Austin Alburtis

UNIGuy4Cy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 11, 2009
Is he still on the team? Somebody was posting on here two weeks ago that he left, I have not see anything since and have been checking Cyclones.com. Dont know if it was some he said/she said crap or if this guy knew something we didnt? Just making sure he still a Cyclone.

Istate

Jul 15, 2008
Re: When

I doubt you will. If he leaves the team, I bet it will be as simple as his name being on the roster one day and gone the next.
If this is true, I imagine this will not be known until the first pc this fall at the start of camp. I guess I'd rather lose him than one of our starters on the OL, but we don't have alot of depth on either side and can afford to lose no more.

UNIGuy4Cy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 11, 2009
A defensive minded coach and we can't keep or recruit on the dline :wideeyed:

cyhiphopp

Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
Ankeny
A defensive minded coach and we can't keep or recruit on the dline :wideeyed:

Let's not start throwing blame around yet.

Situations like this happen at most major schools. Unfortunately it is happening at a position where we are thin to begin with.

The recruiting aspect is something that will take time. D-Line is propable the most difficult position group to recruit. There are not a ton of high school kids that can play Big12 D-Line out of High School and finding quility during the short recruiting period they had would have been tough. On top of that, ISU doesn't exactly have a lot of recruiting clout, so we end up behind the eight ball more than our Big12 peers.

Give the staff some time to work on the D-Line. It may take some time, but I think it will work out.

CloneIce

Apr 11, 2006

This.

and to the person commenting about depth, how much worse could the line be than it was last season?

Well, considering we lost our best DE (Lyle) and best DT (Frere), it could be significantly worse. I don't think it will be, but it is a possibility.

IcSyU

Nov 27, 2007
Rochester, MN

Well, considering we lost our best DE (Lyle) and best DT (Frere), it could be significantly worse. I don't think it will be, but it is a possibility.
As godawful as our line was last season, I'm not 100% convinced it can get a whole lot worse. Schedule this year is nastier, but I don't think the line can get too much worse.

CyForPresident

Mar 28, 2006
Cornlands of Ayuxwa
With McDonough and Parker finally healthy and Moore coming off redshirt, ISU could actually have a little more talent at DL this season. Still, losing Alburtis hurts. McDonough and Rump are most likely gonna start, but with Alburtis and Bailey Johnson that was a nice 4 man rotation. Jerrod Black or Walter Woods probably moves into that spot on the depth chart now.

Bipolarcy

Oct 27, 2008
What was the issue?

I'm sure if he's decided to quit it's because he's a senior academically and just wanted to move on with his life. Several players for us have done this in the past. Schmelling comes to mind as one of the more recent.

Frak

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 27, 2009
I just don't really understand this one. The guy's a senior, so he's not playing anywhere else. Why not play one more year and take some grad classes? It's not like he wasn't going to play...he was going to be in the rotation.

Cyhart

Aug 15, 2009
Des Moines
I just don't really understand this one. The guy's a senior, so he's not playing anywhere else. Why not play one more year and take some grad classes? It's not like he wasn't going to play...he was going to be in the rotation.

Assuming its true, I dont understand it either. Its not like we are coming off of a
2-10 Chizik year. We are coming off of a rare bowl win. And Rhoads seems to really inspire his players. Enthusiasm has to be as high as its been in some time. I dont get it. Laziness maybe?

Omaha Cy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 1, 2007
www.tecmobowl-vs-rbi.com
Slowing creeping back towards a 25+ recruiting class again next February. Ugh....can't wait for the day when CPR has a full or near full 85 to work with.