Why do old people

drednot57

Apr 26, 2010
Nevada, IA
Why do young people complain about old people? If it wasn't for us "old people" doing the nasty, you young people wouldn't be here in the first place; any population control freaks would have liked that idea.

:spinny:

Rhoadhoused

Apr 27, 2010
Ames, IA
Sometimes, it seems that the start of a song quiets the crowd. Whereas if they just let the crowd go, the cheering might continue through the time out.

That happens sometimes, but the crowd usually has no trouble cheering through an important timeout and then sitting down and being quiet immediately when the actual game starts going.

Rhoadhoused

Apr 27, 2010
Ames, IA
Yeah, takes people out of going crazy to clap in unison, then sit down when the music stops. I blame the music.

I don't think it is music. Cheering through timeouts is not rare. It happens all the time. Standing after a big run only ever happens at the very end of a close game.

And nobody is asking you to stand the whole game. Just saying that it makes sense to stand and cheer during the actual game when you spend the past 4 minutes screaming and clapping during a timeout. Standing certainly isn't that hard for everyone if you can do it through the whole timeout. It would probably only last another minute or two anyway.

wonkadog

Apr 17, 2006
Ames, IA
I will never understand why so many people leave early. A few, sure, but not droves. Cheering the win is a big part of the overall experience. And leaving when we are down by only a few points like against KU is insane.

If you're talking about the maybe 20 people who actually leave the building then I will wait and let them answer as to why they head out. For the 200th time, the people walking down the stairs are not leaving, they are walking down to watch the rest on the parquet walkway and are still cheering from what I see. Now you can whine about that all day but please quit falsely stating that droves of people are leaving every game early.

NATEizKING

Feb 18, 2011
Hilton
I don't think it is music. Cheering through timeouts is not rare. It happens all the time. Standing after a big run only ever happens at the very end of a close game.

And nobody is asking you to stand the whole game. Just saying that it makes sense to stand and cheer during the actual game when you spend the past 4 minutes screaming and clapping during a timeout. Standing certainly isn't that hard for everyone if you can do it through the whole timeout. It would probably only last another minute or two anyway.

Most people don't know what to do when the music stops

carvers4math

Mar 15, 2012
We were sitting in the parking lot outside Hilton waiting for the K-State game to end and pick up our son for a family event. We had the game on the radio. It was a fairly tight game down the stretch. There was a flood of people leaving from the two minute mark on down. By the time the game ended there were dozens of empty parking spots right in the row we had parked in when we got there that had been full at that time.

NATEizKING

Feb 18, 2011
Hilton
I don't mind people that leave early, it's their loss and let's me get out faster when the game is actually over.

Cyclone06

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 11, 2006
Urbandale
If you're talking about the maybe 20 people who actually leave the building then I will wait and let them answer as to why they head out. For the 200th time, the people walking down the stairs are not leaving, they are walking down to watch the rest on the parquet walkway and are still cheering from what I see. Now you can whine about that all day but please quit falsely stating that droves of people are leaving every game early.

Whatever their reason, they just need to know they look like curmudgeons and I hiss in their direction. I hope they can slow down a bit an enjoy the rest of their life that they are in such a hurry to get back to. Oh and they should know they are adored by Bill Self. Gosh that in itself would make me feel awful.

ImJustKCClone

Ancient Argumentative and Accidental Assassin Ape
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 18, 2013
traipsing thru the treetops

Couple of thoughts about this:

The people trudging down the upper deck stairs tend to block the view of the court for some of us...especially when they stand on the stairs and put their coat on, or pause to watch a possession unfold before continuing their exit. However, their absence is rarely noticed by the tv cameras.

The people leaving from the lower bowl (and students are doing this too) are clearly visible on TV AND to the teams, as are the empty sections they leave behind. Bill Self noticed it, and called a timeout so his team could enjoy watching the fans leave and bask in the humiliation of our team. Even if those fans are standing on the concourse watching, it has to be frustrating for the players. If you don't care about anything else, care about the players.

WhatchaGonnaDo

Jun 28, 2011
The people leaving from the lower bowl (and students are doing this too) are clearly visible on TV AND to the teams, as are the empty sections they leave behind. Bill Self noticed it, and called a timeout so his team could enjoy watching the fans leave and bask in the humiliation of our team. Even if those fans are standing on the concourse watching, it has to be frustrating for the players. If you don't care about anything else, care about the players.
QFT

Cubsfan

Feb 9, 2009
Des Moines
Couple of thoughts about this:

The people trudging down the upper deck stairs tend to block the view of the court for some of us...especially when they stand on the stairs and put their coat on, or pause to watch a possession unfold before continuing their exit. However, their absence is rarely noticed by the tv cameras.

This is so true. It is embarrassing. And this is coming from an "old" person who sits in adult seats.

cyrocksmypants

Dec 29, 2008
Washington DC
1. I never understood why people think you have to make noise. If you're screaming, sure, but I'm happy with the old people just clapping to make noise. It's the student's job to go beserk.

2. Leaving a minute or two before the game ends is not going to get you out of the lot much faster than staying for the whole game. It's like those people that see the left lane is closing for construction so they speed up to pass me and get in front of me. Congrats. You're a whole car length closer than before. Once you're in traffic you're in traffic. You're not beating it by that one minute.

johnnydugouts

Jan 11, 2013
i sit down and watch because i want to have some energy for when the team really needs it.

contrary to popular belief, there is not a fanbase in the universe that stands and gets loud all game.

Cyclonic1

Aug 7, 2012
Sun City, AZ
Stand and get rowdy through timeouts and then once the game starts back up and we've still got momentum, sit back down and shut up?

Not all old people do that - some of us go to the can then right back to the recliner. If I was in Hilton scratch the recliner part.

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron