particular public seafood market.

The only thing that's not high priced is if you're already buying health food specific brands like Odwalla, Clif, Kashi, Kind, Back to Nature, etc...those will likely be cheaper than somewhere like Hy Vee.

Cyclones_R_GR8

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Feb 10, 2007
Omaha
The Whole Foods in Omaha at Regency is always full whenever I stop by which is less than 10 times a year.
Judging by the look of most of the employees, I think you have to be a certified "tree hugger" in order to work there.

CycoCyclone

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 6, 2009
Urbandale
yes, it'll be around...may kill the fareway that took the old CompUSA store on University though

TRZA

Mar 4, 2009
West Side of Des Moines
Whole Foods had been studying locations around the Western Suburbs for years before deciding to put this one in WDM. Just across the street in Clive is the highest income neighborhood in the metro. The City of WDM recruited them with incentives to keep and attract "young urban professionals" living in their city. I haven't been, but this location looks a bit smaller than other Whole Foods.

JD720

Jan 3, 2009
Whole Foods had been studying locations around the Western Suburbs for years before deciding to put this one in WDM. Just across the street in Clive is the highest income neighborhood in the metro. The City of WDM recruited them with incentives to keep and attract "young urban professionals" living in their city. I haven't been, but this location looks a bit smaller than other Whole Foods.

I don't see how that is true. It's a nice area, but the housing seems pretty modest. I'd guess most of the houses are in the 200-300k range.

cybsball20

Nov 26, 2006
Des Moines, IA
I don't understand how someone could be a "Young Urban Professional" living in a Suburb.

I probably won't go out there unless they have something I can't find elsewhere. Alot of the local farmers I trust are choosing to exclusively supply Gateway Market and not Whole Foods, so I'll stick with Gateway, who also makes sausage in house which I'm sure blows away anything Whole Foods has.

KnappShack

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 26, 2008
Parts Unknown
If Trader Joe's can make it then Whole Foods will too. WF does have some high quality items. This board seems pretty anti-organic, but WF is worth trying.

I still have no idea how Trader Joe's does well. Two Buck Chuck really enough to keep that place growing? Seems like just a lot of off brand food to me like a higher end Aldi

brianhos

Staff member
Bookie
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 1, 2006
Trenchtown
I would guess so. Trader Joe's does really well, doesn't it, and it's more expensive for different foods? Also, the smaller organic markets do really well.

Trader Joes is cheaper than whole foods from what I have seen.

rebecacy

Jan 31, 2007
I'm certain there are more than enough idiots to keep it up and running.

Angie

Tugboats and arson.
Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 27, 2006
IA
Trader Joes is cheaper than whole foods from what I have seen.

I've never been to either locally - partially because we don't live in DSM. I've stopped at a Whole Foods when travelling and it was the closest store, but have never been in a Trader Joe's.

JP4CY

I'm Mike Jones
Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 19, 2008
Testifying
If Trader Joe's can make it then Whole Foods will too. WF does have some high quality items. This board seems pretty anti-organic, but WF is worth trying.

I still have no idea how Trader Joe's does well. Two Buck Chuck really enough to keep that place growing? Seems like just a lot of off brand food to me like a higher end Aldi

If they are going by that model they will do fine, there are thousands of Aldi's.

Tri4Cy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 4, 2012
Des Moines

Ironically you are correct. The man who started Trader Joe's is the same man who started Aldi's. TJ's seems like a lot of "off brand" products but in reality some of it is manufactured by the companies we know...just branded as TJ's. Their business model is built around the idea that we don't need 5 different types of ketchup etc. So they will make deal's with the producers to buy in massive quantities, label it at TJ or in house brands and then they sell it on their shelves.

3TrueFans

Just a Happily Married Man
Sep 10, 2009
Ames
Reactions: Angie