Assistant Coach Possibilities Thread

marothisu

Jun 15, 2009
NYC
Re: Reggie Theus mention on HN...

I don't think it's out of the question and my god if it happens i'll be extremely excited. That would be epic.

Our coaching staff could be full of ex NBA players...Hoiberg, Grayer, Theus. LOL..funny stuff. We could be responsible for making the Twolves move after this though :(

CTAClone

Addict
Mar 28, 2006
Amerika

The greatest thing would be if Altman came back to Creighton now.......LOL now that would be Karma..........yes I know it won't happen, but crazier things have transpired

fact is crazier than fiction

How would that be great?

Stay Classy.

MohawkCy88

Oct 12, 2008
TKE house
Re: Michalek as assistant?

What would people think about this if he came to be an assistant?

He would be a good bigs coach and I would imagine he would have recruiting ties in Europe maybe and in Iowa...

I know for a fact he is an assistant coach for one of the better 2A programs in the state...Tri-Center who is always competitive...

I've played against his teams before and I would guarantee it would be an exciting style of play (guards have on-ball pressure..lots of steals)..also he brings a Phil Jackson triangle offense with him...next best thing :jimlad:

I think even if he wasn't an assistant he could have a role on the staff somewhere..

what do ya'll think?

I was hoping Kenny Pratt would get a look

Wesley

Apr 12, 2006
Omaha

Our symbol could be a pack of wolves.
arctic-or-canadian_%7EB12-381003.jpg
Wolves_photos_045-%281212x927%29.jpg

San Francisco Cy

Jun 12, 2008
San Francisco

check out this from wikipedia and pay close attention to the irony of the last two sentences.... Reggie Theus - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Reggie Wayne Theus (born October 13, 1957) is an assistant coach for the Minnesota Timberwolves. He is also an American retired basketball player and the former head coach for the NBA's Sacramento Kings.
He was born in Inglewood, California. Prior to taking over as the Kings' coach Theus coached New Mexico State University's men's basketball team. On March 31, 2005, NMSU hired the 13-year NBA veteran. In just his second year as head coach, Theus led NMSU to their 17th NCAA Tournament, their first tournament appearance since 1999, and coached NMSU to its 14th conference tournament title which earned them an automatic bid into the NCAA tournament. He was also previously an assistant coach for the University of Louisville under Rick Pitino.
In his first season, Theus turned the Aggies from a 6-24 squad in 2004-05 to a 16-14 team in the 2005-06 season – matching the fifth best turn-around for a Division-I men's basketball team. Another achievement by Theus was the recruitment of Herb Pope for the 2007-2008 season, a 5 star recruit in the 2011 collegiate senior class. Pope is from Aliquippa, PA, and was recruited by national powerhouses such as Louisville, Memphis, Pittsburgh, and Texas. However, on the two-year anniversary of Theus' hiring at NMSU, Pope was shot four times at a party, putting a question mark on his temporary future in basketball until it became clear that Pope would be ready to play for his freshman season. Theus was briefly recruited to be the head coach at Creighton University when coach Dana Altman left for the University of Arkansas. However, Altman decided to return to Creighton after several days at Arkansas.

Ummmm, WTF?! I would have to think being shot four times would put a big time question mark on your future of living, much less basketball...

cyman1189

Aug 11, 2008
Akron, OH

tri center... not always competitive. no no no nonononononooooooooooooo..... terrible idea

cyclonenum1

Nov 30, 2006

Not a chance. We need coaches that have college level experience with coaching and recruiting at this point.

I agree...however it appears that we are plenty willing to go with coaches that have no experience coaching/recruiting at this level.

I simply cannot believe how many people are seriously throwing out their favorite ex-player to be on the staff...experience be damned.

Hey, I love these guys as much as anyone...Grayer, Hoiberg, Julius, etc. but we need someone on our bench that has some sort of clue about the DI game...someone not at their first rodeo.

Jeesh.

bringmagicback

Dec 3, 2009
CF Resident Dog Lover

Tri Center runs the Triangle? Why/how? Im no coaching wizzard but I thought the purpose of the triangle was to get a superior "star player" shots and so a team couldnt focus on one player on d. That paired with most or a lot of NBA players cant even figure it out makes me curious as to how that would work w/ the level of players at a school such as this. Not arguing just curious.

CarolinaCy

Apr 18, 2008

Now it has started. Every guy Hoiberg ever played with at Iowa State is now an assistant coach candidate. Assistant coach in 2A? Sign him up!!!!

He has also coached for Harlan once upon a time, and they are a 3A program. Does that make you feel any better about Michalek?

:jimlad:

Wesley

Apr 12, 2006
Omaha
Re: The Perfect Tex Winters for Freddy's staff

Bobby Knight:jimlad: He also does chairs.