Why I hate Parents Weekend

Clone5

Jun 3, 2008
Iowa
This thread may take place quite a bit on this messageboard, but every time it is 100% correct. We do have great tailgating, but please show up in time for the band and ISU fights... We have an awesome fight song, but hardly anyone claps for it..... We have 50,000 fans at some games, but it can seem like only 30,000 when we should be loud enough to make it seem like 70,000. We want to go to 'the next level' but fans want to sit back and watch us go to the next level instead of taking initiative and taking our stadium atmosphere to the next level. We're already known for being loud as hell in basketball... but why can't we transplant some Hilton Magic into Jack Trice Stadium on Saturdays? We won't make it to the next level without a little magic, and its not like we havn't made some magic before, so it is about time Cyclone Fans took their noise level to the next level.
It's very simple winning=better stadium atmosphere.

Cyclone15

Aug 21, 2007
Ankeny
It's very simple winning=better stadium atmosphere.

Some fans think it's that simple... I disagree... sitting back hasn't worked... why not try something different ? "3rd down fans"... bring it on 1st and 2nd down ! Kinda like having a receiver that only brings it on 3rd down. Some players give 100% Some wanna sit back and watch and complain.... oh yeah.. arm chairquaterbacks... take a seat at home.

Maybe harsh... but it's true.

Clone5

Jun 3, 2008
Iowa
Some fans think it's that simple... I disagree... sitting back hasn't worked... why not try something different ? "3rd down fans"... bring it on 1st and 2nd down ! Kinda like having a receiver that only brings it on 3rd down. Some players give 100% Some wanna sit back and watch and complain.... oh yeah.. arm chairquaterbacks... take a seat at home.

Maybe harsh... but it's true.
I would much rather have better players than louder fans. Sure louder fans may induce 1 or 2 more penalties each game and make it harder to call plays but its the players that have a real effect on the games. Some people make crowd noise way more important than it is.

Cyclone15

Aug 21, 2007
Ankeny
I would much rather have better players than louder fans. Sure louder fans may induce 1 or 2 more penalties each game and make it harder to call plays but its the players that have a real effect on the games. Some people make crowd noise way more important than it is.

Wow ! That's a mouthful... says a lot... no pun intended....
Well... given the location of Iowa State and our tradition in recruiting... I would believe the atmosphere we (fans) can bring to Jack Trice can influence not only the game, but recruiting. Yeah- our current rate of 1 -2 penalties is about right, why settle for less when more is sitting in the seats already- 50,000 should be able to create a more hostile environment than we currently have. It's quantity versus quality as a previous reply suggested.

Wow ! "more important than it is.."

JordanHXC

Apr 1, 2006
Omaha
i had someone ask me to sit down....once.....it was the last time. no offense to any of you that allow yourself to be bullied at a sporting event, but if you want me to sit down, you're going to have to walk your baby nuts up to my seat and sit me down...

CyAg

May 22, 2006
i had someone ask me to sit down....once.....it was the last time. no offense to any of you that allow yourself to be bullied at a sporting event, but if you want me to sit down, you're going to have to walk your baby nuts up to my seat and sit me down...

Okay, I want to give you the benefit of the doubt, you are saying do not let yourself be bullied, and I know you are not a jerk, but read what you wrote and ask yourself how you sound?

If I just read this post, you sound like the one who is doing the bullying, being argumentative, and unreasonable. You are basically writing come up here and fight me to make me sit down. Is that what you really mean to say?

However, if you did feel that way, in my opinion, this is as bad, if not worse than the person who is always yelling at someone to sit down. I am sure you are not, but based on that post you sound like you would be being a bully and a jerk in that post. (Again, I am sure you are not and this is not a personal attack)

If I were behind you, and you were making it so my family could not see the game and being up 100%, , I would ask you to have some consideration. However, if you seemed as aggressive as you do in that post, I would probably just call security and let them handle it. Do you really want to be acting so agreesive someone is hesitant to even talk with you?

If this were a weekend, this thread would be funny to pop a beer over. Read back through the posts, all those on the non-standing side are not calling for sitting. For the most part they are calling on fans to be loud, up more than down, and be the game.

However they are also talking about being aware of those around you, a little courtesy, and treatment for fellow fans. What are some of the responses from super fans?

-If you do not like it stay home - After the last few years every fan who stands, sits and farts in this stadium deserves respect and no fan should tell another to stay home. Good luck telling Jamie you are a great fan and told the not as great fans who do not want to stand all the time to stay home. I hope he does not have a 2x4 around!!

