Young shooting 3Ps next year?

srjclone

Nov 17, 2014
Downtown Minneapolis
What's wrong with a traditional big man? How is that a disappointment? I'd love to have a big that can average a double double and has a nice mid range shot
If we can get Juiston, he would take over that role, kind of like Dustin Hogue did his first year at ISU. I like the posters comparrison of Young and a young Ejim, because I would love to see a Dustin/Ejim 2.0. I think you are selling Solomon's shot short, just because he didn't attempt many this year doesn't mean he cant. He has a very impressive stroke and shooting touch for a guy with his build, and I don't think it is too outrageous to expect him to keep working at that part of his game. If we could get Juiston on campus and have Solomon expanding his shot more regularly having to bring one of their bigs out, that will open up a lot of lanes for guys like DJ, Lindell and Terence(hopefully)

• Agree
Reactions: Cyclonepride

Cynonymous

Aug 14, 2015
Young sets great screens and a natural progression from that is getting the ball on the roll, big to cutter from the top, and of course pick and pop. He'll have to work on his passing, but it is something he's familiar with. Any combo of these causes the defense to have trouble and we use high screens a ton.

Tre4ISU

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 30, 2008
Estherville
Yes and it can. They don't have to be mutually exclusive. It all depends on the opposing big and the defense being played. The short corner and the elbow are two of the best places to get open looks against a lot of defenses and a big that can consistently knock down shots from there is a huge asset.

If he's Georges 2.0 and starts hitting 4 or 5 threes a game as a trailer in transition or on pick and pops that's great but we don't need him to do that in order for him to be a big part of our offense. The kid has a nice stroke and I have no doubt he'll knock down some 3's, particularly when certain match ups allow for it. I just don't see it being an integral part of our offensive sets.

It will have to be next year. We don't have the shooters and he's going to need to take size away from the interior so the guards can try to penetrate. Next years team will likely have to look way different than this years because we don't constantly have 3-4 great shooters out there. There's a difference between having 4 35% shooter and having 3 40% shooter with one slightly under.

Desiigner

Jul 6, 2016
I remember when he talked about it and no one believed it. The coaches weren't talking about it.
There was definitely a thread and people actually thought he was going to shot 3's because of a video he posted on instagram or twitter

• Agree
Reactions: Cydkar

srjclone

Nov 17, 2014
Downtown Minneapolis
Young sets great screens and a natural progression from that is getting the ball on the roll, big to cutter from the top, and of course pick and pop. He'll have to work on his passing, but it is something he's familiar with. Any combo of these causes the defense to have trouble and we use high screens a ton.
I hope he and Lindell become best friends

ca4cy

Dec 6, 2009
North Central IA
It will have to be next year. We don't have the shooters and he's going to need to take size away from the interior so the guards can try to penetrate. Next years team will likely have to look way different than this years because we don't constantly have 3-4 great shooters out there. There's a difference between having 4 35% shooter and having 3 40% shooter with one slightly under.

So are you saying we need to run him sets where he gets "X" three point looks per game in order for our offense to be effective? Sure there may be some games where the match up dictates that will happen, but featuring him as a 3 point shooter game to game? Sorry, I don't see that. I would think most of his looks are going to be pick and pops or trailing on the secondary break. The more you take him away from the rim, the more you take away our best/only returning offensive rebounding threat as well. I don't know if that is a consideration for Prohm next year or not.

Like I said, if he can step out and knock down a couple that's great, but if I'm prioritizing his development for this coming season I put his 3 point game behind him becoming a legit scoring threat down low (not just put backs) with consistent range out to 15' that can hit the occasional 3.

Maybe we're saying the same thing in different ways, but I've seen this narrative play out before. I just don't want people spending the next 7 months propping Solomon up in their heads because they read an article where Prohm said he's a good shooter, and all of a sudden the board is going crazy because he's not averaging 22 and 10 and shooting 60% from deep in December. I'd rather temper expectations for the kid and be pleasantly surprised.

• Agree
Reactions: coolerifyoudid

FinalFourCy

Mar 5, 2017
I think he's more of a traditional big man with a mid range game. I don't expect him to shoot 3's

There was definitely a thread and people actually thought he was going to shot 3's because of a video he posted on instagram or twitter

Prohm just said in an interview that he'll shoot 3Ps next year. This isn't instagram or CF speculation.

FinalFourCy

Mar 5, 2017
So are you saying we need to run him sets where he gets "X" three point looks per game in order for our offense to be effective? Sure there may be some games where the match up dictates that will happen, but featuring him as a 3 point shooter game to game? Sorry, I don't see that. I would think most of his looks are going to be pick and pops or trailing on the secondary break. The more you take him away from the rim, the more you take away our best/only returning offensive rebounding threat as well. I don't know if that is a consideration for Prohm next year or not.

Like I said, if he can step out and knock down a couple that's great, but if I'm prioritizing his development for this coming season I put his 3 point game behind him becoming a legit scoring threat down low (not just put backs) with consistent range out to 15' that can hit the occasional 3.

Maybe we're saying the same thing in different ways, but I've seen this narrative play out before. I just don't want people spending the next 7 months propping Solomon up in their heads because they read an article where Prohm said he's a good shooter, and all of a sudden the board is going crazy because he's not averaging 22 and 10 and shooting 60% from deep in December. I'd rather temper expectations for the kid and be pleasantly surprised.
Please explain how seeing Young's role being a "stretch 5" as one of our 3P shooters as equating to 22 and 10. You've made some silly leaps of logic and conclusions in this thread.

