Young shooting 3Ps next year?

ca4cy

Dec 6, 2009
North Central IA
Did you also say he'd serve us just as well hitting 15-footers?

Yes and it can. They don't have to be mutually exclusive. It all depends on the opposing big and the defense being played. The short corner and the elbow are two of the best places to get open looks against a lot of defenses and a big that can consistently knock down shots from there is a huge asset.

If he's Georges 2.0 and starts hitting 4 or 5 threes a game as a trailer in transition or on pick and pops that's great but we don't need him to do that in order for him to be a big part of our offense. The kid has a nice stroke and I have no doubt he'll knock down some 3's, particularly when certain match ups allow for it. I just don't see it being an integral part of our offensive sets.

Psiclone

Apr 11, 2006
I met with him on Monday. I kind of messed with him at the end. (First), we talked offensively, he's got to make some growth this summer, skill level and scoring around the basket but really just expanding his game. He can make threes, and he'll shoot them next year. (At the end), I said, 'Man, probably should have played you earlier,' and he just laughed.

The above quote is from Coach Prohm in an article/Q&A from Travis Hines http://www.amestrib.com/sports/20170327/mens-basketball-prohm-reflects-on-2016-17

May open things up for a guy like Juiston to drive.

Not surprised as he shot 33% from 3 as a JUNIOR in high school (couldn't find stats for senior year), so I expect his accuracy has improved with two years more of practice.

• Informative
Reactions: isutrevman

clonehenge

Apr 14, 2006
Said this in another thread the other day...I don't see any reason why Young can't be just like Cameron Oliver or Caleb Swanigan...and he's more athletic than Swanigan. He's got a good looking 3 point stroke, if he can become a 35-40% 3 point shooter, look out.

Desiigner

Jul 6, 2016
Said this in another thread the other day...I don't see any reason why Young can't be just like Cameron Oliver or Caleb Swanigan...and he's more athletic than Swanigan. He's got a good looking 3 point stroke, if he can become a 35-40% 3 point shooter, look out.
This is big talk considering he didn't even attempt a 3 pointer this year.... I doubt he'll ever be a 35-40% 3 pointer shooter

cayin

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 11, 2006

he might have more athleticism than Swanigan, but he doesn't have the footwork, post moves, or basketball skills that Swanigan has. He is a good player now, but has a lot of work to do to get his skills up to that level.

mdk2isu

Jan 30, 2013
Not of this World
This is big talk considering he didn't even attempt a 3 pointer this year.... I doubt he'll ever be a 35-40% 3 pointer shooter

7c446676d797b15c89724f900988af4e_wrong-memes-image-memes-at-memes-wrong_520-300.jpeg

http://www.espn.com/mens-college-basketball/player/_/id/4066296/solomon-young

SolarGarlic

Jan 18, 2016

He was 1-3 from three this season. I would put good money on him being at least a 35% shooter in the next two seasons. Watch his high school highlights. He's comfortable shooting from distance. He hit a few 17 footers this season. He just wasn't asked to hit that shot, but if you've paid attention at all, you know he can.

Cynonymous

Aug 14, 2015
he might have more athleticism than Swanigan, but he doesn't have the footwork, post moves, or basketball skills that Swanigan has. He is a good player now, but has a lot of work to do to get his skills up to that level.
can be, not IS

jbindm

Dec 2, 2010
Des Moines

1-3 this year. I don't see how you can project him one way or another at this point. He might never be an outside threat. But from the limited sample size we have he seems to have a decent stroke.

And considering how the game is evolving, it doesn't seem unreasonable to expect a four to eventually shoot 35% from behind the arc, especially as a pick and pop guy getting clean looks.

• Agree
Reactions: clonehenge

Desiigner

Jul 6, 2016
1-3 this year. I don't see how you can project him one way or another at this point. He might never be an outside threat. But from the limited sample size we have he seems to have a decent stroke.

And considering how the game is evolving, it doesn't seem unreasonable to expect a four to eventually shoot 35% from behind the arc, especially as a pick and pop guy getting clean looks.
I think he's more of a traditional big man with a mid range game. I don't expect him to shoot 3's

Cyclonepride

Thought Police
Staff member
Apr 11, 2006
A pineapple under the sea
www.oldschoolradical.com
Oh wow my bad he made 1 3 pointer last year. Remember when everyone on CF thought McKay was going to start shooting 3's

He didn't shoot a lot, but in a couple games in a row, he took that shot (and it wasn't some weird shot clock beater. They looked like a shot he was taking within the offense, and they looked great (nice smooth stroke, good arc).

jbindm

Dec 2, 2010
Des Moines
I guess I don't see the similarities between him and Ejim. I thought SY has great hands. He had a couple tough games, but for the most part if that ball was within 4 feet of his head he got the ball.

To me the similarities pretty much end with both of them being freshman forwards with potential. Melvin was a skinny 6'6 who made his living off the glass and hustle plays at the start of his career. The size and skill development came later. He added something every offseason.

SY came to ISU physically ready to go. At 6'8 and 240 the physical development was already there. And although we didn't see much this year due to all the offensive firepower, I think he may have more refined basketball skills than Melvin did at this point. That's not to say that I think he'll end up being better than Ejim. Melvin worked his ass off to become a great player. We'll see if Solomon has the same drive. If he does, watch out.

Last edited:

srjclone

Nov 17, 2014
Downtown Minneapolis
He needs to do something with his hair. Get a better headband or cut it so he's not fiddling with it all the time.

:jimlad (kinda)
Iowa State NEEDS dreads on the team. I think his hair is part of his persona now. Just the stoic 30 year old man child with dreads and a body like a brick

semi :jimlad

Cynonymous

Aug 14, 2015
You have to remember Monte and Co were having a tough time incorporating all the different guard lineups into the offense and SY was a late addition to the rotation. He wasn't even getting many if any looks on the block let alone pick and rolls. It's not surprising he wasn't looked at to shoot 3's either. He was mostly the cleanup man.

Desiigner

Jul 6, 2016
I hope not. That would be a disappointment. He could be much more dynamic than that.
What's wrong with a traditional big man? How is that a disappointment? I'd love to have a big that can average a double double and has a nice mid range shot. I think you have unrealistic expectations for him, he's not the next KAT or Cousins

Last edited:

acgclone

Feb 21, 2007
I'm fine with him shooting the occasional 3 to help keep defenders honest, but I hope they don't stray too much from the scrappy, bull dog, garbage man role either.

I think he's physically and mentally suited for that.