MESS named OC

cybsball20

Nov 26, 2006
Des Moines, IA
I guess I just don't get it... I could see promoting from within if the offense was lighting the world on fire, but it wasn't. In fact, the offense was down right bad. So, was Messingham's input not being taken into account by Herman? Also looked back at Missouri State's one season with Messingham at OC, not exactly something that gets you excited.

Reactions: cyhiphopp

cyhiphopp

Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
Ankeny
So will Mess still coach WR as well as OC and we go get a QB coach or does he switch positions?

I'm hoping we go out and get a dedicated QB coach and keep Mess on the WRs.

EDIT: Flander beat me to it.

Last edited:

UNIGuy4Cy

Nov 11, 2009
So will Mess still coach WR as well as OC and we go get a QB coach or does he switch positions?

I'm hoping we go out and get a dedicated QB coach and keep Mess on the WRs.
Says in the article he will be the qb coach. I would rather have a specific qb coach.

acgclone

Feb 21, 2007
I guess I just don't get it... I could see promoting from within if the offense was lighting the world on fire, but it wasn't. In fact, the offense was down right bad. So, was Messingham's input not being taken into account by Herman? Also looked back at Missouri State's one season with Messingham at OC, not exactly something that gets you excited.

You can't hold a position coach responsible for the offense's performance when he wasn't the guy in charge.

The bottom line is that it doesn't have to get you or I excited. This hire just has to produce on the field. CPR has worked around a lot of different coaches between ISU (the first time), Pitt and Auburn, so it's not like he hasn't seen what a good coach looks like.

He has also worked around Messingham now at ISU and if he has confidence in him, then it's probably a safer hire than going outside the program. CPR's compensation, longevity and appeal to other schools, not to mention winning versus losing, will rest greatly on Messingham's shoulders, and CPR knows that. That is why I would take comfort in his decision.

Cybyassociation

Mar 5, 2008
Wasn't he the WR coach only 1 year? (maybe 2) But if you look at the younger guys they have a lot of upside.

Also, he has been the head special teams coach who implemented alot of the "innovative fakes and surprise kicks" so I am anxious to see what tweeks he makes to the offense.

Pretty sure this was Rhoads. Grant told me once that Rhoads loves trick plays and is always coming up with new ones. I could be wrong, but I'm pretty sure thats who is in charge of those. Messingham really doesnt work with the kickers a whole lot, Schwartz does a lot of that.

Freebird

Apr 11, 2006
So if some of you were told a week ago that we were going to hire a successful position coach from a BCS conference school that has extensive experience in the system ISU runs, has roots in Iowa, and has been an OC as well as a head coach at the college level would you have signed up for it?
I would have, and that is who we hired.

mt85

Mar 24, 2006
Congrats to coach Messingham.

A little food for thought regarding this hire. Is it possible that Coach Rhoads by hiring from within is signaling that he wants to assert more control over the offensive direction of the program?

Coach Rhoads does allow his coordinators to do their thing, but maybe there wasn't a candidate out there that shared the vision and style that PR was looking for in a coordinator. By hiring from within, maybe coach Rhoads plans to work with Coach Mess in developing an offense that fits his vision.

ca4cy

Dec 6, 2009
North Central IA
So if some of you were told a week ago that we were going to hire a successful position coach from a BCS conference school that has extensive experience in the system ISU runs, has roots in Iowa, and has been an OC as well as a head coach at the college level would you have signed up for it?

This.

cybsball20

Nov 26, 2006
Des Moines, IA

What if that OC expereince was one year at a 1-AA school that went 4-7 and averaged 24 ppg, had a leading rusher under 700 yards and a Qb that completed about 55% of his passes?

Reactions: CP44

mustangcy

Apr 11, 2006
Bloomfield
Just take a look at our Special Teams....coach Mess was in charge of that. Enough said..I'm sold. Great hire. The guy is a great teacher and coach. I think people get so wound up over who is 'innovative' or who is some kind of offensive genius...we just need an OC who can teach players the game. Who can drive home to a player exactly where they are supposed to be and how to get their job down. It's not all about masterfull play calling...it's about teaching the game. CPR understands this and made the right hire.

UNIGuy4Cy

Nov 11, 2009
1 think this does is provide stability, when is Coach Burnham taking his next defensive coaching job? How about Coach Mess? Both will be solid contributors with a small chance of leaving like Herman.

CP44

Nov 27, 2006
What if that OC expereince was one year at a 1-AA school that went 4-7 and averaged 24 ppg, had a leading rusher under 700 yards and a Qb that completed about 55% of his passes?

I see your point but it was only 1 year. Herman's offenses were averaging less than that in year 3

Some situations just are not good situations and I don't know enough about his there to comment. That being said, he seems to have proven himself here.

Plus, he seems to get a long with Rhoads better than Herman did.

ISUonthemove

Jan 31, 2007
Altoona

I'd say, what did that school's offense look like before he was there? Did they improve? I'm just asking, I seriously don't know? Maybe they were moving from one system to another? Maybe they graduated a lot of skilled position players the year before?

ISUonthemove

Jan 31, 2007
Altoona
I would say Wally was a pretty sexy hire, just maybe on the "Cougar" side of sexy...

I think a lot of colleges would have liked to have had Wally as a position coach, but not a D Coordinator. That's why he was still at USF, at the age of ? really old. Just my opinion though.

Mr Janny

Welcome to the Office of Secret Intelligence
Staff member
Bookie
SuperFanatic
Mar 27, 2006
I would say Wally was a pretty sexy hire, just maybe on the "Cougar" side of sexy...

and more toward the Helen Mirren side of "cougar," at that.

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron