What's growing? The garden thread.

SCyclone

Mar 11, 2014
Fort Dodge, IA
LiquidFence-Deer-Rabbit.jpg

It works and is about as natural as you are going to find.

It really ******* stinks, though.

nocsious3

Aug 23, 2013
I'm a first time "gardener" this year with 3 plants in pots: sun gold tomato, jalapeno, and serrano pepper. I have no idea what I'm doing but I'm already surprised by how much I love checking on their progress every day!
View attachment 72087

Sungold is awesome. Very sweet. It's an indeterminate type so you might want to watch a youtube video on those. It will produce tomatoes all season if you learn how to stake it and prune it. It's not hard or much work. Watch a video on pruning suckers on indeterminate tomatoes.

Peppers like to be staked too, but I just find a stick for peppers, nothing fancy.

Clonehomer

Apr 11, 2006
What are people seeing for soil temperatures? I've been holding off on pumpkins until it gets a bit warmer. Thinking of just putting strawberries in the second garden this year to reduce the amount of effort in the future. Maybe put some raspberries along our fence.

But I just got to tilling the garden now, so we're a little behind on most things.

michaelrr1

Mar 30, 2006
WDM
Visit site
I always have squirrels taking my tomatoes off the vine. Any suggestions on preventing this? I tried telling them to knock it off, but it never works.

nocsious3

Aug 23, 2013
What are people seeing for soil temperatures? I've been holding off on pumpkins until it gets a bit warmer. Thinking of just putting strawberries in the second garden this year to reduce the amount of effort in the future. Maybe put some raspberries along our fence.

But I just got to tilling the garden now, so we're a little behind on most things.

my 24 hours average soil temp was 63 degrees. I'm sure that's below the historical average. Weekend temps are supposed to be in the 80's though.

BoxsterCy

Staff member
Sep 14, 2009
Minnesota
My rhubarb is up and thriving in the single square yard of partial sunlight I have. Two ancient plants divided from the yuge one that was growing in a rock garden when I bought this house 35 years ago. When you dig up a decades old rhubarb you'll be surprised what a massive woody root it has. Thought I was digging up an old stump!

The rest of yard is so shady there no chance at food gardening. I do have a lot of wild strawberry as ground over. Yields a whopping 1/2 cup of tiny berries each year. Tiny but sweet and tasty.

rhubarb cf scale.jpg

Reactions: 2122 and Proton

Lyon309Cy

Sep 5, 2010
I have a well established and thriving raspberry patch. Nothing else I try to grow seems to work out real well. I was finally on the ball this spring and grew some tomatoes and watermelon from seeds inside, but then jumped the gun and put them in the ground too soon. I have some peas growing great, but otherwise am looking at starting over.

Proton

SuperFanatic
Aug 19, 2019
Peppers, tomatoes, kale, basil, cauliflower, brussels sprouts, chive, swiss chard. Can’t wait for Mother Nature to do her work.

Reactions: nocsious3

Gunnerclone

Jul 16, 2010
DSM
Peppers, tomatoes, kale, basil, cauliflower, brussels sprouts, chive, swiss chard. Can’t wait for Mother Nature to do her work.

Brussels sprouts is a favorite of mine to grow just because they get so much bigger in the garden than the ones you see at the grocery store.

Reactions: Proton

JM4CY

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 23, 2012
America
Time to fire this up since it's gonna finally get warm. Anyone get their garden in yet?

Reactions: cowgirl836

Blackhawk6515

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jul 21, 2008
Time to fire this up since it's gonna finally get warm. Anyone get their garden in yet?
Mine got tilled over the weekend. Looking to plant this weekend. Onion sets. and radishes going in this week.

Marcelason78

Mar 4, 2022
Nope. Don't even have potatoes in yet as it's too wet in SW WI.
All of the flower planters and baskets are planted though and enjoying the heat.

Isualum13

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 27, 2018
I made by backyard garden a little bigger this year and replaced/improved the rabbit fence. Have garlic and onions in the ground for awhile. Planted some squash, zucchini, and pumkins. Put some jalapeños and habeneros in the ground yesterday. Going to go to the greenhouse after my parking selection at 9:30 to get some ghost peppers and some bell peppers as well as various tomatoes.

JM4CY

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 23, 2012
America
I'm almost ready to give up on zuchinni. Every god damn year they are beautiful and producing like crazy then a vine borer gets them and they go to hell. I've been regular with sprays, etc. and it doesn't do any good. I have limited space where my garden is and they take up so much room that I am almost ready to give up on them even though I like them a lot.

• Informative
Reactions: cowgirl836

cowgirl836

Sep 3, 2009
South Central WI put in potatoes, arugula, Spinach, Lettuce mix, carrots, 2 kinds of snap peas in raised beds 2 weeks ago. Bit risky with cool Temps but everything was at least partially up Friday. Bought tomatoes yesterday, hoping to plant tomorrow if I can get my irises that we put in the garden for winter moved out and spouse can get main garden tilled. Will wait til later this month for sweet peppers, beans, Zucchini, cucumber and herbs. Wouldn't mind doing herbs now but have a pergola going in any day and my new bed for the herbs is around one of the posts.

Seeing 90s this week I'm so tempted to get peppers too but next week is cooler. Should start all my annual flowers too but we still have about 50 of 100 perennials and trees to plant.

Clonedogg

Sep 4, 2009
CR, IA
biblehub.com
We were going to skip ours this year because we are moving this month. With the late spring, we maybe able to get a partial one in at the new place still. On the other hand, we don't even have a plot picked out, and we have a long list of other things to do before we move in...:confused:

cycloner29

Dec 17, 2008
Ames

50 tomato plants have been in the ground for around 2 weeks. 40 pepper plants also and 3 rows of onions. Also 18 rhubarb plants that are about ready to start harvesting. Two hills of pickles and three cauliflower plants put in last week. My garden size is around 25' x 21' so I try and maximize spacing. I have of eight of the pepper plants in planter boxes. I bought a bale of prairie hay to spread out over it to help weed control and retain moisture. I will probably wait a couple more days to spread it out to help let the soil temps increase. Might hit my tomato plants with a little calcium fertilizer. I did sprinkle some Epsom salt in each hole I dug. I also added piece of banana peel to the bottom. I added Epsom salt last year and my plants really took off and produced! I'll wait and see what the banana peel does. Will also hit the plants with copper fungicide maybe this week or next.

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron