Why is our passing game hot garbage?

Bipolarcy

Oct 27, 2008
Poor routes, bad throws, and no one is ever open. Same coaches and players from last year. What is going on?

It's pretty simple, really. We don't have very good WRs. We miss Milton more than you think. Teams have caught on to the TE and defend them very well. TEs work best when they come as a surprise, not when they're the main focus of the offense and the defenses know that. That leaves us with one competent WR, Hutchinson, and the defenses know that too.

Steve

Apr 11, 2006
The recruiting misses at the slot position are having a big impact. At least 3 guys come to mind who could be getting some regular rotations if they had stuck around and either developed or been willing to accept a position where they could contribute - Schleker, Glass, and Mitchell. Even hitting on only one of the three would have given the offense another playmaker to utilize.

cyclone1209

Nov 5, 2010
Denver
Jaylin Noel may play early next year as he has serious speed. Milton being hurt sucks right now. He is a great short route option.

Also, I'm ready for Daniel Jackson on the field over Landon Akers, we are in the hunt for the big 12 championship game and he is clearly more talented to my idiot fan eyes.

Clonefan32

Nov 19, 2008
As other's have mentioned, it's a bad combo of receivers that take too long to get open (if they get open at all), a patchwork line, and a quarterback who gets skiddish at the first sign of pressure.

Right now we have two plays-- quick slant to Hutchinson or back shoulder to a TE. That's it.

I'm afraid it may be time to just fully embrace the run game and only occasionally mix in the pass. I'm not sure he should be anywhere above 20-25 attempts per game.

CycloneWanderer

Nov 4, 2007
Wandering
Some shorter route options would likely help when they bring 7 on a passing down. I'm not an expert and I didn't get the opportunity to watch the game though, so I can't really say much other than the passing game wasn't statistically very good this game.

Statefan10

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 20, 2019
Purdy missed a bunch, but the missed fieldgoals were a killer.
Purdy didn't play great, O-line play and route scheme was a huge reason for that though. If Purdy doesn't have any time, our routes have to be quick hitters and we should always have a WR as a safety net on a drag or an out (Jones was big here last year and Milton being injured has hurt us).

Penalties and the chip shot field goal killed us (missing almost a 50 yarder happens from time to time). There were three instances that you absolutely cannot have happen to win those games against good teams.

1. The missed 30+ yard field goal after a huge run play. *That's 3 points missed.*

2. Your All-American tight end dropping a pass that would've gone for at least 25 yards and would've gained momentum. *They went up 10 after that series.*

3. You get the ball down to your opponent's 25 yard line and end up back at the 50 due to sacks, play calling, and a penalty. *Missed opportunity for at least a field goal.*

That's a swing of 9 points, but after all of that, we were still a drop on the hands team away from getting the ball to tie the game. Learn from these mistakes as a team and coaching staff and we'll be in good shape. That's a pretty darn good football team we just lost to.

Statefan10

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 20, 2019
We've been great against zone, and struggle against man. The reason? We have size, but not speed. Need Milton in there (or in his absence, why not use Kene in the slot at times?).
Kene doesn't have great footwork and wouldn't be able to gain separation with his routes due to that. He's incredibly fast and good at running in straight lines with no more than one cut.

• Agree
Reactions: 83cy

dualthreat

Oct 8, 2008
Nice to see we've circled back around to blaming the OL again.

Receivers not getting open? Must be the OL

You know, if more guys at WR would beat 1 on 1 coverage, defenses might have to play another guy or two in the secondary instead of sending 6 or 7 pass rushers every play. Damnit OL the 5 of you need to block 7.

Statefan10

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 20, 2019

You know, if more guys at WR would beat 1 on 1 coverage, defenses might have to play another guy or two in the secondary instead of sending 6 or 7 pass rushers every play. Damnit OL the 5 of you need to block 7.
The O-line played below average but we have to figure out our receiver situation. Has someone figured out if it was the routes themselves, the receiver's inability to create separation or both? Is Brock zoning in too much on the TE's and missing the WR's?

