Where Will ISU End Up if the Big 12 Implodes?

Where Will ISU End Up If the Big 12 Implodes?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

BigJCy

Apr 11, 2006
No offense, but what is your source for 'fanbases'?
According to this the B1G has 9 out of the Top 15 biggest alumni bases. Now I suppose that could be different than "fan bases" but I think that most (not all) of the B1G schools on this list have big, passionate fan bases as well.

BigDH01

Oct 17, 2011
At this point, any meaningful P5 conference looks fine, be it the Big10, Pac12, or some "newly" constituted conference.
Big 10 is my first choice by far. Honestly, anything else and I'm going to be a lot less interested in isu football games. It'd be really nice to play games close.

Reactions: Cydkar

Bestaluckcy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 25, 2009
ISU is my team. I watched when they lost every football game one year. I’ll watch them play as long as I am able. We just may have a little different slate of opponents some year. Hence a different road to the playoffs. It’s not like we have to worry about building a new trophy case for all of our national championships. This year the preseason hype has the cart way before the horse. We have a much tougher schedule than last year. I hope we do well because like I said, I’ll be there if I am able.

cyclone1209

Nov 5, 2010
Denver
Well, when the first 2 are completely unrealistic OU and UT I would say that's pretty good. So I've seen fan sites from OSU, Penn St., and Wisky all write articles speaking highly of ISU joining their conference. That's really surprising honestly.
Right and that's good press. I guess it is surprising, but should it be? we have maybe the best young coach in the entire sport, coming off a Fiesta Bowl win. We've earned this to be in this discussion. And that includes the fan support!

NetflixAndClone

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 6, 2015
The State of Hockey
According to this the B1G has 9 out of the Top 15 biggest alumni bases. Now I suppose that could be different than "fan bases" but I think that most (not all) of the B1G schools on this list have big, passionate fan bases as well.

Minnesota alumni couldn’t give a rip about the gophers. however, I get your point.

• Agree
Reactions: cycophagus

Stormin

Apr 11, 2006
Big 12 Schools will be conscious of the fact that if you increase the profile of an existing G5 School you could be elevating a competitor for a P4 slot. Being a Top 10 Team this year in Football with Matt Campbell certainly helps with our image.

harimad

Jul 28, 2016
Illinois
And one more thing...

You know that whoever is in charge at kNebraska has already called the SEC to inquire about what is up and can they get an invite. :)
Doubtful. Why would they willingly follow Texas anywhere? It would only happen if there B1G suddenly became non-viable.

• Agree
Reactions: CascadeClone

OnlyCyclones

Feb 27, 2017
It's the truth for more fans than not. You didn't sign up for a G5 program, either.
I mean, I think most everyone would still love Iowa State, but I think most of us couldn’t stomach being in the AAC and playing Tulsa, Tulane, ECU, etc every week does absolutely nothing for me.
I understand where you’re coming from, and it would be different. A worse product, certainly. But is the on-field product really why we spend eight hours in Ames on a fall Saturday? It wasn’t when we were 2-10 perennially. Many people will leave, but for those who stay we’ll still have our community. And don’t forget that tickets and parking would be less expensive.

We’d all be very disappointed if we were relegated but I’d encourage everyone on CF—who obviously care more than the average person—to look at the positives. And the way college football is heading, it’s only a matter of time before many more peer institutions would join us playing at a lower level.

Reactions: tim_redd

exCyDing

Nov 29, 2017
Those words have never been uttered for a team that didn't play power league football. All the righteousness of all the CF heroes around here won't translate to support of a G6 ISU football team.
You do you.
I’ve got this all figured out... I don’t know why they haven’t called me yet (maybe this has been mentioned before):

1. OU and Texas go to the SEC to give them 16 teams. They are a part of the SEC west with TAMU, Arkansas, Mizzou, LSU, Ole Miss, and Miss St.

2. West Virginia goes to the ACC where they belong, the ACC then adds Cincy or UCF to give them 16 teams.

3. Okie State, KState, KU, and Tech go west to form the new Pac 16. They become part of the “East Division” with Arizona, ASU, Colorado, and Utah.

4. Iowa State goes to the Big Ten (now called the Big 16 AKA B16) along with Notre Dame to give them 16 teams. West division: ISU, Iowa, Nebraska, Minnesota, Wisconsin, Illinois, Northwestern, Purdue. East Division: Ohio State, Michigan, MSU, PSU, ND, Indiana, Maryland, Rutgers

5. Baylor and TCU head down to the Mountain West or AAC. Sorry TCU. Suck it Baylor.

I could see ND staying independent in all of this, I could also see them having a bidding war and going to the ACC (then the ACC adds them instead of Cincy or UCF). In that case, KU goes to the newly formed B16 instead, and TCU their spot in the Pac 16s east division. Baylor can still suck a fat one.

Welcome to the “Power 4” era of college football.
Point on #2 - ND is part of the ACCs GOR through 2036. If they join a conference in that time frame, it’ll have to be the ACC. That deal was arrived at through mutual interest. IF the ACC expands this round, I’d think they’d take one to keep the final spot for ND, which they’re already halfway occupying.

I don’t see anyone getting elevated to a power conference out of this. As it stands, there may be more P5 schools than spots.

