Your guide to Saturday Chicago fun

CloneDontCare

Jul 27, 2009
A lot of tourists seem to think Chicago is basically shopping on Michigan Ave and wandering around Navy Pier. It's an option, but there's a lot more.

It'd take forever to string together everything you could do in a day in Chicago, but here's a few helpful links and some of my personal favs.

The Chicago folks on reddit have already done a great job at putting together a great list:
https://www.reddit.com/r/chicago/wiki/activities

You can also search for the 26th on Metromix.com to see 22 pages of possible things/activities, which I did for this link:
http://chicago.metromix.com/browse/events/dates:2016-03-26-to-2016-03-26

Here are some of my favorites, from the perspective of a late 20s guy:
-Lincoln Park Zoo -- free, close to downtown and yay animals
-Second City shows -- sketch comedy, where SNL mines all their talent. Still tickets available for Saturday night, and they will sell out. Highly recommended.
-Gorilla Tango Burlesque shows -- see a Star Wars themed burlesque show
-Headquarters Barcade -- this one has two locations, and overall we have a lot of arcade bars full of old school arcade games
-Architectural Tour -- Ride the Chicago river and learn about the buildings/Chicago history
-Tons of smaller comedy shows / improv / stand up / drinking shows (see Metromix)
-The museums/aquarium are great for families, and I like them in general, but if you're not with kids I wouldn't say they're must see, just a good option
-Escape Rooms -- These are tons of fun. Format is, they usually lock you up in a room with an hour-ish to escape, and you race as a team to solve the real world puzzle. We have a lot of different versions, you'll just have to google "Escape Room Chicago" and find something that isn't sold out

Too hard to go through all the food recos (I mean, everything is so good), but if you find yourself wanting to try Chicago deep dish pizza, going early will save you lots of time (wait list really picks up around 6:30, by 7 it's over an hour everywhere, and I imagine basketball games on won't help with that). My favorites are Pequod's > Lou Malnatis (try "The Lou" even if you think you had vegetarian dishes) >> Gino's East >>>> Uno / Duo >>>>>>>>>>> Giordano's. Most of those have several locations to choose from depending on where you're staying/going.

Anyway just wanted to give people here for the weekend a place to start!

Last edited:

kucyclone

Jan 16, 2008
Seattle
I second the recommendations for Second City and the Architectural Boat Tour (as long as it's nice enough out).

And don't put ketchup on your hot dogs.

CYphyllis

Jun 22, 2010
It's so much simpler than this. If you want to have fun in Chicago follow these directions:

Find a street, walk down said street, head into the first of a dozen bars in view and let the day take you as it will.

CloneDontCare

Jul 27, 2009
It's so much simpler than this. If you want to have fun in Chicago follow these directions:

Find a street, walk down said street, head into the first of a dozen bars in view and let the day take you as it will.

Ha, I like how you make it sound like it's going to be so unpredictable, when really you're just saying "bar crawl all day."

Which is fine, but I wanted to point out some things you can't do in literally any other city.

But speaking of bars, we have lots of awesome breweries with beer you can't get anywhere else, but that also defies your "just wander around" suggestion.

Bret44

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 8, 2009
Cedar River Valley
Boffer,

Is there any type of Brewery tour in Chicago? I know Omaha does something, but I was just wondering if Chicago did as well.

Farnsworth

Apr 11, 2006
Des Moines, IA
Too hard to go through all the food recos (I mean, everything is so good), but if you find yourself wanting to try Chicago deep dish pizza, going early will save you lots of time (wait list really picks up around 6:30, by 7 it's over an hour everywhere, and I imagine basketball games on won't help with that). My favorites are Pequod's > Lou Malnatis (try "The Lou" even if you think you had vegetarian dishes) >> Gino's East >>>> Uno / Duo >>>>>>>>>>> Giordano's. Most of those have several locations to choose from depending on where you're staying/going.

Anyway just wanted to give people here for the weekend a place to start!

I find your Pizza Ranking intriguing. I've had them all on this list besides Pequod's (never heard of it), but will have to try next time we are in Chicago for an extended period of time. This trip will be in and out as I'm staying away from the city.

jcyclonee

Apr 12, 2006
Minneapolis
It's not near United Center but I highly recommend going to the Wiener Circle in Lincoln Park late at night just for the entertainment value.

EIClone

Nov 21, 2011
Solon
In addition to the Lincoln Park Zoo, the Brookfield Zoo is also very good. One of the trains from downtown has a Zoo stop for it.

As far as breweries there are a few. Goose Island, near Wrigley field. Lagunitas is also near the rail line to the Brookfield Zoo at the Harlem stop. Revolution brewing is downtown and has good beer.

here is a link to other breweries in the Chicago area and what you get. http://www.timeout.com/chicago/bars/tours-of-chicago-breweries

Cycsk

Year-round tailgater
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 17, 2009
I second the recommendations for Second City and the Architectural Boat Tour (as long as it's nice enough out).

And don't put ketchup on your hot dogs.

I lived there for 20 years in the 80s and 90s and I don't remember ever being given grief for putting ketchup on my hot dog. It may be only a recent phenomenon to not put ketchup on a Chicago dog.

CloneDontCare

Jul 27, 2009
Do yourselves a big favor and hit The Twisted Spoke for some breakfast and bloodies on Saturday morning. Best fried egg sandwich you'll ever find.

Seriously, Twisted Spoke also has my favorite burger in the city, and we have lots of good burgers. It's INCREDIBLY greasy in the best way possible. I also wouldn't be surprised if they lace it with cocaine.

dmclone

Oct 20, 2006
Did a few days in Chicago in the fall.

Took Uber everywhere and it worked great.
Au Chevel-Probably the best burger I've ever had
Chicago's First Lady architectural river tour was great
The Map Room and Maria's Packaged Goods was probably my favorite bar.

JohnnyAppleseed

Nov 30, 2008
The iO theatre also has great shows. The Shakespeare improv on Saturday night is hilarious and I would highly recommend it. It's also just down the street from the Goose Island Clybourn brewpub (which often has one off beers you can't find elsewhere).

As for the ketchup and hot dog issue. You can get ketchup on hot dogs, just supposedly not on a Chicago style hotdog. That includes the relish, pickle, tomatoes, mustard, and celery salt. I'd probably vouch that ketchup isn't needed for that one.

+1 for Twisted Spoke. There are really, really good brunch and breakfast places in the city.

HFCS

Aug 13, 2010
LA LA Land
I know a lot of you on here are beer and whiskey aficionados. Binny's Beverage Depot in North Ave just north of downtown is the largest liquor store in the U.S., maybe in the world. Goose Island is next door too.

HFCS

Aug 13, 2010
LA LA Land
I find your Pizza Ranking intriguing. I've had them all on this list besides Pequod's (never heard of it), but will have to try next time we are in Chicago for an extended period of time. This trip will be in and out as I'm staying away from the city.

Pequod's is legit. The founder now has his own tiny restaurant (he sold Pequods but the pizza didn't change) in the burbs where he holds his customers to Soup Nazi standards or they are denied service.

jcyclonee

Apr 12, 2006
Minneapolis
I know a lot of you on here are beer and whiskey aficionados. Binny's Beverage Depot in North Ave just north of downtown is the largest liquor store in the U.S., maybe in the world. Goose Island is next door too.
If you sign up for their Binny's Card you can get great deals too.

CloneDontCare

Jul 27, 2009
Boffer,

Is there any type of Brewery tour in Chicago? I know Omaha does something, but I was just wondering if Chicago did as well.

Sorry, missed this.

There are several companies that will take you around to a bunch of breweries. Look in short supply on short notice, though.

http://brewscruisechicago.com/?page_id=12

http://www.chicagobrewbus.com/checking/2016-03-26/

http://www.chicagobeerexperience.com/calendar/

In my experience, the companies don't really guarantee a good "behind the scenes" look, and it's more like a bus that takes you between breweries where you get a super short tour of one. Might be better off just picking a couple breweries and uber/cab/transit between them:

http://chicago.cbslocal.com/top-lists/best-brewery-tours-in-chicago/