SECyclone

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 29, 2011
Pella

Winner right here

Reactions: Statefan10

madguy30

Nov 15, 2011

Did they have time very often to beat 1 v 1 coverage Saturday?

Even a quick hitting short pass needs time for the QB to step into it for accuracy.

clonehoodie

May 14, 2017
After faking to Breece, Brock has 1.5 seconds to throw.

And it's going to Charlie.

Love that JUMP BALL offense.

madguy30

Nov 15, 2011
As other's have mentioned, it's a bad combo of receivers that take too long to get open (if they get open at all), a patchwork line, and a quarterback who gets skiddish at the first sign of pressure.

Right now we have two plays-- quick slant to Hutchinson or back shoulder to a TE. That's it.

I'm afraid it may be time to just fully embrace the run game and only occasionally mix in the pass. I'm not sure he should be anywhere above 20-25 attempts per game.

Hall hit on the long TD from an outside run but I really thought a race to the sideline downhill was his advantage the other day. Maybe Kene too as it takes less cuts. Obviously can't just do that all the way down field (or can you?) but it may have led to him breaking through enough that OSU would have to ease off their junkyard blitz from anywhere plan.

ISU seemed to try to fight through what OSU was doing instead of trying to force them to adjust.

• Agree
Reactions: Snydes

jbhtexas

Oct 20, 2006
Arlington, TX
ISU seemed to try to fight through what OSU was doing instead of trying to force them to adjust.

This seems to happens more than it should. There is only one guy on the offensive coaching staff that has OC experience before coming to ISU, and that guy is in his first year with the staff and coaching the running backs. Perhaps the play callers don't yet have the experience to draw from to make the correct adjustments. If so, that's not a great situation to be in...

CycloneVet917

Jul 9, 2020
Purdy didn't play great, O-line play and route scheme was a huge reason for that though. If Purdy doesn't have any time, our routes have to be quick hitters and we should always have a WR as a safety net on a drag or an out (Jones was big here last year and Milton being injured has hurt us).

Penalties and the chip shot field goal killed us (missing almost a 50 yarder happens from time to time). There were three instances that you absolutely cannot have happen to win those games against good teams.

1. The missed 30+ yard field goal after a huge run play. *That's 3 points missed.*

2. Your All-American tight end dropping a pass that would've gone for at least 25 yards and would've gained momentum. *They went up 10 after that series.*

3. You get the ball down to your opponent's 25 yard line and end up back at the 50 due to sacks, play calling, and a penalty. *Missed opportunity for at least a field goal.*

That's a swing of 9 points, but after all of that, we were still a drop on the hands team away from getting the ball to tie the game. Learn from these mistakes as a team and coaching staff and we'll be in good shape. That's a pretty darn good football team we just lost to.

I agree, but Purdy missed throws when he did have time, he is the leader of the team and needs to play well.

Clonefan32

Nov 19, 2008

The receivers inability to get open is absolutely making our line's job harder. OSU correctly figured out if they bring pressure they'll get to Brock faster than a receiver can get open just about every time. So it's left to the line to have to sort out all kinds of pressure, which of course is not easy.

Statefan10

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 20, 2019
I agree, but Purdy missed throws when he did have time, he is the leader of the team and needs to play well.
Yep I would certainly agree. I also think outside of X, our wide receivers are struggling to get open, and I'm not sure if that's due to the route scheme, their talent, or the fact that we don't have our best WR out on the field. I think it's honestly a combination of a little bit of everything.

Something I did notice after rewatching.. On 1st and 2nd down, we almost always use a 3 TE look and either hand the ball to Breece or look for a TE. When those two things don't work, we're usually set up with a 3rd and long situation (I think 10 of our 13 3rd downs were longer than 3rd and 6). That's when the defense was either sending the house or they were doing a good job in the secondary due to them knowing exactly what was coming. I think we have to mix it up more. We have to get our WR's going more on 1st and 2nd down imo. I do understand when you have potentially two All Americans at RB and TE, you want to get them the ball, but against good teams, they're going to key in on those guys.

• Agree
Reactions: Neptune78