• Agree
Reactions: VeloClone

bosco

Dec 21, 2008
Des Moines
I remember when he talked about it and no one believed it. The coaches weren't talking about it.
It was after one of the games where Solo hit a 18 footer. Prohm specifically was asked about him hitting those shots and he said that is part of Solo's game and is capable of doing it. Which is encouraging.

• Winner
Reactions: srjclone

Tre4ISU

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 30, 2008
Estherville
It was after one of the games where Solo hit a 18 footer. Prohm specifically was asked about him hitting those shots and he said that is part of Solo's game and is capable of doing it. Which is encouraging.

No it was in yesterday's interview with Hines and he said he will be shooting threes next year. This wasn't some extrapolation from a vague comment.

• Agree
Reactions: cyclonefam

Tre4ISU

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 30, 2008
Estherville

The point is that we return one proven shooter. If things go as we would like, we add Juiston and one other shooter. So, best case scenario is that you have 3 guards out there that can shoot, a 4 man that can't and Young. To make Juiston effective, you can't have Young hanging around inside. More specifically, you can't have his defender hanging around inside. The same is true if Babb is your starter. He's most effective going to the hoop. So, Young's guy has to, at times, be out on the perimeter. The best way to do that is to make Young a threat. That doesn't mean he has a shot quota. It means that he has to be a threat. This year, you had everyone on defense stuck to the perimeter because we were a 40% three point shooting team out there. That may not be the case next year.

ca4cy

Dec 6, 2009
North Central IA
Please explain how seeing Young's role being a "stretch 5" as one of our 3P shooters as equating to 22 and 10. You've made some silly leaps of logic and conclusions in this thread.

By all means, please point them out to me. Was it where I said it'd be great if he could shoot a good clip and take a couple 3s a game? Was it where I said I'm excited and think he's going to be a helluva player for us? Was it where I said that there were good looks to be had at the elbow and short corner and a big that could knock them down would be great to have? Was it where I said he'd probably get most of his 3 point looks off pick and pops and in transition, but I didn't see where we need to run sets for him as 3 point shooter for our offense to be effective? Was it where I said I'd rather he first develop his post game (which Prohm also mentions) out to 15' before worrying about developing his perimeter game? Was it where I said he's our best returning offensive rebounder? Was it where I said I hope people temper their expectations on the kid and let him pleasantly surprise us? Boy, you're right. I'm all over the place in this thread. I hope I don't get the banhammer for such stupidity.

The 22 and 10 thing was (I thought pretty obvious) hyperbole, but if you don't think there are people on here that are going to build him up based on Prohm saying he'll shoot some threes, and then tear him down when he doesn't meet THEIR expectations, then you haven't seen how this and other message boards work. The kid is going to be a sophomore and he got about half a season worth of meaningful games during his freshman year. Remember how people on here treated Matt Thomas as a sophomore? There was a large faction that wanted him run out of town by Christmas. Why was that again? Oh yeah, because he was tabbed as a great shooter and he had a hard time meeting the expectation others had for him. Hmm....

jbindm

Dec 2, 2010
Des Moines
What's wrong with a traditional big man? How is that a disappointment? I'd love to have a big that can average a double double and has a nice mid range shot. I think you have unrealistic expectations for him, he's not the next KAT or Cousins

There's nothing wrong with a traditional big man. I think they're becoming an increasingly situational type of player, but there's a place for them. I question whether Prohm has much use for that type of player in his system, but that's arguable.

I just think his ceiling is a little bit higher than a paint clogging big man with range out to fifteen feet. If that's all he ever is at ISU then I'll feel like he didn't reach his potential. He can be a double double threat without parking his butt on the block or in the paint every possession.

I never suggested he's the next NBA unicorn. I do think he has a lot of potential and I suspect that his game is a little more refined and well rounded than his body of work this year might suggest. Time is gonna tell. Even next year we might not know much about him as an offensive threat. If Prohm lands Juiston then Solomon is what, maybe the third scoring option (more likely the fourth) next season? it could be his junior year before we really start to have a good idea of how good he can be.

ca4cy

Dec 6, 2009
North Central IA
The point is that we return one proven shooter. If things go as we would like, we add Juiston and one other shooter. So, best case scenario is that you have 3 guards out there that can shoot, a 4 man that can't and Young. To make Juiston effective, you can't have Young hanging around inside. More specifically, you can't have his defender hanging around inside. The same is true if Babb is your starter. He's most effective going to the hoop. So, Young's guy has to, at times, be out on the perimeter. The best way to do that is to make Young a threat. That doesn't mean he has a shot quota. It means that he has to be a threat. This year, you had everyone on defense stuck to the perimeter because we were a 40% three point shooting team out there. That may not be the case next year.

Fair enough. That's pretty much the same thing I was saying with hoping he could shoot a decent clip and take one or two a game. No doubt there will be times where it would help greatly for Young to draw his defender out and I'm sure there will be sets where that happens. That said, our lack of returning shooters means that him improving his post game and becoming a scoring threat down low also becomes more important, especially if he becomes good enough to draw a double and kick to a cutter or shooter.

FinalFourCy

Mar 5, 2017
Fair enough. That's pretty much the same thing I was saying with hoping he could shoot a decent clip and take one or two a game. No doubt there will be times where it would help greatly for Young to draw his defender out and I'm sure there will be sets where that happens. That said, our lack of returning shooters means that him improving his post game and becoming a scoring threat down low also becomes more important, especially if he becomes good enough to draw a double and kick to a cutter or shooter.
You seem to view Young shooting 3Ps next year as an obstacle to his development in the post. He already has the shot. Like Prohm's quote alludes to, him shooting 3Ps will be part of our offense, and he has the summer to work on other things.

Help Support Us

Become a patron