This is all in the hands of the Big 10 and PAC-12, and what each thinks the other is doing. The Big 10 can take their pick of the litter, match the SEC and keep the PAC from gaining much ground.

• Agree
Reactions: t-noah and 2speedy1

MeanDean

SuperFanatic
Jan 5, 2009
Blue Grass IA-Jensen Beach FL
This is all in the hands of the Big 10 and PAC-12, and what each thinks the other is doing. The Big 10 can take their pick of the litter, match the SEC and keep the PAC from gaining much ground.

Yes, if they act promptly. But if they dilly-dally I can't see ISU and KU turning down a group offer to join the PAC 12 with the likes of OSU and TTU.

Not saying a future invite to jump from PAC to B1G would be spurned if it came after that was in effect for a period of time. Just much less likely IMHO.

cycloner29

Dec 17, 2008
Ames
Sorry if this has been asked already, but what happens with the all buyout money if this does come to being? What if other universities in the Big 12 find a home and the Big 12 just folds. Who would get all the buyout money?

exCyDing

Nov 29, 2017
Yes, if they act promptly. But if they dilly-dally I can't see ISU and KU turning down a group offer to join the PAC 12 with the likes of OSU and TTU.

Not saying a future invite to jump from PAC to B1G would be spurned if it came after that was in effect for a period of time. Just much less likely IMHO.
Well, sure. The Big 10 would be the preferred destination. However, if the PAC made an offer and the Big 10 didn’t immediately offer a competing offer, I don’t think there’s any question where we end up.

IceCyIce

Aug 17, 2009
Grimes
Best case scenario is like the termination of employment with a nice severace package. Employee (ISU) get a fat check, then lands the Job the've always wanted (BIG). After that the stress of security is no longer an issue. I'm sure JP always knew this could happen.

The thing's that ISU brings that are not overly relevant include a game day atmosphere that is top shelf. We may have a smaller stadium at 65Kish, but we will have another 15K+ in the tailgating lots. We look amazing on TV as well. Another positive, conferences wont consider, ISU will be a partner. We will not complain our schedule is too tough, or were getting a raw deal. CMC does not operate that way.

Stormin

Apr 11, 2006

The negative aspect for the Big Ten is to let the best potential candidates for expansion be taken. And essentially lock yourself into a 14 team league. PAC 12 takes their pick for a super conference and improves their position from a Conference strength position as well as more time zones to compete with Big Ten Inventory of games. 16 team league. They will have solidified their position as a P4 Conference in a big way.

exCyDing

Nov 29, 2017
The negative aspect for the Big Ten is to let the best potential candidates for expansion be taken. And essentially lock yourself into a 14 team league. PAC 12 takes their pick for a super conference and improves their position from a Conference strength position as well as more time zones to compete with Big Ten Inventory of games. 16 team league. They will have solidified their position as a P4 Conference in a big way.
And that’s what I’m saying. Any move by the Big 10, ACC and PAC 12 is as much offensive as it is defensive. Each of the Remaining VIII likely moves the needle more than any non-P5 school. If conferences want to expand, these are the eight top choices.

Each of the eight easily fits with the Big 10 geographically. WV fits the ACC if they just want one and stay at 15.5. Or they could realize ND is never going to fully join in football and take a pair. None of the eight fit well with the PAC geographically, but taken as a group of 4+ helps it make more sense.

jc4cy

Jun 8, 2015
Iowa
You do you.

Point on #2 - ND is part of the ACCs GOR through 2036. If they join a conference in that time frame, it’ll have to be the ACC. That deal was arrived at through mutual interest. IF the ACC expands this round, I’d think they’d take one to keep the final spot for ND, which they’re already halfway occupying.

I don’t see anyone getting elevated to a power conference out of this. As it stands, there may be more P5 schools than spots.

Damn. I didn’t know about the GOR with ACC part. I kinda figured the “Notre Dame to the Big 10” thing was a super long shot but it would shut up the Big 10 (aka Hawk) fans that would whine about how “the SEC got OU and Texas and we only got KU and ISU.”
Still hopes that, whatever happens, Baylor ends up in the American or Mountain West.

HFCS

Aug 13, 2010
LA LA Land
NY HS football has always been terrible for it’s population. NJ has been pretty good traditionally. 2021 was also a very good recruiting year in Iowa.

Iirc Fry built his early Iowa teams with a lot of NJ guys.

cyIclSoneU

Apr 7, 2016
Thinking about the best case scenario within the worst case scenario (that ISU doesn't latch on elsewhere).

Say all 8 teams stick together as no other league expands. The most valuable addition options are probably BYU, Houston, Cincinnati, and UCF. Say that we get all of them (BYU would not be sure thing to join this league).

Iowa State would be in a Big 12 East with TCU, Houston, Cincinnati, UCF, and West Virginia, with a protected crossover rivalry against K-State. The West Division includes Baylor, Texas Tech, Oklahoma State, Kansas, K-State, and BYU. Other than K-State, we'd play 3 of those 5 teams every year in football.

I wonder how much money that league is worth. It is not a great league by any means. But it is hard to see a much better outcome available if the B1G, Pac-12, and ACC are all off the table.

It is imperative that JP and WW get this university into one of those three conferences.