-I paid it is my right to stand-Sure it is, no argument. But what about the family around you who does not mind you being up, but also want their kids to be able to see, enjoy the game and want to go. Not saying before the game. "I don't want to go again, I cannot see and that guy in front of us wont move or sit down at all. Or, for the fan who has been going to ISU for 50 years and has set patiently through all of Cyclone football.

Does your right to stand, trump all around you at every turn?

-Or, its the fans fault we have lost, too quiet, left to early, not standing enought. You are not on the team, be a fan, not unrealistic. Yes, the crowd and noise can help, but we are not the ones who win or lose the game. We should support the team win or lose, but again, be realistic.

-For the record, I am probably up more than those around me. I also check to see who is in the seats behind me.

-If you are the only one standing and there unhappy people around you, perhaps you need to ask yourself if you can adjust some as well.

For the super fans, I am sorry I cannot reach to your greatness. I will continue to attend games, support the program, stand and sit, even though I and the other 80-90% of the fans are not worthy to be there with you.

Off soap box

Cydkar

Apr 12, 2006
The Jack isn't loud because we have a tradition of losing. Start winning and keep winning and it will change.

isuno1fan

Mar 30, 2006
Clive, Iowa

and DSM > Omaha....

Couldn't resist :biglaugh:

SC Cy

Jun 30, 2006
Omaha, NE
twitter.com
I've had season tickets in Section 20 for nine seasons. We are 14 rows up and at about the 3 yard line. I had the opportunity to upgrade my seats to Section 23, 12th row...about the 35 yard line. I declined because I sit with a great group of people and we stand for 95% of the game. I've never (at Jack Trice anyway) been told to sit. I feared that I couldn't be as boisterous and in to the game had I moved towards the middle of the field.

JordanHXC

Apr 1, 2006
Omaha
and DSM > Omaha....

Couldn't resist :biglaugh:

strangely, i applaud your sense of humor. it seems to be lacking on this site, and you sir, have excellent timing...

and for the gentlman that posted a copy of war and peace...be a good fan, stand up, dry your eyes, and make some noise.....

weR138

Feb 20, 2008

That's because you're a straight bad***. I can tell from your tatoos.

Tell me, when someone asked you to sit down did you sweat on them to death or microphone growl them to death?

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: Angie and dustinal

Al_4_State

Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 27, 2006
Driftless Region
Visit site
That's because you're a straight bad***. I can tell from your tatoos.

Tell me, when someone asked you to sit down did you sweat on them to death or microphone growl them to death?

He proceeded to scream "DES MOINES ******* SUCKS" in his best Durst-growl. Since that day, he has been allowed to stand at all times.

CyAg

May 22, 2006
and for the gentlman that posted a copy of war and peace...be a good fan, stand up, dry your eyes, and make some noise.....[/QUOTE]

Again, sorry I cannot be as good as fan.

Short version, discuss the issue not insult the poster.

Last edited:

alarson

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 15, 2006
Ankeny
and for the gentlman that posted a copy of war and peace...be a good fan, stand up, dry your eyes, and make some noise.....

Short version, discuss the issue not insult the poster.

It wasnt that long. This particular poster just reads at a 2nd grade level, and is 'butt hurt' that he spent over an hour reading it.

Cyclone29

Jul 21, 2009
Let me preface this, by saying I fully enjoyed everything about Saturday, except when I got to my seat.

We sit in section 20, and have for the past four years. Our section has always been a section that stands up, cheers and participates in almost ever aspect of the game.

We arrive at the stadium at 10 go through the same pregame as any other game (Saturdays was very nice may I add, great Army tribute before kickoff.)

We got to our seats, absolutey all new faces in our section. Yes shame on those who sold tickets to others.. But SHAME on the people sitting in section 20.

The first play from scrimmage, a fella the row behind us says "Hey why don't you sit down so the rest of us can see." In four years we have never had anyone ask us to sit down, if anything we would have gotten made fun of for sitting down.

Needless to say we spent the first half still doing everything like ever other game, First Down Cheers, making noise on third down.. the usual stuff, while the rest of the section sat on their you know whats...

Sorry to keep rambling, but I guess my questions are:
1. In the right or wrong?
2. Did any of you have to deal with the same thing?

Did this last year.....tell them to spend more money and get a seat infront of you. Its football. If you dont stand a cheer your a ***** ***. Its people like that who ruin the game day experience. If you want to sit and watch stay at home on the couch.

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron