**** Your Dad Says

jc4cy

Jun 8, 2015
Iowa
I'm fascinated by general sayings or one-liners our parents taught us. For example:

- when it's hot, my dad likes to say he is "sweating like a wh*re in church" , or "it's hotter than a $2 pistol"
- when I ask an obvious question he responds with "is a frogs a$$ water tight?"
- when we go out to eat with the family and I ask what he is getting, he says "the bill"

These are just a few examples, curious to see what others have come up with.

BoxsterCy

Staff member
Sep 14, 2009
Minnesota
"Watch out for the other guy" was my dad's standard salutation after any visit when I was leaving for a long drive home. Apparently not just to me as someone mentioned it in a eulogy at my dad's funeral. My sister now tells her daughters the same.

And morning dad to sleeping little BoxsterCy (not a morning kid and not a morning adult) "Rise and shine. The sun is in the swamp." Likely maybe an army thing from WWII basic. Throw in him whistling loudly and it was pretty effective and annoying.

Hey, you asked and did not qualify that they had to be cool or funny! :rolleyes:

Reactions: Angie and NWICY

EvilBetty

Sep 7, 2012
If you do something silly my dad will call you a "rumdumb".

I've never heard anyone but him say that.

jc4cy

Jun 8, 2015
Iowa
"Watch out for the other guy" was my dad's standard salutation after any visit when I was leaving for a long drive home. Apparently not just to me as someone mentioned it in a eulogy at my dad's funeral. My sister now tells her daughters the same.

And morning dad to sleeping little BoxsterCy (not a morning kid and not a morning adult) "Rise and shine. The sun is in the swamp." Likely maybe an army thing from WWII basic. Throw in him whistling loudly and it was pretty effective and annoying.

Hey, you asked and did not qualify that they had to be cool or funny! :rolleyes:
Your dad was a little more "PC" than mine in the morning. All through high school he'd occasionally wake me up in the morning by opening the shades and saying "wakey wakey, hands off snakey" haha

cyadict

Aug 4, 2006
Ankeny
Whenever I would buy something that my dad thought was unnecessary he would say, “you need that like I need another hole in my head!” He’s the only person I’ve ever heard say that.

SouthJerseyCy

Sep 6, 2008
Whenever I would buy something that my dad thought was unnecessary he would say, “you need that like I need another hole in my head!” He’s the only person I’ve ever heard say that.

My dad would say this also, but usually in the context of someone (generally my sister) talking about getting a piercing. I guess it makes slightly more sense in that context.

Reactions: Angie

cyson

Jun 24, 2007
My favorite stated in a serious matter of fact tone” The human race is it worth saving?”

urb1

Jan 23, 2010
Urbandale
If I was headed out with friends, he'd say, "If you get home too late, you're going to bed without breakfast."

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron