MESS named OC

DesertClone1

DesertClone
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 6, 2009
Queen Creek, AZ
Yep, i'm ok with it. Knew about it last night actually.
It's all about consistency here folks, and we need that in the worst way here!

jbhtexas

Oct 20, 2006
Arlington, TX
Practically speaking, the offensive needs to add at least 10/ppg for ISU to have a chance at moving up in the Big 12 standings. If one of the CF writers get a chance to interview Messingham, it would be interesting to hear his thoughts on how ISU can achieve that.

mt85

Mar 24, 2006
Yep, i'm ok with it. Knew about it last night actually.
It's all about consistency here folks, and we need that in the worst way here!

Continuity is huge. This hire allows the team to keep building upon the foundation that has been established as opposed to starting over again.

ribsnwhiskey

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Feb 6, 2009
What is with all the sexy references? Makes me wonder about some of you.....

Wally Burnham is NOT SEXY!!!

TXCyclones

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 13, 2011
TX
Someone mentioned this wasn't a sexy hire, but I'm fine with that. I trust Rhoads.

We have a larger pool of money but you also don't want to constantly make outside hires. If you don't promote from within from time to time then what is the incentive for coaches to stick around?

While I understand your point I don't agree. If this guy proves successful he's gone for another school anyway - he won't stick around. So bringing in somebody who's proven is much less of a risk than promoting from within.

Clones21

Jan 20, 2008
Des Moines
Can he be any worse than Herman? I liked Herman, but if Mess can come in and call a better game i'm up for it.

TXCyclones

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 13, 2011
TX
Congrats to coach Messingham.

A little food for thought regarding this hire. Is it possible that Coach Rhoads by hiring from within is signaling that he wants to assert more control over the offensive direction of the program?

Coach Rhoads does allow his coordinators to do their thing, but maybe there wasn't a candidate out there that shared the vision and style that PR was looking for in a coordinator. By hiring from within, maybe coach Rhoads plans to work with Coach Mess in developing an offense that fits his vision.

If this is the case then I have grave concerns. Especially following the Rutgers bowl game. If he wanted to assert control then he either should-have in the bowl game, or he actually DID in the bowl game. Either way there was obviously a lack of vision for that game. I'm still excited about the team's future, but I've got a little anxiety over this call.

mt85

Mar 24, 2006
Practically speaking, the offensive needs to add at least 10/ppg for ISU to have a chance at moving up in the Big 12 standings. If one of the CF writers get a chance to interview Messingham, it would be interesting to hear his thoughts on how ISU can achieve that.

Recruiting, development, teaching and motivating players to execute their assignments. I think fans overestimate the X and of Os of football. Football isn't that complicated.

The most basic plays can be successful if you have the talent and execute them properly.

Recruiting and development take time. We are in the early stages of that part of the process.

FarminCy

Nov 14, 2009
Nowhere and Everywhere
While I understand your point I don't agree. If this guy proves successful he's gone for another school anyway - he won't stick around. So bringing in somebody who's proven is much less of a risk than promoting from within.

Who knows what Mess will do if succesful. And if he's successful enough to be hired away that is good for ISU. And if he is hired away then you promote from within again since the last internal promotion was so succesful.

There are alot of coordinators that are perfectly happy being coordinators for a long time. Is Mess one of them? Only time will tell.

There is no one answer that is more or less risky than the other. The only correct answer is which decision CPR felt was best for the program.

Ficklone02

Apr 11, 2006
City by the Bay
I think a lot of colleges would have liked to have had Wally as a position coach, but not a D Coordinator. That's why he was still at USF, at the age of ? really old. Just my opinion though.
Wally was the D coord of a defensive unit that carried USF to the #2 ranked team in the nation. Tons of teams would have loved to have him as D coord at their schools.

Since he left for ISU have you heard much about USF football?

LegendofRodA

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 15, 2011
Des Moines

This. But even if not 10+ points per game more, just sustain drives longer and deeper into the opponents side of the field. We had far too many drives that started nice this year and ended with no points (just look at the bowl game). And possibly even more that we turned the ball over within the 1st 3 plays.

IMO our offenses duties should be ranked as follows:
1) Score TD
2) Score FG
3) Long drive w/o TO
4) Short drive w/o TO
5) Long drive ending by TO
6) Short drive ending by TO

cyfanatic

Oct 18, 2006
Cedar Rapids, Iowa
Wally was the D coord of a defensive unit that carried USF to the #2 ranked team in the nation. Tons of teams would have loved to have him as D coord at their schools.

Since he left for ISU have you heard much about USF football?

Those statements are very misleading...I love Burnham...but those are not the best arguments to make in his support!

Tre4ISU

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 30, 2008
Estherville
Hold on........wait............timeout. I thought Tony Franklin was without a doubt the next OC. I thought the papers were signed. Was someone out spewing misinformation again?

AArnaud4

Jul 11, 2011
A great hire, I'm sure this has previously been said. Coach Rhoads wouldn't do this if he wasn't 100% sure Mess could get it done. When I played Mess was always the QB's guy to talk to on the sideline when you weren't speaking with Herman on the phones. He is a very knowledgeable coach who has been around some good offenses. In the past years he had great influence on the pass game at Iowa State, this hire makes great sense because Bill Bleil (OL) does such a great job with teaching the run game upfront and also knows a great deal having been around great run offenses. I think what we saw the first 3 years of Herman's tenure is that the Spread offense cannot be executed and learned at a high level, overnight. This year was tough because of how young we were on offense and at times, inconsistent QB play. All in all, a good offense needs time to mature and with all the coaching changes at this university in the past 5-6 years, fans haven't had a chance to see an offense stick together for a long amount of time like other schools display. This is why I think that this offense will be similar in play calls, but however giving these young talented players that we have another year to familiarize themselves in a system that has won games, is essential!

Reactions: CY ST8T

Ficklone02

Apr 11, 2006
City by the Bay
Where this hire worries me is Rhoads seems like he is very close to Mess. What if it doesn't work out? I hope we don't see a McCarney situation where we stick with an unsuccessfull assistant coach out of loyalty to the point where it runs our program into the ground. I know thats a morbid thought, I hope this works out.